MATCH: Wealdstone (A) 28/03/23

I was at the game last night, the viewing from behind the goal wasn't great, too low so didn't get as good a perspective as other games I've been to this season 

I thought we were generally the better side apart from that 10-15 minute spell at the start of the second half. They made a substitution at half time but I didn't spot any change of formation although difficult to tell from where I was sat. Maybe it was just their increased intensity and tempo that caught us out and led to the two goals. They did seem to be targeting our left which led to our substitutions and formation change, well done to Unsworth to reacting and changing things up.

Apart from that 15 minute spell I thought we looked so much more solid than the early months of the Unsworth regime. A lot of credit for that has to go to Nate Sheron who works tirelessly to break up opposition attacks and protect the back 4 (or 5), MotM for me last night.

Will Sutton, as has been noted, struggles going forward but is doing a job for the team at RB. What I will say for him is his head doesn't go down and his failings going forward don't seem to affect his resolute defending. It was a strong tackle from Sutton, winning possession, that launched the attack from which Oldham scored their first goal. Also, for balance, it was Sutton who delivered a decent cross for Fondop late in the game.

It was good to see Nuttall on form and he seems to be turning the toide of opinion with our support, a more emphatic penalty would have been welcome for those of a nervous disposition!

We would have lost that game a couple of months ago. Last night we could, possibly should, have won it. Progress. 

• Like 2

Watched it online, and as has been said, it was a strange game. Based on last night and their performance at our place, I think they’re a tidy footballing side, and if the pitch had been better they may have caused us a few more problems than they did.

I’m pleased for Nuttall to grab a couple of goals, and gives him something to build on now.The shape seems better, and we see a lot more of the ball now, instead of being happy to let the opposition have it and try to keep them out.  
I would have hoped for more than three draws from three mid table teams, and we need to make sure the season doesn’t fizzle out and finish as high was we can.

18 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Can I ask what this is based on please...?

Of course. Maybe I should have said three months ago. However, I don't think 2/3 months ago we would have played as well in the first half and been in the lead. I don't think 3 months ago Unsworth would have had the confidence to make the tactical switch in response to the Wealdstone comeback, I actually think we might have got beat by two or three if there hadn't been such a response. And I also think we might have got nervous in the last 10 and let in a late one, even if we'd been level.

I was thinking specifically of the Boreham Wood game (3 months ago) where we levelled, looked like winning it, and lost.

I mostly go to away games because I live in the South East so the gaps between games are bigger for me. The difference between the three games I've seen away this year (Dorking, Barnet and Wealdstone) and some of what I saw last year (Bromley, Maidenhead, Boreham Wood) is stark. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

His 14th goal of the season, playing for two crap sides.

He’s doing alright. 

He did play better, I think his problem isn't ability, but a mindset which often prevents him from being 1st to the ball. If he can win more possession it would benefit him and the team enormously.

12 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

We could still do with one more win to absolutely guarantee safety, but in reality there's more than enough teams between us and the dropzone who can't all go on a winning run.  Added to that Yeovil are on course to score less than a goal a game which doesn't bode well in a relegation battle.

After Wrexham on Saturday our run-in is mostly against mid-table teams.  Can't see us bombing for the rest of the season.

Blackpool...The 1977–78 season, however, proved to be one that the club would prefer to forget. From what seemed like a safe mid-table position in March, Blackpool won only one match and were relegated to Division Three.

27 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

He did play better, I think his problem isn't ability, but a mindset which often prevents him from being 1st to the ball. If he can win more possession it would benefit him and the team enormously.

I just don’t see it BP. He presses the centre backs continuously, he competes for every header winning his fair share. He tracks the full back when required. He’s more often than not the head on the end of defensive corners. I just don’t see the supposedly lack of effort others do. 
Abraham for example, just because he runs quicker and looks like he’s putting more effort in, doesn’t mean he’s actually doing the job most effectively. 
Nuttall is a very well rounded striker at this level, like I have said before. Do we need someone next to him who will score 20+ goals, yeah probably. But Nuttall creates the opportunity for a striker to come in and do that, and chips in with a fair share of goals himself. 

Our fans are just obsessed with players having to run round aimlessly. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

I just don’t see it BP. He presses the centre backs continuously, he competes for every header winning his fair share. He tracks the full back when required. He’s more often than not the head on the end of defensive corners. I just don’t see the supposedly lack of effort others do. 
Abraham for example, just because he runs quicker and looks like he’s putting more effort in, doesn’t mean he’s actually doing the job most effectively. 
Nuttall is a very well rounded striker at this level, like I have said before. Do we need someone next to him who will score 20+ goals, yeah probably. But Nuttall creates the opportunity for a striker to come in and do that, and chips in with a fair share of goals himself. 

Our fans are just obsessed with players having to run round aimlessly

I think this is the key point, really. On Saturday I thought he played reasonably well, occupied their centre halves and played some nice lay offs but unfortunately he doesn't have players good enough around him to take advantage of the space he creates. Was quite surprised to see the stick he was getting on here after the game 

Not every player has to put a Paul Warne-esq shift in. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

As you said last night- 14 goals in two struggling sides isn’t to be sniffed at, and ultimately that’s what he’s in the side for, so fair enough. 

But on his general play- I’m with BP on this. His hold up play is poor, he doesn’t win enough flick on’s, or bring others into play. I don’t think he’s lazy, but he lacks a competitive edge to me- which for a bloke of his size is poor. 

2 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I think this has become a lazy trope that fans wheel out when somebody doesn’t run. As is ‘Oldham fans love a runner’ what that actually means is Oldham fans like commitment- as do every other fan or every other club. 

I don’t have an issue with his running. I have an issue with his competitive edge. Fondop shows him up every time in that regard. 

4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

I think this has become a lazy trope that fans wheel out when somebody doesn’t run. As is ‘Oldham fans love a runner’ what that actually means is Oldham fans like commitment- as do every other fan or every other club. 

I don’t have an issue with his running. I have an issue with his competitive edge. Fondop shows him up every time in that regard. 

That's fair, and I'd agree with that. I do think he suffers from not having a consistent striking partner though, if we could get him and Reid playing together consistently i think we'd start to see the benefit of having him in the side more. But i do agree he needs to improve 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I think this is the key point, really. On Saturday I thought he played reasonably well, occupied their centre halves and played some nice lay offs but unfortunately he doesn't have players good enough around him to take advantage of the space he creates. Was quite surprised to see the stick he was getting on here after the game 

Fondop jumps around and is more demonstrative. You can see that with how he puts himself about, how he runs, gets involved in shoving matches, complains to the ref, even how he celebrates a goal. Completely different to Nuttall who just seems more laid back. 2 goals last night after a long dry spell yet he didn't really celebrate much. Fondop is doing that ronaldo thing and fist pumping the crowd all the time. Just a different character.  So this could be misconstrued as him caring more or putting more effort in than Nuttall.

I think ultimately it's 2 things with Nuttall - he paces himself more over the course of a game so he can be as effective at the start as he is at the end - he was chasing the ball into the corners in injury time last night for example. And he's just a more laid back character in general. This then gives people the perception that someone like Fondop is doing more than him and so a large number criticise him for lack of effort or laziness.

29 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Just look how often he pulls short of competing for a 50/50 ball. As I say I think it's a mindset and if he could be stronger when competing he'd be a real asset.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Just look how often he pulls short of competing for a 50/50 ball. As I say I think it's a mindset and if he could be stronger when competing he'd be a real asset.

100% BP

With his pedigree and attributes he could and should be a monster in this league. . . and we have a laid back mouse. It’s also something Fondop doesn’t struggle with at all, and your spot on- it’s mindset. 

14 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

His 14th goal of the season, playing for two crap sides.

He’s doing alright. 

I'm well aware that a goal is a goal and all that, and Neil Redfearn blah blah, but haven't 10 of them been pens? I'm certain he'll come good for us, but he needs to do more. Much more...

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Fondop is good at battling and wins more flick ons than Nuttall, I agree with that. But he can do that for 20mins and doesn’t press at all. 

6 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I'm well aware that a goal is a goal and all that, and Neil Redfearn blah blah, but haven't 10 of them been pens? I'm certain he'll come good for us, but he needs to do more. Much more...

Yeah fair few have been pens. But, if we had him last year we probs would have stayed up, he converts them. 
Makes me feel sick the thought of Missilou standing over that penalty. 

3 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Anyhow, if we are going to give any player stick can it be Shelton ? He’s done nothing since he’s signed. 

Yeah, after the rave reviews from Hartlepool fans I thought we had a bit of coup. Box to box all action he was described as . . . 🧐

Edited by League one forever

6 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Anyhow, if we are going to give any player stick can it be Shelton ? He’s done nothing since he’s signed. 

6 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

According to the Wealdstone website he played the through ball for Nuttall's first, couldn't tell from the away end. I haven't really noticed him do much in the games I've seen, will be making a concerted effort to look out for him next time out.