BPAS PODCAST: 29th Aug '22, S3E4: Is Consolidation A Dirty Word?

I was reading an article in the Sunday Times the other week about Wrexham inparticularly about Rob Mcelhenney and Ryan Reynolds take over. A director from Maidstone was quoted saying the average wage bill in the National League is £1million Can we honestly say ours is at this moment in time bigger than that? The only "Stellar signings" we made at this level was Liam Hogan who is now out for 3 months and probably Dan Gardner. Overall its a squad of players who are competent at this level but we lack that bit of extra quality at the moment to get out of it.

That point of view might change as the season goes on, but right now given the talent available and the budget to recruit I'd say mid table is probably about par for us.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Theoutsider said:

Hoping @BPAS can help me out as I can’t find it… 

But on one of the Podcasts there was a clip talking to Luke Rothwell, as part of Fanzone (I think)  

Mentioned “exciting things” they will announce when they can.   

I came away from listening feeling really positive given the way Luke spoke, clearly there is more investment coming 

That is a big leap of faith but extremely welcome, if true.

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

I'm not sure whether we are underperforming on the pitch or whether we are underperforming against what we hoped for on the pitch. 

I’d say both. 

The fact that we can actually play some decent stuff, albeit in short spells, only confirms that we are underperforming for the rest of the time 😉

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

I'm not sure whether we are underperforming on the pitch or whether we are underperforming against what we hoped for on the pitch. 

I suppose that depends on the individual’s aspirations/hope for the season. 

For me, the squad isn’t good enough at the minute to be challenging the top 3. But the performances should be a lot better than they are.  The same things are happening, Shez himself keeps saying we started slowly or we don’t the basics- well. . . why is that?? 

We haven’t had one 90 minute performance yet, and if we play like we have recently I really fear for us on Saturday. 

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

I was reading an article in the Sunday Times the other week about Wrexham inparticularly about Rob Mcelhenney and Ryan Reynolds take over. A director from Maidstone was quoted saying the average wage bill in the National League is £1million Can we honestly say ours is at this moment in time bigger than that? The only "Stellar signings" we made at this level was Liam Hogan who is now out for 3 months and probably Dan Gardner. Overall its a squad of players who are competent at this level but we lack that bit of extra quality at the moment to get out of it.

That point of view might change as the season goes on, but right now given the talent available and the budget to recruit I'd say mid table is probably about par for us.

Regarding budget, I'm sure I remember our budget being described as competitive at the takeover press conference...

1 minute ago, doctor evil said:

Regarding budget, I'm sure I remember our budget being described as competitive at the takeover press conference...

Competitive could mean a few things. I reckon it's alot less than Wrexham but probably bigger than Wealdstone's. Only the owners really know and I imagine it's one of the main things they will judge the Managers performance on over the course of the season.

On 8/31/2022 at 11:39 AM, LightDN123 said:

We should be beating teams in this league I’m sorry. I understand we havnt finished above 15th for what 12 years ? For me we have to be in the top 10 this year, I’d take that. Top 10 of national league isnt much to ask is it ? Not when you are getting the attendances we are it isn’t, not for me anyways. 

Surely you haven't forgotten our 14th place finish in L2 in 2018/19?! :peepwall:

On 9/1/2022 at 10:28 AM, Dave_Og said:

Is the article written by Luke Rothwell in the Aldershot programme available to read anywhere?

Not as far as I am aware… I have got the programme though and one from today which has an interview with Su Schofield…. 

I’ve tried to post them on here as pictures but file sizes too large. 

if you are happy with another means of communication (email?) happy to send them to you. 

5 minutes ago, Theoutsider said:

Not as far as I am aware… I have got the programme though and one from today which has an interview with Su Schofield…. 

I’ve tried to post them on here as pictures but file sizes too large. 

if you are happy with another means of communication (email?) happy to send them to you. 

It's in the post before yours

• Matt unfeatured this topic

Archived