BPAS PODCAST: 29th Aug '22, S3E4: Is Consolidation A Dirty Word?

2 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

You're taking what he said literally and then ignoring the context which was in answer to his own question about splashing money on signings. We know absolutely nothing about what money has already been invested or is planned to be invested. He's also talked about wanting to get other businesses on board for further investment. 

I don't understand the 2nd bit, are you saying that because of the cost of living crisis and rising energy bills that hospitality should be ignored? I don't think anyone has said it's a golden goose, just that it makes sense to try and attract people and businesses into that to increase the club's revenue? If you don't agree with that way of doing things, are you suggesting that all available money should go into player wages and transfer fees? That doesn't seem any less risky to me.

Well we have a figure of 12 million and a quote from Mr Rothwell saying all his investment money has been spent, if there's a different way of interpreting that then I'm all ears.

Not saying facilities and hospo should be ignored but holding people's attention and getting them to part with their hard earned is going to be increasingly difficult for all sectors so for me most resources should be put into improving the product on the pitch and like it or not that is only going to come about through attracting better players and coaches.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Well we have a figure of 12 million and a quote from Mr Rothwell saying all his investment money has been spent, if there's a different way of interpreting that then I'm all ears.

Out of interest, how are you interpreting it? 

27 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I don't think many supporters aren't prepared to be patient.

Assuming you can see everything going in the right direction, which I'm sure will be the case.

You've said "a year" and "12 months" now though. Very specific. Some would describe that as you being impatient.

Where's the line and who gets to draw it? 😀

Back to the original post though - there've been many who've literally said they'd be "happy" with a season of consolidation.

Some though have even said they don't want promotion "too soon". DON'T. WANT. PROMOTION. 🙅‍♂️ 

Now I'm on here scrolling and contributing every day I fairly regularly scroll but don't contribute on twitter on #oafc and check Facebook fairly regularly too. I haven't seen anyone on those platforms say they don't want promotion perhaps I'm not looking hard enough I don't know.

I don't expect it but I will bite your hand off for promotion if it was offered now as we won't get an exact choice of when we go up.

I've seen 3 previous relegations the first season has usually seen us mid table then we get to the summer and their is no plan to take the club forward so we slash the wage bill and then end up fighting relegations from then on in. If we do finish mid table (I think we will finish top half possibly play offs if we evolve/improve the squad enough) What's important is that if we don't go up there is a plan and an intention in place to go up next year.

2 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Out of interest, how are you interpreting it? 

Well I interpret it as there isn't significant if any additional funds to improve the budget and they intend to balance the ins and outs which is fine but it isn't what I want to see and hear given where we find ourselves.

54 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I don't think many supporters aren't prepared to be patient.

Assuming you can see everything going in the right direction, which I'm sure will be the case.

You've said "a year" and "12 months" now though. Very specific. Some would describe that as you being impatient.

Where's the line and who gets to draw it? 😀

Back to the original post though - there've been many who've literally said they'd be "happy" with a season of consolidation.

Some though have even said they don't want promotion "too soon". DON'T. WANT. PROMOTION. 🙅‍♂️ 

......I also said "& if necessary the season after"..... I've no idea how long it will take..... it took Luton 5 years..... I hope it doesn't take that long.... but as you say, so long as we can see things "going in the right direction", then whatever will be will be.....

19 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Well I interpret it as there isn't significant if any additional funds to improve the budget and they intend to balance the ins and outs which is fine but it isn't what I want to see and hear given where we find ourselves.

I'd be surprised if we're already at the stage where we can balance the ins and outs without further owner input.

2 hours ago, BPAS said:

Significantly improving Boundary Park for supporters, a decent Junior Latics facility, top floor of the JR stand finished, rail seating in parts of the ground. Not simple/quick/easy/basic, will require completion of BP & land sale to go through ~& court case formally dropped (it's still not) and require some capital.

Who has the power to formally drop the court case now the Lemmies have left town?

38 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Hoping @BPAS can help me out as I can’t find it… 

But on one of the Podcasts there was a clip talking to Luke Rothwell, as part of Fanzone (I think)  

Mentioned “exciting things” they will announce when they can.   

I came away from listening feeling really positive given the way Luke spoke, clearly there is more investment coming 

25 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I'd be surprised if we're already at the stage where we can balance the ins and outs without further owner input.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility.

Nobody, fan or new board, expected nearly 9k on Saturdays and nearly 7k for night matches.

That's a hell of a lot of extra revenue. 

They now might be in a quandary as to whether to make moves to maintain that revenue or stick to an original plan based on way less......

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:
2 hours ago, philwhite said:

It's widely known that it was Barry Owen who forced the Sheridan return. He was phoning fans the evening of the Harrogate game to say it was all done and dusted, hours before the official statement from the football club...

I’ll be honest it’s the first I’ve heard of it. Surprised with the amount of people that dislike Barry Owen he knew people who to phone that would listen to him and talk to him.

15 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

It's not beyond the realms of possibility.

Nobody, fan or new board, expected nearly 9k on Saturdays and nearly 7k for night matches.

That's a hell of a lot of extra revenue. 

They now might be in a quandary as to whether to make moves to maintain that revenue or stick to an original plan based on way less......

It's possible. I assume that BP is a bit of a money pit though, so even with debts cleared it probably has a lot of maintenance costs either planned or not.

It is also very possible that the additional revenue might mean they're willing to add more to the transfer budget, who knows.  

4 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

McGahey signed on a revised contract for one year, as per the EFL embargo. He is now here for a second year. It was widely reported that Sheridan would not stand for any interference, so who offered McGahey a second year...?

I would assume to get round the issues that arose last year, he was offered a guaranteed extension this season. 

2 minutes ago, latics22 said:

I would assume to get round the issues that arose last year, he was offered a guaranteed extension this season. 

They wouldn't have been able to put that into a contract would they? It had to be ratified by the EFL and one of the terms was it had to be a one year deal so I'm not sure a guaranteed second year would have gone down well...

3 hours ago, HarryBosch said:

😄 I'm definitely on the side of consolidating this season as a minimum before expecting a proper go at it next season (realistically I don't think anything else is likely), but anyone saying that they don't want promotion too soon is talking nonsense.

So much of this thread completely misses the point. 

Consolidation and rebirth of the club has nothing to do with player fitness and desire. It has nothing to do with team selection, tactics, and a real lack of doing the basics well in games. It has nothing to do with players turning up for 10/15 spells in games, and otherwise being abject. 

We are underperforming on the pitch, and shez has has had half the squad for 9 months and the new signings several weeks. His ability to do his job, has got nothing to potholes, the fans bar, the ladies toilets or repairing seats. And to be fair to Shez, he has repeatedly said similar- his job is to win football matches. 

We can’t turn a blind eye to performance’s just because he’s a legend or make excuses for him based on nothing about his ability to do the job. 

3 hours ago, League one forever said:

Consolidation and rebirth of the club has nothing to do with player fitness and desire. It has nothing to do with team selection, tactics, and a real lack of doing the basics well in games. It has nothing to do with players turning up for 10/15 spells in games, and otherwise being abject. 

We are underperforming on the pitch, and shez has has had half the squad for 9 months and the new signings several weeks. His ability to do his job, has got nothing to potholes, the fans bar, the ladies toilets or repairing seats. And to be fair to Shez, he has repeatedly said similar- his job is to win football matches. 

We can’t turn a blind eye to performance’s just because he’s a legend or make excuses for him based on nothing about his ability to do the job. 

I'm not sure whether we are underperforming on the pitch or whether we are underperforming against what we hoped for on the pitch. 

3 hours ago, League one forever said:

I'm not sure whether we are underperforming on the pitch or whether we are underperforming against what we hoped for on the pitch. 

Archived