BPAS PODCAST: 29th Aug '22, S3E4: Is Consolidation A Dirty Word?

3 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Not sure I'd describe referring to events that occurred a few weeks ago as dragging up the past but each to their own...

Even yesterday and 8 o'clock this morning is the past, let it go.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, disjointed said:

As an aside I thought Mcgahey had a decent game at York and is OK at this level, him and Sheron should be fine, just need another midfielder to complement Dan the man. 

McGahey looked OK for spells last season.

Problem was he was then shite for longer spells. 

I can't see why that would change 

[edit] I now realise this was in "the past" and, as such, we should "let it go". Sorry C O Jones.

Mods feel free to delete.  

2 hours ago, BPAS said:

…..he never gave an extension to McGahey. He’s wanted rid of him all summer. But, the point is, the reason why he did sign some, is he had slim pickings elsewhere….. cos we were an unattractive basket case….. now we’re not…..

McGahey signed on a revised contract for one year, as per the EFL embargo. He is now here for a second year. It was widely reported that Sheridan would not stand for any interference, so who offered McGahey a second year...?

9 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

McGahey signed on a revised contract for one year, as per the EFL embargo. He is now here for a second year. It was widely reported that Sheridan would not stand for any interference, so who offered McGahey a second year...?

I reckon shitpeas was probably acting as chairman/ceo/sporting director before his demise so he could well of been responsible. 

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

If we were days away from the club going under as has been suggested then I'm struggling to see the previous owners agreeing to the manager and his assistant signing an extended contract and 8-9 new signings...

We weren't, were we? No court listing against the club apart from the obvious ongoing stand issue. You can't just immediately liquidate a football club. The situation was bleak but no way on this earth were we days away from liquidation...

11 hours ago, BPAS said:

There’s being happy with consolidation, and there’s accepting a year of sorting out the mess created from over a decade of neglect that brings about a better structure, culture and ultimately a better first team

But Frank, Darren et al strike me as types who can multi task very effectively.

Give them a bit more credit. 

It seems with some a lot of things they called (rightly, in my opinion) the Lemsagam's out for not doing, things they'd describe along the lines of being "simple/quick/easy/basic", are now apparently going to take a lot of time and won't be simple/quick/easy/basic.

Which is it?

Thankfully noises from certain circles suggest FR/DR etc don't want the rope some are trying to offer them and are desperate to crack on both on and off the pitch with a firm eye on having us right up there come May. 

9 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

Thankfully noises from certain circles suggest FR/DR etc don't want the rope some are trying to offer them and are desperate to crack on both on and off the pitch with a firm eye on having us right up there come May. 

If true then this is really positive mainly as I trust them to do this sensibly given what they've done to date. What i'd like us to do as a club is have an infrastructure set up to the standard of the division above where we currently are in any given season. None of this can't afford to get promoted bollocks. We should be prepared for it eg be able to deal with large crowds, and have good training facilities and youth systems. This is the stuff that takes time and money invested.  

5 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

If true then this is really positive mainly as I trust them to do this sensibly given what they've done to date. What i'd like us to do as a club is have an infrastructure set up to the standard of the division above where we currently are in any given season. None of this can't afford to get promoted bollocks. We should be prepared for it eg be able to deal with large crowds, and have good training facilities and youth systems. This is the stuff that takes time and money invested.  

If that money isn't coming direct from the owner then it has to come from crowds, are supporters going to keep turning up en masse if there are no signs of the team and results improving? I would suggest not.

27 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

We weren't, were we? No court listing against the club apart from the obvious ongoing stand issue. You can't just immediately liquidate a football club. The situation was bleak but no way on this earth were we days away from liquidation...

You are right, but if the club under the old regime chose not to oppose a winding up order it wouldn't have taken very long.  

1 hour ago, HarryBosch said:

But Frank, Darren et al strike me as types who can multi task very effectively.

Give them a bit more credit. 

It seems with some a lot of things they called (rightly, in my opinion) the Lemsagam's out for not doing, things they'd describe along the lines of being "simple/quick/easy/basic", are now apparently going to take a lot of time and won't be simple/quick/easy/basic.

Which is it?

Fixing & cleaning seats, getting a fans bar opened, filling in potholes, making the club more inclusive - all simple/quick/easy/basic - done them already.

Changing the culture of the club, installing an effective scouting network to find young talent in the area, improving facilities for the 1st team & academy to create better players. Not simple/quick/easy/basic.

Significantly improving Boundary Park for supporters, a decent Junior Latics facility, top floor of the JR stand finished, rail seating in parts of the ground. Not simple/quick/easy/basic, will require completion of BP & land sale to go through ~& court case formally dropped (it's still not) and require some capital.

They've already said they don't want to be down here for long, I don't want to in League Two for long when we do get back there either..... however, I'm prepared to be patient. If just endured 10+ years of it, what's another 12 months?

We should be beating teams in this league I’m sorry. I understand we havnt finished above 15th for what 12 years ? For me we have to be in the top 10 this year, I’d take that. Top 10 of national league isnt much to ask is it ? Not when you are getting the attendances we are it isn’t, not for me anyways. 

4 hours ago, deyres42 said:

If we were days away from the club going under as has been suggested then I'm struggling to see the previous owners agreeing to the manager and his assistant signing an extended contract and 8-9 new signings...

Totally agree with this 🔝

After the Harrogate match and the sacking of the the then manager and the clamber to get King Lord John back by most of the fans and the groups that represent them I have often wondered who was making all these executive decisions. I think there was more going on in the background long before Frank eventually took over.

55 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

If that money isn't coming direct from the owner then it has to come from crowds, are supporters going to keep turning up en masse if there are no signs of the team and results improving? I would suggest not.

How do you know they haven't already earmarked some of their own capital for this? Also there are additional revenue streams that are more consistent - hospitality/boxes/100 club seats etc.  All ignored by previous owners and probably not maxed out yet.

Of course you're right about the crowds dropping off if don't see any improvements on the pitch (although impossible to say by how much), but on the flip side providing more reason for fans to be at the ground longer than 3-5pm will mean more revenue from those that do keep coming. So spending money improving facilities then generates further income to be reinvested. If you spend that money instead on player wages above existing budget levels and it doesn't work, then where to next? That money would be gone.

2 minutes ago, philwhite said:

Totally agree with this 🔝

After the Harrogate match and the sacking of the the then manager and the clamber to get King Lord John back by most of the fans and the groups that represent them I have often wondered who was making all these executive decisions. I think there was more going on in the background long before Frank eventually took over.

It's widely known that it was Barry Owen who forced the Sheridan return. He was phoning fans the evening of the Harrogate game to say it was all done and dusted, hours before the official statement from the football club...

13 minutes ago, BPAS said:

They've already said they don't want to be down here for long, I don't want to in League Two for long when we do get back there either..... however, I'm prepared to be patient. If just endured 10+ years of it, what's another 12 months?

So because we have been crap for ten years, we might as well be crap for another year...?

15 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

So because we have been crap for ten years, we might as well be crap for another year...?

If that crap, but less crap, year gives a better chance of long term success, then yes. Key is that the the less crap year has to give widespread confidence that long term success is more likely. 

26 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

How do you know they haven't already earmarked some of their own capital for this? Also there are additional revenue streams that are more consistent - hospitality/boxes/100 club seats etc.  All ignored by previous owners and probably not maxed out yet.

Of course you're right about the crowds dropping off if don't see any improvements on the pitch (although impossible to say by how much), but on the flip side providing more reason for fans to be at the ground longer than 3-5pm will mean more revenue from those that do keep coming. So spending money improving facilities then generates further income to be reinvested. If you spend that money instead on player wages above existing budget levels and it doesn't work, then where to next? That money would be gone.

If they have then it contradicts Mr Rothwell's quote that all the investment money has been spent.

People seem to have improved facilities and hospo pegged as some kind of golden goose, basing your business model on that given the shitstorm that is about affect all walks of life seems like pretty risky business to me...

38 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I didn't frame it like that.....but if that appeals to your requirement to sensationalise it for maximum effect, you crack on.....

2 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

McGahey looked OK for spells last season.

Problem was he was then shite for longer spells. 

I can't see why that would change 

[edit] I now realise this was in "the past" and, as such, we should "let it go". Sorry C O Jones.

Mods feel free to delete.  

Made me smile.

3 minutes ago, BPAS said:

I didn't frame it like that.....but if that appeals to your requirement to sensationalise it for maximum effect, you crack on.....

You said we have been crap for ten years so what difference does another year make. I've not sensationalised anything...

53 minutes ago, BPAS said:

Fixing & cleaning seats, getting a fans bar opened, filling in potholes, making the club more inclusive - all simple/quick/easy/basic - done them already.

Changing the culture of the club, installing an effective scouting network to find young talent in the area, improving facilities for the 1st team & academy to create better players. Not simple/quick/easy/basic.

Significantly improving Boundary Park for supporters, a decent Junior Latics facility, top floor of the JR stand finished, rail seating in parts of the ground. Not simple/quick/easy/basic, will require completion of BP & land sale to go through ~& court case formally dropped (it's still not) and require some capital.

I don't think many supporters aren't prepared to be patient.

Assuming you can see everything going in the right direction, which I'm sure will be the case.

You've said "a year" and "12 months" now though. Very specific. Some would describe that as you being impatient.

Where's the line and who gets to draw it? 😀

Back to the original post though - there've been many who've literally said they'd be "happy" with a season of consolidation.

Some though have even said they don't want promotion "too soon". DON'T. WANT. PROMOTION. 🙅‍♂️ 

27 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

People seem to have improved facilities and hospo pegged as some kind of golden goose, basing your business model on that given the shitstorm that is about affect all walks of life seems like pretty risky business to me...

I don't think it has anything to do with creating a "golden goose". It's about making the club more commercially sustainable (it hasn't been, for a while), and more attractive as a landing point for good players (ditto). 

Our owner at Blackpool seems to believe that you need to improve in all areas if you want to progress, because the added value in the different parts of the business tend to reinforce each other. Sounds sensible to me.

The second half of your last sentence makes no sense, by the way. If you think getting people interested in your product is about to get a lot harder (and I agree with you, it is), then investing in it to brig it up to a competitive standard seems more pressing, not less.

36 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

If they have then it contradicts Mr Rothwell's quote that all the investment money has been spent.

You're taking what he said literally and then ignoring the context which was in answer to his own question about splashing money on signings. We know absolutely nothing about what money has already been invested or is planned to be invested. He's also talked about wanting to get other businesses on board for further investment. 

I don't understand the 2nd bit, are you saying that because of the cost of living crisis and rising energy bills that hospitality should be ignored? I don't think anyone has said it's a golden goose, just that it makes sense to try and attract people and businesses into that to increase the club's revenue? If you don't agree with that way of doing things, are you suggesting that all available money should go into player wages and transfer fees? That doesn't seem any less risky to me.

Archived