MATCH: Wrecsam (A) 01/04/23

1 minute ago, yarddog73 said:

With better players and a few hundred thousand light....

Anyway way the hate for Shez?, as you point out it doesn't matter who the manager is or have you changed your mind again.

No hate for the great man, just level headed analysis.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, deyres42 said:

No hate for the great man, just level headed analysis.

You literally posted about an hour ago that the manager has little influence at this level but still blame Shez despite him working in near impossible conditions, you'll then defend Unsworth and blame the ten players he's brought in and the six months he's had with them on the training pitch for yesterdays abject performance - which way do you want it?

59 minutes ago, League one forever said:

It really isn’t.

Phil Parkinson would have this squad in the top 10 no question. 

Easy thing to say when there is absolutely no way to prove or disprove your statement though is there? 

11 hours ago, Flemboy said:

I watched it all and I've said my thoughts on here already.Mullins and Lee were superb 

Also I want to thank Kerry Evans who arranged for seating in the disabled section and the excellent stewarding.

Kerry is a diamond.

36 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I think you've completely missed the point, given his hands were literally tied with hindsight you could make excuses, what's Unsworths excuse then for taking us backwards?. If as you say we've improved the squad whose at fault for us regressing?.

can we really use the word regress if your sample size begins and ends in the same season?

9 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

You literally posted about an hour ago that the manager has little influence at this level but still blame Shez despite him working in near impossible conditions, you'll then defend Unsworth and blame the ten players he's brought in and the six months he's had with them on the training pitch for yesterdays abject performance - which way do you want it?

Not blaming anybody. I do believe a lot of Sheri's recruitment was questionable and a factor in where we are when you consider a chunk of them have ended up unpickable for various reasons.

Yesterday's result shouldn't have come to a shock to anybody, if it has then they haven't been paying attention.

Managers are only ever as good as their players, if anybody thinks a different one would have got an extra 15-20 points from the same group then that's up to them.

5 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Not blaming anybody. I do believe a lot of Sheri's recruitment was questionable and a factor in where we are when you consider a chunk of them have ended up unpickable for various reasons.

Yesterday's result shouldn't have come to a shock to anybody, if it has then they haven't been paying attention.

Managers are only ever as good as their players, if anybody thinks a different one would have got an extra 15-20 points from the same group then that's up to them.

Yesterday's players are Unsworths so where do we go from here? Yesterday's result wasn't a shock but the performance was, as for paying attention you don't even bother to go watch so Unsworth is hardly selling the dream to you is he, as for Shez signings being unpickable you may have a point with some but all that proves is that Unsworth is doing a worse job with a better group of players.

14 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Easy thing to say when there is absolutely no way to prove or disprove your statement though is there? 

I just picked Parkinson for reference. I think lots of managers could and would do a better job with this squad. Because let’s be honest - it’s not difficult to beat his points per game is it. 

8 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

by 'the same group' do you mean all 48 of them and are we spreading it out every player available every game or just the ones signed on at specific matches?

l reckon if Phil Parkinson inheritted every player we have used this season and we gave him the 300 matches or wtvr it is wrexham have given him he would have us challenging.

Again, this is completely untrue as has been proven many times.

Look where Stevenage are now compared to last season as an example for starters 

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Yesterday's players are Unsworths so where do we go from here? Yesterday's result wasn't a shock but the performance was, as for paying attention you don't even bother to go watch so Unsworth is hardly selling the dream to you is he, as for Shez signings being unpickable you may have a point with some but all that proves is that Unsworth is doing a worse job with a better group of players.

Ill health has unfortunately kept me away in recent months but I've watched and followed as much as possible.

Where do we go from here? Into a very important summer where recruitment will need to be much more targeted and improved.

Just now, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Again, this is completely untrue as has been proven many times.

Look where Stevenage are now compared to last season as an example for starters 

A quick look on Soccerbase tells me they've turned over quite a lot of players from the end of last season...

19 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Honestly think you could have put one of the 800 travelling fans from yesterday in the dugout from September and they'd have got an extra 10 points with the backing Unsworth has had...

Ill health has unfortunately kept me away in recent months but I've watched and followed as much as possible.

Where do we go from here? Into a very important summer where recruitment will need to be much more targeted and improved.

agree with this. yesterday was hard. l enjoyed the two days after the forum where lots of people tried to swallow their pride and back Frank after all he has done for us. too early to judge how many stayed on board with all regressed emotion we all carry about with us bursting out almost as soon as the team was published.

16 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

There are countless examples of managers coming in and getting better results with the same players. 

De Zerbi at Brighton has taken them to a new level, with the same players. 

Dyche has improved Everton with the same players.

But yeah, managers don’t matter. . 

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

There are countless examples of managers coming in and getting better results with the same players. 

De Zerbi at Brighton has taken them to a new level, with the same players. 

Dyche has improved Everton with the same players.

But yeah, managers don’t matter. . 

It does help when you have skilled players to begin with...

6 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

A quick look on Soccerbase tells me they've turned over quite a lot of players from the end of last season...

That might be the case but do you reckon that Stevenage of all clubs recruited enough quality to stage a promotion push? Or do you think they've been helped by having a successful, experienced manager?

It does help when you have skilled players to begin with...

But they weren’t that skilled under potter and Lampard were they? Because neither team was doing was it is now. 

So what changed these players I wonder? What changed them from underperforming and not getting the results they are now? 

It’s really weird. 

It’s almost like managers do matter. 

Just now, Guy Branston Pickle said:

That might be the case but do you reckon that Stevenage of all clubs recruited enough quality to stage a promotion push? Or do you think they've been helped by having a successful, experienced manager?

I'm sure the person in the dugout hasn't been a hindrance.

Just now, League one forever said:

But they weren’t that skilled under potter and Lampard were they? Because neither team was doing was it is now. 

So what changed these players I wonder? What changed them from underperforming and not getting the results they are now? 

It’s really weird. 

It’s almost like managers do matter. 

Not sure Potter would have got the job he has now if his previous team was underperforming but if you look further up the thread I did make the suggestion that the higher the level the more of an edge a manager can give.

Not sure Potter would have got the job he has now if his previous team was underperforming but if you look further up the thread I did make the suggestion that the higher the level the more of an edge a manager can give.

So. . where are we?

Managers don’t matter.

Well, they do higher up. 

Which must mean in your view, that tactics and managers are irrelevant at our level- you just need to spend millions to have the best players. 

Cool story. 

I hope Frank has the pockets needed to fulfil your entitled desire - that he just needs to spend spend spend to make the manager irrelevant. 

16 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I'm sure the person in the dugout hasn't been a hindrance.

Oh Eyrsey. 

I missed this. 

Sorry. 

So. . where are we? 

Managers don’t  matter. 

Well, they do higher up. (Prem) 

Managers don’t matter. 

But they’re not a hinderance to success in league two.  

What about the championship and league one?

Where is the ‘matter- to- success- ratio’ in those leagues? 

8 minutes ago, League one forever said:

So. . where are we?

Managers don’t matter.

Well, they do higher up. 

Which must mean in your view, that tactics and managers are irrelevant at our level- you just need to spend millions to have the best players. 

Cool story. 

I hope Frank has the pockets needed to fulfil your entitled desire - that he just needs to spend spend spend to make the manager irrelevant. 

They matter more at the higher levels, in my opinion. You disagree, not a problem.

Archived