Derby Situation

According to reports this morning it looks like there’s a chance Derby could go to the wall 

No one wants to see this happen but if they were to liquidate would we have our league position reinstated à la Stevenage?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

According to reports this morning it looks like there’s a chance Derby could go to the wall 

No one wants to see this happen but if they were to liquidate would we have our league position reinstated à la Stevenage?

The stellar signings we've made for NL level would no longer be stellar

40 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

Or would they take the opportunity to punish the pitch invasion and reinstate Scunthorpe instead?

47 minutes ago, GKing521 said:

If that's the case, will the supporters groups be advising fans to pack the park and back Sheridan to ensure we don't drop out of the football league again...?

9 minutes ago, Chaddyexile84 said:

Or would they take the opportunity to punish the pitch invasion and reinstate Scunthorpe instead?

Think the precedent would be that the team who finished highest would stay in the EFL, think that's why Stevenage got a reprieve when Macclesfield went bust. 

But it's a good point; if it was to happen, then I could imagine the EFL slapping us with a huge points deduction after the invasions...

6 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

If that's the case, will the supporters groups be advising fans to pack the park and back Sheridan to ensure we don't drop out of the football league again...?

We've got two seasons to try and get back otherwise I fear we will be a non league team for the foreseeable, on that basis I think we need to work alongside Abdallah to find new owners as well as giving the club the best chance of bouncing back by supporting Shez and the team, for me everyone has backed themselves in to a corner here and it's turned in to a bit of a dick waving contest where there will be no winners, lots of bridges burned, dialogue down to nil and nobody appears to want to back down, all adds up to the football club being worse off, sliding down the pyramid for what? 

I've asked this half a dozen times on here and had no response so if anyone could answer it from the protest groups I'd appreciate it;

If Shez did the near on impossible and kept us up would the fans continued to support him in League 2 again next season?

Why was it important and support was needed for us to maintain our EFL status but it isn't important whilst we have the benefit of a couple of seasons worth of parachute payments to regain it?

20 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

We've got two seasons to try and get back otherwise I fear we will be a non league team for the foreseeable, on that basis I think we need to work alongside Abdallah to find new owners

Can't answer your other points, but there is no working alongside Abdallah to find new owners. He isn't interested in either working or having a positive relationship with the fans, nor is he interested in selling while this court case is ongoing. In my opinion any money now being handed over to the club will go on whatever Barry Owen decides to spend it on - he's clearly in charge. And all their focus is on the court case, not the football club. If it was on the football club they'd have done something more to try and stay up in January.

With Shez in charge and a handful of above average signings there should be just enough to keep us up, maybe even have us around mid table. This will then be painted as a success. Even if there were 10,000 season ticket holders, there is no chance they're funding a promotion charge while there are still legal bills to pay and AL feels he's owed money back on his investments.

23 minutes ago, sleeuwenhoek said:

Championship would probably continue with 23 teams as league 1 did in 19/20 when Bury were expelled having won promotion the previous year. 

Bury didn't go bust until after the season started. 

Think the key cut-off will be June 30th as that is when one season ends and the next begins. If Derby go bust before then, we may get a reprieve. After then I think it is considerably less likely. 

Even with this set-back and apparently Kirchner is still trying to complete the takeover I can see Derby surviving until June 30th.

If the situation isn't clearer in a fortnight, like last year, I can see the EFL doing a number of fixture lists one lot with Derby in League 1 and one lot with Gillingham in League 1 and us in League 2. If that doesn't happen I think we won't get the reprieve.

45 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

We've got two seasons to try and get back otherwise I fear we will be a non league team for the foreseeable, on that basis I think we need to work alongside Abdallah to find new owners as well as giving the club the best chance of bouncing back by supporting Shez and the team, for me everyone has backed themselves in to a corner here and it's turned in to a bit of a dick waving contest where there will be no winners, lots of bridges burned, dialogue down to nil and nobody appears to want to back down, all adds up to the football club being worse off, sliding down the pyramid for what? 

I've asked this half a dozen times on here and had no response so if anyone could answer it from the protest groups I'd appreciate it;

If Shez did the near on impossible and kept us up would the fans continued to support him in League 2 again next season?

Why was it important and support was needed for us to maintain our EFL status but it isn't important whilst we have the benefit of a couple of seasons worth of parachute payments to regain it?

Indeed. Presumably the majority of home boycotters want to see a winning team away from home so their actions make no sense.

42 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Indeed. Presumably the majority of home boycotters want to see a winning team away from home so their actions make no sense.

Not like you to talk nonsense eyresie. I don't particularly care if the team I'm watching at away games wins or not - wins are nice, but if I wanted to see more wins than draws/defeats I'd go watch city, not Oldham. I want a club I can be proud of. That's why I'm not renewing my season ticket. That's why I'm going to swerve most home games. That's why I've binned off ifollow, and other contributions to the club. With the ultimate aim of making it more and more painful for the owner to remain in position. Till he leaves. Simple really.

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

I’ll answer it for you @yarddog73

Abdallah Lemsagam announced his intention to sell the club on January 11 this year.

He said about the sale: “My team is speaking to certain credible bidders and I am happy to speak to others.”

Furthermore, Abdallah stated at the time:  “In the short term, I am now focused on improving the squad to fight the relegation battle we are now in.

"I would ask that every section of the fan base gets behind the team, whatever you think about me it is in everyone's interests that our great club wins this battle."

Sheridan was appointed as manager on January 22 this year.

The vast majority of fans believed that Abdallah’s intentions were good and rallied to the cause suspending many of the protests. Dropping out of the football league was unthinkable.

Abdallah failed to deliver on his promises and the unthinkable happened.

Since then he has remained aloof and distant allowing his representatives at the club to treat the supporters with contempt and run us further into the ground.

We are not falling for his deception again and the boycott is back on.

Hope that helps.

51 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

It only "makes no sense" if you are not driven by morality and principles. Plus, while we are at it, a desire to protect the long term sustainability of your football club.  It is currently suffering existential damage and some of you are talking about working alongside the people who have inflicted it.

It's the kind of muddled thinking you see in battered wives who keep giving him "one more chance" and then wonder why they are in A&E for the third time in six months.

I personally hope Derby County do survive and are taken over, irrespective of what our situation is. 

Derby are one of the founding members of the Football league and the effect of their loss/ liquidation would be massive for their support base which is massively greater than ours and their community.  We can hardly go requesting support from the footballing community as a whole when we are looking to potentially profit from another club's bad situation. 

They have been done over by inappropriate and reckless behaviour of their owners very much like we have. 

There is absolutely no chance of Abdallah ever working with OAFC fans for the good of the club or even to sell the club, he has shown over last 4 years he doesn't give two shits about OAFC, the club, the tradition, the fans....nothing. There will never be happiness at OAFC until him and his dreadful regime have gone.   

I don't care about the status of OAFC, i am a supporter and could never support anyone else. I cannot abide the shoddy way that the owners and Board and advisers operate, I cannot abide the mendacious way they treat people, to me I would rather they just went and we could rebuild OUR club and honour OUR club's culture and traditions and respect everyone else who operates in the way we want OUR Club to operate.    

45 minutes ago, oafcmetty said:

Not like you to talk nonsense eyresie. I don't particularly care if the team I'm watching at away games wins or not - wins are nice, but if I wanted to see more wins than draws/defeats I'd go watch city, not Oldham. I want a club I can be proud of. That's why I'm not renewing my season ticket. That's why I'm going to swerve most home games. That's why I've binned off ifollow, and other contributions to the club. With the ultimate aim of making it more and more painful for the owner to remain in position. Till he leaves. Simple really.

For a guy who doesn't care about whether they win or not, you were quite angry on the way back from Harrogate...

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

"We need to work alongside Abdallah"

That's a lot of money on air travel to Dubai.😆

1 hour ago, oafcmetty said:

Spoken like a true hipster.

33 minutes ago, unsworth blue said:

I personally hope Derby County do survive and are taken over, irrespective of what our situation is. 

Derby are one of the founding members of the Football league and the effect of their loss/ liquidation would be massive for their support base which is massively greater than ours and their community.  We can hardly go requesting support from the footballing community as a whole when we are looking to potentially profit from another club's bad situation. 

They have been done over by inappropriate and reckless behaviour of their owners very much like we have. 

There is absolutely no chance of Abdallah ever working with OAFC fans for the good of the club or even to sell the club, he has shown over last 4 years he doesn't give two shits about OAFC, the club, the tradition, the fans....nothing. There will never be happiness at OAFC until him and his dreadful regime have gone.   

I don't care about the status of OAFC, i am a supporter and could never support anyone else. I cannot abide the shoddy way that the owners and Board and advisers operate, I cannot abide the mendacious way they treat people, to me I would rather they just went and we could rebuild OUR club and honour OUR club's culture and traditions and respect everyone else who operates in the way we want OUR Club to operate.    

Great post.

I think the Derby issue may be something of a red herring. If they do get slung out of the EFL - which I assume will be done at the AGM, if at all possible - then I think that is is more likely that they will play with 23 clubs in L1 than them saving Oldham. Because is they try to do the latter they would need to agree that with the NL, who would  have to play one short themselves instead. Stranger things have happened though.

1 hour ago, basilrobbie said:

It only "makes no sense" if you are not driven by morality and principles. Plus, while we are at it, a desire to protect the long term sustainability of your football club.  It is currently suffering existential damage and some of you are talking about working alongside the people who have inflicted it.

It's the kind of muddled thinking you see in battered wives who keep giving him "one more chance" and then wonder why they are in A&E for the third time in six months.

Looking like nothing is happening until the court case is resolved so all that's going to happen is the owner continuing cutting the cloth accordingly and fans whinging about quality of players and results.

3 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Looking like nothing is happening until the court case is resolved so all that's going to happen is the owner continuing cutting the cloth accordingly and fans whinging about quality of players and results.

Do you believe that if there was an increase in season ticket sales that excess money would go on increasing the budget for the playing squad?

Archived