MATCH: Wealdstone (A) 28/03/23

23 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Anyhow, if we are going to give any player stick can it be Shelton ? He’s done nothing since he’s signed. 

Yeah he's been a disappointment, don't really see what he brings to the side at all. Like Lee says above, might be a better shout a right back, but I certainly haven't seen anything to justify the hype from Hartlepool fans

17 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

According to the Wealdstone website he played the through ball for Nuttall's first, couldn't tell from the away end. I haven't really noticed him do much in the games I've seen, will be making a concerted effort to look out for him next time out. 

Again, I'll caveat it by saying an assist is an assist. But the pass for Nuttall's goal was straight to the Wealdstone centre back, who managed to collide with his own centre back and let the ball trickle through to Nuttall...

2 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Again, I'll caveat it by saying an assist is an assist. But the pass for Nuttall's goal was straight to the Wealdstone centre back, who managed to collide with his own centre back and let the ball trickle through to Nuttall...

It was also Sutton who played that ball wasn’t it ? It did Shelton take it off him 

24 minutes ago, Oldham82 said:

Willoughby from chester will score alot for us with right service and we got to give forshaw from youth set up a go he can be a star

A bit different knocking 18 year olds about to getting lumps kicked out of you by some of the gorillas pretending to be centre halves in this league, but may be OK if brought along slowly.

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

I'm well aware that a goal is a goal and all that, and Neil Redfearn blah blah, but haven't 10 of them been pens? I'm certain he'll come good for us, but he needs to do more. Much more...

Forshaw's 2 goals this week kind of make my case that penalties shouldn't be discounted - the first was an open goal from 1 yard out, the second a keeper clearance that cannoned off him into the net.  2 goals from open play according to the stats books but for me, scoring a penalty is harder than both of those.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Forshaw's 2 goals this week kind of make my case that penalties shouldn't be discounted - the first was an open goal from 1 yard out, the second a keeper clearance that cannoned off him into the net.  2 goals from open play according to the stats books but for me, scoring a penalty is harder than both of those.

A striker is bound to be in the right place at the right time to take a penalty.  No guarantee that will be the case for a tap in

2 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

A bit different knocking 18 year olds about to getting lumps kicked out of you by some of the gorillas pretending to be centre halves in this league, but may be OK if brought along slowly.

Have you seen the size of Forshaw? like a young  Erling Haarland. Scores goals too...

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/teams/YouthTeam/forward/jake-forshaw/

Edited by BP1960

53 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

A striker is bound to be in the right place at the right time to take a penalty.  No guarantee that will be the case for a tap in

No keeper to try and stop an open goal, no fans behind the goal praying for you to score or jeering in your face, no opposition winding you up for 20 seconds all adding to the pressure before you hit it.

I'm just saying penalties should count wherever they rank on the difficulty level. Maybe I'm biased because I used to take them!

• Like 1

On 3/28/2023 at 10:52 PM, the_mighty_bosh said:

We could still do with one more win to absolutely guarantee safety, but in reality there's more than enough teams between us and the dropzone who can't all go on a winning run.  Added to that Yeovil are on course to score less than a goal a game which doesn't bode well in a relegation battle.

After Wrexham on Saturday our run-in is mostly against mid-table teams.  Can't see us bombing for the rest of the season.

Goal difference advantage wiped out now, and 2 teams below win, we're definitely not safe yet 

52 minutes ago, St92 said:

Goal difference advantage wiped out now, and 2 teams below win, we're definitely not safe yet 

As bad as today was, if it had followed a couple of defeats I would've been worried.  But this is a freak result against a club that should be two levels above their current position and it's on the back of our three straight draws against mid-table teams.  I can see us picking up at least 6 points from the last 6 games which would be more than fine.

Add to that you have Yeovil who are currently losing, Gateshead who are going to have to fit in 9 league matches in a month with a small squad and York who are having a lot of off-field problems at present and I wouldn't be surprised if we stayed up without even getting another point.

3 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

As bad as today was, if it had followed a couple of defeats I would've been worried.  But this is a freak result against a club that should be two levels above their current position and it's on the back of our three straight draws against mid-table teams.  I can see us picking up at least 6 points from the last 6 games which would be more than fine.

Add to that you have Yeovil who are currently losing, Gateshead who are going to have to fit in 9 league matches in a month with a small squad and York who are having a lot of off-field problems at present and I wouldn't be surprised if we stayed up without even getting another point.

Gateshead could only name 4 subs today, with one being an academy player making his debut in the squad and another academy player making his first start.

They could really struggle to pick up enough points to catch us.

6 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

Gateshead could only name 4 subs today, with one being an academy player making his debut in the squad and another academy player making his first start.

They could really struggle to pick up enough points to catch us.

Yet they continue to get results.
Gateshead will not be relegated.

12 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Yet they continue to get results.
Gateshead will not be relegated.

Yeah I think they'll survive too. Aside from their small squad I can see their upcoming trip to Wembley being a disadvantage for their league status.

Maidstone can't catch us.

If we draw against Scunny they can't catch us (barring a weird turn round in Goal difference)

A lot of the teams below us are still to play each other - they can't both win.

We could have enough points already. But draws at Scunny and Yeovil wil be enough to see us safe I reckon.

• Matt unfeatured this topic
  • 2 months later...
On 3/28/2023 at 12:38 PM, TheBigDog said:

Just checked back and to be fair to you, you did say ‘dunno, when asked if he was coming in 😃

You also said:

’If he does sign and is good, then it will be an Unsworth signing. If he signs and is poor, then it will be a signing made by the club.’ which probably added to my misinterpretation…

btw You DID say that Willoughby will sign in the summer, so, if that doesn’t happen, I’ll be back on your case then! 😉

Willoughby has signed in the summer...