National League Thread

3 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Derbyshire Times Gateshead

This article ahead of last nights game gives us some answers and yes the goalkeeper (I don't know if it's the same one) is one of those going to the EFL.

Have been following them with some interest as I used to watch their new manager when he was goalkeeper for Bishop's Stortford.  

When we went down from league two- 

I read so many teams say - the conference is a really hard league. 

But is it? 

DU- who is quite possibly the worst manager we ever had- managed to grind results last season. We were bottom four at Christmas and finished top half because we won a few games. 

This season we started with 1 win 10 and sit in the playoffs by early Jan. Our results are good but our actual playing style is still patchy- yet still good enough to win. 

After 18 months - I’d say this league on the whole is utter dogshit. Yes they’re one or two teams who are very good, but really we should be beating the other 20 or so sides. It’s easy to see why Wrexham/Notts and Chesterfield get record points hauls. Decent budget, good players, good manager and you should romp it. 

Edited by League one forever
  • Like 2

Think the "Hard league to get out of " line is more a reference to the one auto promotion place and one up through the lottery of the play offs . Yes there are a lot of "dog shit " teams in this league only takes one of them to get lucky in the playoffs and your seasons gone .

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, League one forever said:

But is it? 

DU- who is quite possibly the worst manager we ever had- managed to grind results last season. We were bottom four at Christmas and finished top half because we won a few games. 

This season we started with 1 win 10 and sit in the playoffs by early Jan. Our results are good but our actual playing style is still patchy- yet still good enough to win. 

After 18 months - I’d say this league on the whole is utter dogshit. Yes they’re one or two teams who are very good, but really we should be beating the other 20 or so sides. It’s easy to see why Wrexham/Notts and Chesterfield get record points hauls. Decent budget, good players, good manager and you should romp it. 

I said this as soon as we came down as I'd watched a fair few NL games since 2019. It's a crap league and there's a huge gulf between this division and L2...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, peanuts2 said:

Think the "Hard league to get out of " line is more a reference to the one auto promotion place and one up through the lottery of the play offs . Yes there are a lot of "dog shit " teams in this league only takes one of them to get lucky in the playoffs and your seasons gone .

Yeah, good example is Notts County last season- absolutely head and shoulders above the other teams, but finished second- one slip and they’re done. 

I’ll rephrase - it’s hard to get out of. 

But it’s not hard to win games. 

8 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Yeah, good example is Notts County last season- absolutely head and shoulders above the other teams, but finished second- one slip and they’re done. 

I’ll rephrase - it’s hard to get out of. 

But it’s not hard to win games. 

Really. So why have we been so poor?I think M.M could answer that one cause D.U couldn't. 

If we went up, we'd survive in League Two.  We've got a much better team even now than the one that came down.

The line that "we're not ready to go up/would be good to get into the play-offs just for the experience" is the biggest load of nonsense I've heard with regards to Latics for ages - and it's a competitive field!

• Like 3

Just now, JoeP said:

If we went up, we'd survive in League Two.  We've got a much better team even now than the one that came down.

The line that "we're not ready to go up/would be good to get into the play-offs just for the experience" is the biggest load of nonsense I've heard with regards to Latics for ages - and it's a competitive field!

Agreed, seen loads of people say we’re not ready to go up, which I find completely bizarre tbh with you. We have a good manager, we have a fair few out of contract players and so presumably room for signings, and we have players under contract who would do a job at league 2 level. We of course have some problems with surplus players on good money, but thats not enough of an issue to say we wouldn’t compete in league 2. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JoeP said:

It’s bizarre isn’t it? Saw a poll on Twitter asking if you’d rather go up via playoffs this season or as runaway champions next season. Think about 15% went for 2nd option. 

15% would rather get promoted next season than this season?!?!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I said this as soon as we came down as I'd watched a fair few NL games since 2019. It's a crap league and there's a huge gulf between this division and L2...

53 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

But there clearly isn't...

There is not a huge gulf between teams like Stockport, Notts County, Wrexham and L2 though…

19 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

It’s bizarre isn’t it? Saw a poll on Twitter asking if you’d rather go up via playoffs this season or as runaway champions next season. Think about 15% went for 2nd option. 

Saw that, and couldn’t believe it was even a question. 

Get. Us. Out. Of. This. League. ASAP. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Don't get it.

If we lose in the play-offs and we're looking for a glass-half-full angle, we can then use the "good experience" line, but to say it before we've even qualified for the play-offs is just odd.  It's like we're preparing to lose.  We get in the play-offs, we should try and win by hook or by crook.

If we're aiming to win a league next season, it should be League Two..

Edited by JoeP

6 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Which is what many including supporters of other teams in this league said at the time.

Apologies - I think there’s semantics here. As I went onto say. 

Hard to get out of - yes. 

Hard to win a lot of games- no. 

For example - I can understand an ex league club finishing top 6 every season quite easily - but still struggling to go up. Whereas if you finish in the playoffs in the EFL it’s been a cracking season. 

Week by week - It’s much harder and competitive in league two than it is in this league. 

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Apologies - I think there’s semantics here. As I went onto say. 

Hard to get out of - yes. 

Hard to win a lot of games- no. 

For example - I can understand an ex league club finishing top 6 every season quite easily - but still struggling to go up. Whereas if you finish in the playoffs in the EFL it’s been a cracking season. 

Week by week - It’s much harder and competitive in league two than it is in this league. 

Like Luton. 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 7th and 1st. We should be doing well every season we’re down here but it’s fair to acknowledge that it’s hard to get out of. 

Unlike league 2 with 4 going up. 7PM by the end of next season please!…

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Like Luton. 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 7th and 1st. We should be doing well every season we’re down here but it’s fair to acknowledge that it’s hard to get out of. 

Unlike league 2 with 4 going up. 7PM by the end of next season please!…

Spot on NZ 

And weirdly in league two the complete opposite of this league- easier to go up - harder to win week to week. 

Morning, first time posting in about 15 years on here but I don’t understand we aren’t ready for league two line. All funding gets cut next season, parachute payment, academy and the community trust. 

if we did go up we would get an increase in funding through parachute payments, bigger attendances and more cup competitions.

players are out of contract, some will be moved on and better ones will come in. The likes of Barrow, Sutton, Harrogate and Grimsby have all been able to compete in league two. 

Tranmere and Bristol rovers both went up again. 

we would be more than fine. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BradKnowles1 said:

Morning, first time posting in about 15 years on here but I don’t understand we aren’t ready for league two line. All funding gets cut next season, parachute payment, academy and the community trust. 

if we did go up we would get an increase in funding through parachute payments, bigger attendances and more cup competitions.

players are out of contract, some will be moved on and better ones will come in. The likes of Barrow, Sutton, Harrogate and Grimsby have all been able to compete in league two. 

Welcome back Brad.

14 hours ago, League one forever said:

But is it? 

This league Decent budget, good players, good manager and you should romp it. 

concise version for those who poo really fast

2 hours ago, BradKnowles1 said:

l mean the team. that team in league two will be average like it is here.

l cba with any longer than one season in L2 fuck that.

donner kebab trophy this season

league next

L2 after

cya later aligator

12 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

l mean the team. that team in league two will be average like it is here.

l cba with any longer than one season in L2 :censored: that.

donner kebab trophy this season

league next

L2 after

cya later aligator

Wembley twice this year. Already planned. Play off final with the lads, Fa trophy family can come.  We win it all 

• Like 1