Unsworth

11 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

In a typically bizarre stance from me, that could be the tipping point for me with Unsworth. I've never read such bullshit in my life - and believe me, I've read plenty of bullshit...

Yeah, I was trying to be diplomatic. But I don’t believe a word of it. 

He left the ground quickly, so what’s he said to the players either before the game or at half time. . . ? 

Right lads, I’m getting off after the game, so I’ve arranged for John to do the press- I’ll see you all in the week and we’ll talk about whatever happens in the game then. 

He really does think this fanbase is buttoned up backwards doesn't he, he'd probably get more respect and credit if he was brutally honest Marc White style, problem I have with it is he's paid to deal with that shit whereas I pay for the 'privilege' of watching it so if I storm out at full time calling everyone a cunt on the way out then it is to a degree understandable, he on the other hand should front up and deal with the consequences because it's his gig, not Ebbrells not Jeffers it's Unsworth's and yet again it looks like he feels he's above some aspects of the job and shows - in my opinion a lack of respect for the club and the fans, it really is time to go for him because that aspect of the man and his lack of self awareness will never change.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I get why people are so angry, I really do. But whatever Unsworth was going to say about this incident was going to result in the same response from the same people.

"Apologies - I know it must've looked bad.  I did tell John Ebbrell to pass on my apologies to the press conference, but I had a long-standing prior engagement that I really couldn't get out of."

Would've sufficed and I'd have thought no more about it...

8 minutes ago, JoeP said:

"Apologies - I know it must've looked bad.  I did tell John Ebbrell to pass on my apologies to the press conference, but I had a long-standing prior engagement that I really couldn't get out of."

Would've sufficed and I'd have thought no more about it...

Would have had the same people calling bullshit.

28 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Would have had the same people calling bullshit.

Because it is bullshit, from top to bottom the appointment is turning in to a disaster.

Are you really suggesting he shouldn't face the music because he may face accusation of being a bullshitter whatever he says? He's been talking shite from minute one it's in his DNA so what's new? He still has a responsibility, it's part of his job and a minimum requirement really, do you think it's coincidence that he came across as though he couldn't be arsed during the game on both occasions when Ebbrell faced the music after it, it's unacceptable as it would be for any player in the squad to behave that way, he sets a bad example it's as simple as that for me.

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

I get why people are so angry, I really do. But whatever Unsworth was going to say about this incident was going to result in the same response from the same people.

Very contradictory. 

You claim to understand why people are angry, (which implies you get it looks bad) then make generalisations about the same people you’re talking about. (Which implies he can’t win with some people) 

Either he’s made of mess of the press situation. 

Or the fans are looking into things too much? 

Which one is it? 

• Like 1

His appointment is fast turning into an unmitigated disaster & surpassing, as an absolute failure, any previous appointment over the last 20 years.

I’m more focused on results but I have to admit that I’ve struggled to warm to him since day one.  Every interview comes across as disingenuous and whilst he professed to have fallen in love with our club, he’s in it for one person and one person only.

Said it loads of times that I had no affinity to Oldham before coming a supporter.  Started 35 years ago following a bet and over that period, I’ve never once regretted the decision.  I can see why other people with no association also end up supporting the club for decades.  It’s a friendly, welcoming, family club and one that’s battled the big clubs at the highest level with a solid legacy.

Thats why Shez endeared himself to our club, Peter Clarke too, add Conor Ripley and hundreds of players over the years including the 90s pinch me side that all genuinely love our club.

Why am I saying all this?  It’s because Frank & Darren between them have saved our club and rebuilding off the pitch… Unsworth is dismantling it on the pitch.

This bloke has come in, reputedly on big wages with him and his coaching team, had a fortune thrown at him to strengthen and delivered fuck all so far.  Shez delivered more without the strengthening and whilst under the turmoil of the last dregs of the Lemsagam era.  Not only has he delivered zilch, he’s took the team backwards, alienated himself with the fan base and I personally cannot see any advantages of retaining his services.  Even his track record as U23 manager is questioned by those at Everton and this appointment is becoming more evident as ‘jobs for the boys’ as he’s pally with Big Joe.

Time for Darren to accept an error has been made. If it’s true that there’s a clause that releases them for less money then exercise it asap.  Every day I think what we would have achieved had the owners brought in Alexander, Askey or thrown the money for Wild’s homecoming. 

There’s still ample time to climb this table and finish on a high with encouraging signs to maintain ST sales into next season.  We have decent strikers and need to reverse the Chapman loan and bring in a decent DM, creative midfielder, RW and rejuvenate our season.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Very contradictory. 

You claim to understand why people are angry, (which implies you get it looks bad) then make generalisations about the same people you’re talking about. (Which implies he can’t win with some people) 

Either he’s made of mess of the press situation. 

Or the fans are looking into things too much? 

Which one is it? 

I meant angry in general about league positions/results. 

Feel free to call that explanation bullshit too if you want. 

13 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

We are definitely into 'can't do right for doing wrong' terriority. Owner must be shaking his head wondering what he's got himself into...

Hmmm, I'm not so sure in this instance. He is clearly full of shit here. You can tell that just from Ebbrell's response when asked where the manager was on Saturday. And, if that was Ebbrell prepared for a media interview, I'd hate to hear him if he was just thrown in at the deep end...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

I meant angry in general about league positions/results. 

Feel free to call that explanation bullshit too if you want. 

Do you think it’s bullshit about the press specifically? 

The reason I ask, is because these relatively small things matter. Yes results are the ultimate currency. But he’s made so many little own goals with the fans, that when results are bad he has no rapport with us to fall back on for backing. The club and fans are connected again. But he seems outlier to me. 

18 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

We are definitely into 'can't do right for doing wrong' terriority. Owner must be shaking his head wondering what he's got himself into...

Why?  Football fans demand results whichever the club.  Here, Frank has inherited a strong fanbase at this level and one that will grow.  He knows it and I doubt he regrets taking it on.

Besides, the large majority of fans don’t have issue with the Rothwells or the Royles.  Frank has been guided by the Royles on DUs appointment and the Royles have been clouded by employing someone they know.

Ignore the idiots demanding Darren leave over this.  If anyone questions what Darren has done to safeguard the future of our club needs to give their head a wobble.

It’s a monumental mistake, one that’s happened at many a club and one that can be easily remedied.  I just hope DR isn’t gambling his position and future at this club over loyalty to DU.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Hmmm, I'm not so sure in this instance. He is clearly full of shit here. You can tell that just from Ebbrell's response when asked where the manager was on Saturday. And, if that was Ebbrell prepared for a media interview, I'd hate to hear him if he was just thrown in at the deep end...

He probably can't believe such a non issue has become an issue and feels obliged to spin a yarn about it...

3 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Do you think it’s bullshit about the press specifically? 

The reason I ask, is because these relatively small things matter. Yes results are the ultimate currency. But he’s made so many little own goals with the fans, that when results are bad he has no rapport with us to fall back on for backing. The club and fans are connected again. But he seems outlier to me. 

I don’t know and I don’t care. 

If he was saying what you wanted him to but results and performances were the same you wouldn’t be changing your mind about whether he should be kept or not.