Unsworth

43 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Totally and i'm not one for looking back but the comparison made my blood boil. I never ever saw a Joe Royle side set up not to lose and it another reason why I can't comprehend how Joe can sit there and watch this unless he's protecting his son of course.

Whereas I saw your mate clapping like a demented seal from the Chairman's seat as we played a back 6 to scrape a 0-0 draw against Exeter in League 2. He was very happy to see Oldham set up not to lose. He was on the board too, so actually had "power" to change it. I wonder what your opinion was then? How could you stomach watching an Oldham side set up not to lose against that massive footballing powerhouse Exeter. Or were you fine with it because your mate was on the board?

There's probably quite a bit of footage showing you clapping an Oldham team off after we've been battered. Especially when we were set up not to lose when your mate was on the board.

You are being as disingenuous as DU is at his peak.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Whereas I saw your mate clapping like a demented seal from the Chairman's seat as we played a back 6 to scrape a 0-0 draw against Exeter in League 2. He was very happy to see Oldham set up not to lose. He was on the board too, so actually had "power" to change it. I wonder what your opinion was then? How could you stomach watching an Oldham side set up not to lose against that massive footballing powerhouse Exeter. Or were you fine with it because your mate was on the board?

There's probably quite a bit of footage showing you clapping an Oldham team off after we've been battered. Especially when we were set up not to lose when your mate was on the board.

You are being as disingenuous as DU is at his peak.

What we would give for a 0-0 with Exeter now eh? I'm pretty certain that side would walk the floor with the team we currently put out on a weekly basis. Shame the 4000 who have turned up since the takeover didn't turn up when Corney sold the club, but that's another story

4 minutes ago, PeteG said:

What we would give for a 0-0 with Exeter now eh? I'm pretty certain that side would walk the floor with the team we currently put out on a weekly basis. Shame the 4000 who have turned up since the takeover didn't turn up when Corney sold the club, but that's another story

Think they were all banned by you idiot mate

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Missed my point. So I shall make it again. The points after 3 games does NOT matter. The points after 46 games does 

In 15 years time or even 15 days time is anyone going to remember that Wrexham had 4 points after 3 games last season. But I bet loads will be able to recall that Wrexham won the National League last season.

FWIW Stockport hadn't just come up from the NLN either. They didn't have back to back promotions. (Took them 3 years).

If we had spluttered into our first top half finish for ages then yes I might say Unsworth should be at risk. We didn't, we had a playoff level record after Christmas last season. We were 2nd bottom in December last season. Our game against Torquay was televised because it looked like a relegation 6-pointer in December.

David Unsworth has shown he can turn a season around, he did it last season. That gives him some leeway to show he can do it again, but as the season is only 3 games old it isn't in need of turning around just yet. I fully expect us to come strong as the season goes on, our squad is very strong. If Southend had 3 injuries then I wouldn't be surprised to read that Kevin Maher is putting his boots on. Doubly so if all 3 injuries are in midfield.

We may not get automatic promotion but there is a reason why the bookies still have us as 4/6 (best odds - 2nd favourites) for a playoff spot. A playoff spot is pushing for promotion. 

If we are struggling by the end of October then I wouldn't be surprised to find DU gone or on the verge of going. This is mid-August plenty of time and 43 games left.

I know how long a season is, cheers.  I also know nothing is won or lost 3 games in.  

The fact is, if we lose on Saturday, we'll be 9 points behind Chesterfield.  Is the season over for us?  No.  Do I have faith that Unsworth is the man to make up the deficit over the season?  Also no - as I've said previously, I don't think the post-January run is as comprehensive as some are making out.

Leave it for too long in the hope that - against the evidence - Unsworth knows what he's doing and we'll be too far behind to catch-up and the opportunity to go up this year will be missed.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, OAFC_ULTRA said:

Think they were all banned by you idiot mate

If you are referring to Brad and his mates and Barry as my mate, i'm more than happy to remind you that Barry had left the club at that point, it was down to the CEO and whoever else was in charge at the time, nothing at all with Barry and i'm sure Brad will happily confirm that.

3 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Last season Wrexham got a record points total across all top 5 English divisions.

They had 4, yes 4 points after 3 games.

Notts County who got the 2nd best points total ever had 5.

The season before Stockport also had 4 points after 3 games.

The last time we made the playoffs we had 3 points after 3 games and only 4 after 6 games. (Think that was covered on the podcast recently).

The points after X games* doesn't matter, the points after 46 games does.

*Unless the season is curtailed thanks to another pandemic.

I'm indifferent to sacking managers in the main as we won't progress if we do. Unsworth had turned me indifferent by the home defeat to Halifax last season. That I hope was our rock bottom point. If this season it looks like not being our rock bottom point he can go, that isn't the case currently.

Do you really think that any football club doesn't have points targets and goals to achieve at various points throughout the season?

Of course it matters how many points we have after a stated number of games.

If your 15 points off the pace 15 games into.a season your highly unlikely to make up.the lost ground without a major change in something. 

14 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

Do you really think that any football club doesn't have points targets and goals to achieve at various points throughout the season?

If your 15 points off the pace 15 games into.a season your highly unlikely to make up.the lost ground without a major change in something. 

Exactly, we get too far adrift, we will have to play like champions to make the play-offs. I don't know the answer to this but how many points did Shez have after how many games when he was sacked? Don't come at me with this mutual decision bollocks, i spoke to Shez and Tommy, they were both sacked, in fact Tommy wasn't even told even after they announced Unsworth and Ebrell, so still turned up. This is obviously the benchmark for the board and CEO. 

I read these forums and twitter and really have to laugh at the majority of the fans on these things. The mindset of these people is ridiculous, you all seem to think that because we’ve spent a few quid we have a god given right to win every game. 

I’ve followed Oldham home and away for years and seen some abysmal performances. But this year is the first for many that I feel the time is right to have some optimism, so we’ve been beaten in 2 of the 3 games we’ve played! Big deal. Get over it, it’s not relegation, it’s 3 games of a new team trying to gel, some of the team weren’t even here for pre season! 

I’ve bought a season ticket this year for the first time in over 10 years, and I’m not losing my shit and won’t do either as I have faith in the team this year that good things will come. 

I’m sure most of the moaners on here wouldn’t have been happy if the table read at the end of the season as follows. 

P    W   D  L  F       A   PTS

46   46  0  0 230.   0   138

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Lees Latics said:

I read these forums and twitter and really have to laugh at the majority of the fans on these things. The mindset of these people is ridiculous, you all seem to think that because we’ve spent a few quid we have a god given right to win every game. 

I’ve followed Oldham home and away for years and seen some abysmal performances. But this year is the first for many that I feel the time is right to have some optimism, so we’ve been beaten in 2 of the 3 games we’ve played! Big deal. Get over it, it’s not relegation, it’s 3 games of a new team trying to gel, some of the team weren’t even here for pre season! 

I’ve bought a season ticket this year for the first time in over 10 years, and I’m not losing my shit and won’t do either as I have faith in the team this year that good things will come. 

I’m sure most of the moaners on here wouldn’t have been happy if the table read at the end of the season as follows. 

P    W   D  L  F       A   PTS

46   46  0  0 230.   0   138

So you've not really kept the faith have you since it's your first season ticket in 10 years but now you are lecturing people on expecting more? This league is shite and we know promotion isn't won in 3 games, our worry is based on nearly 12 months with Unsworth in charge and the fact he thought we had 6 good chances to Southend's 3 and we had enough chances to win 2 games on Tuesday night.

2 hours ago, deyres42 said:

And gifted us Liam Hogan and Nathan Sheron, what a hero.

How come you defend Unsworth to the hilt, saying he’s not had enough time to build a team despite heavy backing, because of the mess he inherited, yet slaughter Shez at every opportunity, who had no backing and took over an even bigger mess?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

How come you defend Unsworth to the hilt, saying he’s not had enough time to build a team despite heavy backing, because of the mess he inherited, yet slaughter Shez at every opportunity, who had no backing and took over an even bigger mess?

The worst bit about it, is Unsworth has kept Hogan as captain who Shez "gifted him" and plays Sheron every week who Shez also "gifted him" whilst working with one hand tied behind his back

55 minutes ago, Londonboy said:

If we are 15 points from the playoffs after 15 games, Unsworth will be gone. We would have hit a deeper bottom than the aforementioned Halifax home game last season.

We are 3 points adrift after 3 games. We won't be 15 points adrift after 15 games.

Chill TF out.

30 minutes ago, PeteG said:

So you've not really kept the faith have you since it's your first season ticket in 10 years but now you are lecturing people on expecting more? This league is shite and we know promotion isn't won in 3 games, our worry is based on nearly 12 months with Unsworth in charge and the fact he thought we had 6 good chances to Southend's 3 and we had enough chances to win 2 games on Tuesday night.

Just because I haven’t bought a season ticket doesn’t mean I haven’t been to the games, maybe my family circumstances changed and my kids came along that stopped me going? Maybe I’m not looking to cause trouble in an empty house like you seem to want to do to! 

You’re a typical keyboard warrior! 

19 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

If we are 15 points from the playoffs after 15 games, Unsworth will be gone. We would have hit a deeper bottom than the aforementioned Halifax home game last season.

We are 3 points adrift after 3 games. We won't be 15 points adrift after 15 games.

Chill TF out.

How about if he’s 15th points off the top? We should be aiming for 1st place, not 7th

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

Goes against the grain, it's what he do...

11 minutes ago, Lees Latics said:

Just because I haven’t bought a season ticket doesn’t mean I haven’t been to the games, maybe my family circumstances changed and my kids came along that stopped me going? Maybe I’m not looking to cause trouble in an empty house like you seem to want to do to! 

You’re a typical keyboard warrior! 

Rule number one on owtb. 

Try not to take things personally, none of us know each other and 99% of time we’re all talking absolute bollocks. 😁

• Like 3

3 hours ago, PeteG said:

I'm sure they wouldn't. 

Team that day:

Woods; Hamer, Wheater, Iacovitti, Smith-Brown; Sylla, Nepomuceno, Branger, Fage, Eagles; Desire Segbe Azankpo

Subs: Mills (for Nepomuceno), Scott Wilson (for Eagles), Sonhy Sefil (for Branger).

Sohny Sefil is the worst player I've seen play for Oldham. 

Hamer gets in this current side comfortably, Wheater might if he hadn't retired, but as he played last at Conference North Darlington, he might not. Iacovitti is apparently playing at Port Vale but I'd be interested to know if people think he gets in this current side. Woods is Exeter's #2, but as he wasn't always our #1 he might not get in.

Given that of the 9 players "still" playing in England (including the aforementioned Wheater), only Hamer and Iacovitti are regularly playing higher than us. Wheater, Smith-Brown, Fage, Wilson and Mills all last played at a team at best in the league below. Sylla threw his dummy out at Hartlepool and has been dropped from their squad but is still under contract.

I can't see many people who'd have Branger ahead of our current wide options. Nepomuceno might invoke a discussion, as he was clearly the best of the #FrenchLads, but last played in England at Halifax. Eagles is long since retired and Desire Segbe Azankpo would probably be our 8th choice Centre-Forward. Some would have the kid on loan at Colne, Forshaw, ahead of him.

18 minutes ago, Steve_R said:

How about if he’s 15th points off the top? We should be aiming for 1st place, not 7th

Of course we should, as a guide 15 points off the top last season was 3 points off the playoffs. Anyone who says that isn't in promotion contention with 2/3 of the season left to play is deluding themselves.