BPAS PODCAST: 29th Aug '22, S3E4: Is Consolidation A Dirty Word?

After a late winner against Aldershot on Friday night & before a big following at York today, we assess the mood between the #consolidationlads&lasses vs the #cantakerouslads&lasses

To support the pod by paying a monthly subscription of just £2.99 via this link https://anchor.fm/bp-alert/subscribe. All the regular episodes will remain free to everyone. You can now also listen to the Latics Football Phone In as a podcast every Thursday morning from 7am.

You can also support us by visiting https://www.oafcpodcast.co.uk, subscribing to our mailing list and purchasing from our online shop.

Follow the show on Twitter, Instagram & Facebook @oafcpodcast. Please subscribe to our YouTube channel here

Download and listen to the podcast via the FanHub app, where content creators and fans alike are rewarded for getting involved #ctg.

You can find out more about Push The Boundary by visiting them at www.pushtheboundary.co.uk and following on Twitter @PTB_OAFC. Find out more about OASF at www.oasf.co.uk where you can also donate to the 1895 Fund.

Title music is by Manchester DJ and producer Starion find out more at www.redlaserrecords.bandcamp.com

• Matt featured this topic
  • Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Staggers me that people would be happy with consolidation in this pathetic excuse of a division.

I've had this debate time and time again with Andy in particular, but the manager himself came out and said we should be up near the top end of the division, that he was happy with the signings he had made and was happy with the budget he was given. It then gets chucked out by the consolidation lads that "well, he's hardly going to say it's crap is it?" Sheridan has never been one to hold back his thoughts and if he wasn't happy with his budget, he wouldn't have stayed when offered the opportunity to in May. 

Another thing that gets trotted out is "Stockport started off badly last season." Which is true. But then they sacked their manager and brought one in who knew what it takes in this division and off they went.

It's a crap division with crap teams and crap players. We should be at the top end of it...

5 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I understand the thinking regarding consolidation even if I don't necessarily agree with it. I don't understand why so many think it can only be done with Sheri at the wheel.

The fact we have changed managers so often in the last few years, and had nothing but failure gives people an aversion to change. For the record I am in the consolidation boat, but I honestly think that Shez will walk when he feels the time is right. There are still a lot of changes happening within the club, a period of stability may be for the best in the long term. 

30 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

It's the consolidation Lads and Lasses btw we fully welcome female members as alot of women not only like football, understand the game and in some cases can play it pretty well too. #Hergametoo.

Well it was my good friend Andy Halliwell who made the comment I attributed to the consolidation lads. Unless Andy isn't telling us something, he is a male. Therefore, I stand by my comment.

Female opinions are, as they have been for as long as I remember, welcome...

16 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Let's be honest, that time was May. He should never have stayed on for this season...

In your mind yes, but Shez has a different thought process. 

I'm prepared to give him a bit longer, for me we only need a couple of players in the right positions to make us into a side competing near the top of the table. 

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Staggers me that people would be happy with consolidation in this pathetic excuse of a division.

I've had this debate time and time again with Andy in particular, but the manager himself came out and said we should be up near the top end of the division, that he was happy with the signings he had made and was happy with the budget he was given. It then gets chucked out by the consolidation lads that "well, he's hardly going to say it's crap is it?" Sheridan has never been one to hold back his thoughts and if he wasn't happy with his budget, he wouldn't have stayed when offered the opportunity to in May. 

Another thing that gets trotted out is "Stockport started off badly last season." Which is true. But then they sacked their manager and brought one in who knew what it takes in this division and off they went.

It's a crap division with crap teams and crap players. We should be at the top end of it...

You lost me at "pathetic excuse". It is anything but that. It's arguably of at least the standard you see in L2, and most of the clubs who are delivering that standard are doing it on a fraction of the resources you get in the EFL. Instead of sneering at the clubs around you, you might be better served looking closely at them and trying to learn from them. Hopefully the people at the club are doing this.

Just now, basilrobbie said:

You lost me at "pathetic excuse". It is anything but that. It's arguably of at least the standard you see in L2, and most of the clubs who are delivering that standard are doing it on a fraction of the resources you get in the EFL. Instead of sneering at the clubs around you, you might be better served looking closely at them and trying to learn from them. Hopefully the people at the club are doing this.

You've never been in this division have you...?

There’s being happy with consolidation, and there’s accepting a year of sorting out the mess created from over a decade of neglect that brings about a better structure, culture and ultimately a better first team, from which to launch a real assault on promotion next season & if necessary the season after. One thing is for certain, we need a decent striker to stand any chance of threatening the right end of the table and we don’t currently have one of those.

Paddy likes to tell me Shez recruited all these players, said he was happy with his budget & who he had signed. That much may be largely factually correct - although it isn’t for Liuetwiler, McGahey, Clarke - but we weren’t in the market for players who had much choice (probably why we ended up resigning Stobbs) while we weren’t owned & run well with a proper board of Directors. We hopefully have that now, but it will take them time IMO.

34 minutes ago, BPAS said:

There’s being happy with consolidation, and there’s accepting a year of sorting out the mess created from over a decade of neglect that brings about a better structure, culture and ultimately a better first team, from which to launch a real assault on promotion next season & if necessary the season after. One thing is for certain, we need a decent striker to stand any chance of threatening the right end of the table and we don’t currently have one of those.

Paddy likes to tell me Shez recruited all these players, said he was happy with his budget & who he had signed. That much may be largely factually correct - although it isn’t for Liuetwiler, McGahey, Clarke - but we weren’t in the market for players who had much choice (probably why we ended up resigning Stobbs) while we weren’t owned & run well with a proper board of Directors. We hopefully have that now, but it will take them time IMO.

Sheridan gave contract extensions to all 3 of them...

44 minutes ago, basilrobbie said:

And it's nowhere near the standard of League 2. That's why teams who get promoted to L2 sign at least 10 players in the summer to get themselves ready for a much higher standard of division...

9 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Sheridan gave contract extensions to all 3 of them...

…..he never gave an extension to McGahey. He’s wanted rid of him all summer. But, the point is, the reason why he did sign some, is he had slim pickings elsewhere….. cos we were an unattractive basket case….. now we’re not…..

9 hours ago, basilrobbie said:

From what I've seen so far, this league is comfortably of a lower standard than league 2. Granted we've played below average teams so far.

10 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

If we were days away from the club going under as has been suggested then I'm struggling to see the previous owners agreeing to the manager and his assistant signing an extended contract and 8-9 new signings...

Why does it matter? Why do people insist on dragging up what has gone before? It's happened, it's in the past, forget about it, move on.

A point I feel that those who want promotion or bust are missing here is that while those of us who will take consolidation from this season. We still want to see progress.

I don't expect promotion I do expect to see Improvement over a 12 month period both on and off the pitch.

17 minutes ago, C.O.JONES said:

Why does it matter? Why do people insist on dragging up what has gone before? It's happened, it's in the past, forget about it, move on.

It is being used as an excuse to defend the manager over his recruitment. I think my man deyres42 has a point...

1 hour ago, BPAS said:

…..he never gave an extension to McGahey. He’s wanted rid of him all summer. But, the point is, the reason why he did sign some, is he had slim pickings elsewhere….. cos we were an unattractive basket case….. now we’re not…..

As an aside I thought Mcgahey had a decent game at York and is OK at this level, him and Sheron should be fine, just need another midfielder to complement Dan the man. 

For me consolidation is mostly separate to the question over the manager's job. My definition of consolidation is on a business level where time and money needs to go on sorting the structure of the club out. Unlike the go for it gang, I'd rather not chuck money at player wages for a promotion push at this stage in the season.  What I was hoping for on the pod was a bit more detail from the go for it gang. The idea seemingly to be we should go for it because we're massive and should be winning every week. What does that mean? How many players? What standard? What wage level should we be committing to? What happens if we don't get promotion? The argument that the extra fans we have in now would drift away if we don't win every week doesn't hold - what happens if we got promoted, do we have to throw money at the squad for promotion next season to keep winning to try and keep those who are only there for the wins coming back? It just seems like a recipe for disaster.

And you can't compare cleaning the seats and filling potholes with lack of big name signings. I don't think the few hundred quid Frank spent on jet washers and bags of concrete would have made that much of a dent in the playing budget.

When it comes to Shez, consolidating the business side of the club doesn't mean you hang onto the manager indefinitely. But I think Shez has earned the right to a bit of time and also to have a say in his own future to some degree. We've had an average start, playing well in patches and still could very well bring in a forward who could make a big difference to the team without having to pay £6k per week to Will Grigg or someone like that.  If we don't start playing well for longer spells, or if we start drifting down the table then I reckon Shez will think it right for him to step aside. 

I am off the mind that we are a big scalp to have in this league.

Therefore oppos upp their game to win. Sort of their FA cup final which makes them unpredictable.

On/off the field it's getting stuff right. Buying the asset plus surrounding land is a massive step and commitment. Pulling it all together with infrastructure is going to take time.

Frank has the contacts, and business experience. He has appointed a board and hopefully will empower it.

The new fan committee shows the club are mindful of reform and capturing supporter feedback

It's going to be one helkuva a ride regardless

1 hour ago, C.O.JONES said:

Not sure I'd describe referring to events that occurred a few weeks ago as dragging up the past but each to their own...

Archived