Live Streaming Of Games

1 hour ago, RobinsDuckEgg said:

As I posted on another thread: what is also baffling to me is that the replay of the entire Torquay match is available on the official, but only highlights of other matches.

It's possible (likely, even) that Torquay themselves produce full-game highlights and allowed Latics to use them too, whilst for other games the team responsible is only producing the shorter package. 

2 hours ago, Ackey said:

It's possible (likely, even) that Torquay themselves produce full-game highlights and allowed Latics to use them too, whilst for other games the team responsible is only producing the shorter package. 

Yes. I've written to the  club about it. Can't see any reason why Latics  don't produce replays of our home games though.

2 hours ago, RobinsDuckEgg said:

Yes. I've written to the  club about it. Can't see any reason why Latics  don't produce replays of our home games though.

Well the camera quality has fallen off a cliff since we got relegated. Camera is no longer steady or in 1080p. I presume this is because we now have to produce our own highlights, rather than having an EFL funded cameraman rock up. Cameras are not cheap. 

17 hours ago, RobinsDuckEgg said:

I would expect the cost of that just isn't a priority right now, as below it's a very expensive thing to do well. 

15 hours ago, GKing521 said:

Well the camera quality has fallen off a cliff since we got relegated. Camera is no longer steady or in 1080p. I presume this is because we now have to produce our own highlights, rather than having an EFL funded cameraman rock up. Cameras are not cheap. 

Worse than the definition is the frame rate. It's impossible to watch. That could just be a setting on the camera they're using, as even budget cameras have the options to up the frame rate even if you have to drop the definition. But again, when done on budget you get what you get.

I think clubs are genuinely losing out here by not being able to offer live streams to fans who live inside and outside of the UK, there's always an argument that the ability to live stream all our games would reduce attendances but I don't see it that way I think they'll be fans who live outside the borough who will pay to stream all the matches, they'll be season ticket holders who might only go a handful for aways and want to stream the rest and they'll be fans who only do aways and stream the home games they'll obviously be the dodgy stick lads who'll get it for nowt but the majority of fans would have no problem paying £10 a game or a monthly subscription and still attend games IMHO, Football needs to change with the times..

There seems to be an argument currently that this will not benefit smaller clubs as it will stop people going to games. 

Living overseas it makes no difference to me, they can get a tenner a game from me for streaming or nothing as I'm not going to be able to attend. 

I do understand the argument that people will stay away though. Our crowds can drop by a few hundred when United or City are on TV at the same time which is obviously a decent chunk of money. I think at our level though you are either going to the game or you aren't. I think this would catch a few extra people who aren't going rather than force people to sit at home instead of going. 

I think if all revenue is split 50/50 it would work well for smaller clubs with bigger fanbases chucking them extra money. 

You can see why Ryan Reynolds is after this, the new documentary is going to create thousands of American fans and he needs to capitalise on that before they watch the next documentary and start supporting them. 

1 hour ago, wroteforluck87 said:

I think clubs are genuinely losing out here by not being able to offer live streams to fans who live inside and outside of the UK, there's always an argument that the ability to live stream all our games would reduce attendances but I don't see it that way I think they'll be fans who live outside the borough who will pay to stream all the matches, they'll be season ticket holders who might only go a handful for aways and want to stream the rest and they'll be fans who only do aways and stream the home games they'll obviously be the dodgy stick lads who'll get it for nowt but the majority of fans would have no problem paying £10 a game or a monthly subscription and still attend games IMHO, Football needs to change with the times..

I think a lot of people who aren't going to the game on a Tuesday night will watch whatever game is on TV regardless of who is playing.

If you give them the opportunity to watch their own team the majority will take it instead of watching Wolfsburg vs Arsenal as a neutral. As you said, this is extra revenue. Not people staying away from the game. 

1 minute ago, Roger Ritchie said:

I think a lot of people who aren't going to the game on a Tuesday night will watch whatever game is on TV regardless of who is playing.

If you give them the opportunity to watch their own team the majority will take it instead of watching Wolfsburg vs Arsenal as a neutral. As you said, this is extra revenue. Not people staying away from the game. 

But will a livestream be decent quality?  I've watched a bit of the Lancs cricket stream on YouTube and it's just not up to scratch

Just now, Dave_Og said:

But will a livestream be decent quality?  I've watched a bit of the Lancs cricket stream on YouTube and it's just not up to scratch

Obviously it isn't Sky Sports quality and in most cases there is only one (sometimes two) cameras, but I honestly don't think any of the quality is that bad. You can see it from the highlight clips that the club put out, that's the footage.

It is being able to watch your club live at 9am on a Saturday from 4,000 miles away that you're paying for. 

13 hours ago, Ackey said:

I would expect the cost of that just isn't a priority right now, as below it's a very expensive thing to do well. 

Worse than the definition is the frame rate. It's impossible to watch. That could just be a setting on the camera they're using, as even budget cameras have the options to up the frame rate even if you have to drop the definition. But again, when done on budget you get what you get.

An iPhone would do a better job than whatever we have at the moment. I'm being serious. Could genuinely be something for them to look into if we can't afford a better camera. 

10 hours ago, GKing521 said:

An iPhone would do a better job than whatever we have at the moment. I'm being serious. Could genuinely be something for them to look into if we can't afford a better camera. 

Yes and No... iPhones are fine for things inside a few meters. But trying to use one to record half a field away and you will really struggle. You couldn't remotely zoom in on the action from a corner, for example, without it becoming incredibly pixelated.  

On 9/1/2022 at 7:50 AM, Ackey said:

Yes and No... iPhones are fine for things inside a few meters. But trying to use one to record half a field away and you will really struggle. You couldn't remotely zoom in on the action from a corner, for example, without it becoming incredibly pixelated.  

Interesting! I know it's been possible to fiddle with FPS on iPhone these days but like you say, zooming in wouldn't work. 

I don't think we have the resources to be one of the teams that are able to run their own stream. We could barely put out team news on time during pre-season. 

On 8/31/2022 at 11:49 PM, Roger Ritchie said:

Obviously it isn't Sky Sports quality and in most cases there is only one (sometimes two) cameras, but I honestly don't think any of the quality is that bad. You can see it from the highlight clips that the club put out, that's the footage.

It is being able to watch your club live at 9am on a Saturday from 4,000 miles away that you're paying for. 

Or in my case, 12/1 am, 11,000 miles away.

Further for those in Nuzulland.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Streaming areed from the second half of the season according to today's non league paper

Similar restrictions to those we had on EFL Ifollow.

Can you post a link? I could only find:

https://www.betting.co.uk/nonleaguedaily/opinion-reynolds-is-right-its-about-time-the-national-league-said-yes-to-match-streams/

which while the author is in favour gives the impression that it's only Wrexham that are pushing for it.

Archived