MATCH: Wrecsam (A) 01/04/23

11 minutes ago, JoeP said:

So Nuttall (who I assume you're referring to as the "decent money" signing), Rooney (Player of the Year from this league twice), Reid (who had scored a few for Solihull) and a load of others, cast off and loans or not.

It's not Wrexham levels of investment, granted but it's more than most teams in this division and certainly more than Shez had.

I left at 3-1 yesterday.  The game was done long before then.  I want "Typical Latics" to be having a go whoever the opposition are.  Unsworth doesn't get that.  I remain sceptical about how much of a mark the "run" we've had is an indication of progress.  We don't seem much better than the side Shez cobbled together and it's boring to watch and predictable.

Decent solid additions and most have improved the team to some degree, you wouldn't describe any as 'wow' signings though.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Don't think the manager matters if they get enough good players in.

Like Potter at Chelsea perhaps? 🤣 For whom as it happens I have sympathy, but to say the manager doesn't matter if there are enough good players is just silly.

Have been a big Clarke fan over the years, and granted he won’t face many teams like that going forward, he looked every bit a 41 year old centre half yesterday. Doubt he’ll be here next season, think it’s time to let go.

3 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Like Potter at Chelsea perhaps? 🤣 For whom as it happens I have sympathy, but to say the manager doesn't matter if there are enough good players is just silly.

I think at the higher levels a manager can give you an notable edge, not sure that is as much of a factor the lower you go.

12 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I think at the higher levels a manager can give you an notable edge, not sure that is as much of a factor the lower you go.

Rubbish! If that was the case, there is no need to employ a manager

Still not convinced DU will turn around our fortunes but the board currently believes so & they’re the ones writing the cheques.  

Yesterday was Hollywood budget versus Oldham sustainability.  Would be a dream if we could afford the likes of Mullin, OConnell, Barnett, Lee & Palmer but not going to happen for years and via back-to-back promotions.  DR states we will have Top 6 budget next season… higher if/once Wrexham, Notts County go up.

However, we had supposedly “strengthened” too since we played them at BP … yet we were much more convincing with that old squad and before DU had chance to influence the team.  Does make you think has DU taken us backwards and whether someone else in charge for the last 5 months would have us further up the table and would have had us more of a threat to Wrexham than we were yesterday?!

Just hoping throwing this budget at DU isn’t another wasted opportunity and we’re not ruing what could have been come October 2023.

3 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

… 

It worries me massively that everyone is happy to accept him fucking next season up already…

Some of our fans need to stop making excuses for this chump as does his pal the CEO because we deserve better…

So is it everyone or some?

I’m certain that there is not a single genuine fan who would be happy for him to ‘fuck up’ next season 😮

I agree that there are many who are saying that we have to show continuity and give him time but it’s not everyone saying that.

In my view, he should have gone earlier in the season but I have to accept that he is not going anywhere just yet.

The loyalty shown to him by the board is laudable but there is this nagging doubt that, even though results have improved, long term he is not going to be the one to get us promoted out of this division.

I’ve seen us play live on 25 occasions this season and a few more on National League TV. 
To put it quite simply, we are not a very good football team. Too narrow and constantly concede space - we must be an easy side to play against and that would explain why so many teams seen so much sharper/faster/fitter/technically adept than us.

The players yesterday have to take the majority of the blame but so does the management team.

We had two attempts (both in the first half) all game. No corners either according to the stats.

Not good enough.

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

Woken up this morning and still as fumming and embarrassed as I was yesterday. 
Why he setup with a 5 at the back I’ll never know. Sutton at wing back and Clarke, as much as I respect the guy, was absolutely crap. There was no need to change to a back 5! We would have benefited from another man in midfield to sit on Cannon if anything.

Like someone said, Nuttall was winning all his flick on but Bas, has no idea how to play football, what a waste of time giving him minutes on the pitch. Nuttall then became ineffective for 70 mins of the game.

Rooney, he’s the only player that even looks like he can play football, poor lad must be baffled with the quality in this squad.

Chapman, well, exactly as you’d expect, shambolic. 
Hudson, shambolic since the first minute, drop him.

He had the perfect opportunity to play his favoured formation of 433 as the fans would have accepted one up top away to Wrexham. He could have played Tollitt and Green off Nuttall and that would have given us so much more structure and danger on the counter. 
Instead, he played a CB at RWB, let that sink in. He played one of our youth centre backs at RWB, does anyone have a clue in that coaching team? - I said days before the game, if he plays 5 at the back and Sutton at wing back we are in trouble. 

Than the subs. That performance in the first half was an absolute embarrassment. Despite Hogan somehow scoring and keeping us in touching distance, that was an opportunity for him to lay down a marker and let the players know that performance will not be accepted. He made one change, given Bas was down injured for a while I suspect it was forced. Any decent manager would have made three changes at half time, continuing with what we produced that first half was always going to be a loss, so there was an opportunity to show some fight, passion, or just to make an example by making the three subs, he didn’t he effectively rolled over and we got spanked. 

Fondop, hard to comment on this, I bet he’s massively frustrated. However coming back from the Halifax game and doing that again is not acceptable. Is that 4 games without him now ? If we do get back near the drop zone, this will be a big moment to look back on. Luckily we are safe imo. We need one win and we have to play Yeovil so that secures that. 

All round embarrassing day. Coming from North Wales myself, I couldn’t stomach having my phone on whilst all my mates who now have an interest in Wrexham (typical) send comments with how shit we are. I’ve wanted Unsworth gone since it became apparent he’s gutless and can’t manage. I went quiet, as he’s never going anywhere. 

Spot on.We will never get promotion with this clown in charge despite how much of Frank's money he wastes

28 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Its actually more important in my opinion and needs someone far more savvy, which Unsworth as of yet has struggled to come to terms with, yesterday he just planted himself on the bench at times as if he couldn't be arsed, Jeffers and Eberell generally come over as beaten as well, you couldn't imagine Joe going anywhere back in the day expecting to get battered but maybe it's just a sign of the times.

I keep seeing how we have made small improvements with Unsworth, really? We are currently 3rd bottom of the form table (funny how people have stopped putting them up after we had a couple of decent results) Unsworth has picked up 1.16pts per game opposed to Shez who had picked up 1.22pts per game despite bringing in a ton of players. He should be down the road, he spoke well at the forum the other night but all managers do, he is media savvy and rolls out the same soundbites week after week. We aren't challenging next season with him signing players in the summer, we will end up sacking him by November by which time the season will be over for us again in terms of trying to get promoted. Leave him in post for the last 6 games, we should limp to enough points to see us safe and then fire him!

I think it's worth noting that Shez had us higher in the table with zero backing, Darren Royle frothing at the mouth for him to fail, Unsworth watching us from the Main Stand in disguise totally undermining Shez and his 'team', Unsworth has been handed everything he wants and we still can't put out an eleven who can compete and look like they have a clue. One of Shez players started yesterday and he's been our best player in recent weeks so this notion that we are somehow better player for player now is a bullshit myth, we are also close on bottom of the form table again as well.

Looking at yesterdays stats is embarrassing and other than Hogans well taken goal we didn't even had a shot and had more red cards than corners. 

A woeful effort yesterday. Every team in that league should be up for giving it a go at The Racecourse and I expect all will have put up a better performance than we could muster. The coaching team have so many players, admittedly many aren't up to it, to select from that the least we should expect is to be set up to compete. 

Unsworth's demeanour in his post match interview is baffling. It gives the impression that staff and players accepted the game was up before we took the field. Unacceptable. Southend, with a threadbare first team squad, ran Wrexham close 3 weeks ago and lost due to a dubious penalty. They had a game plan on a heavy pitch and it nearly paid off. What was our plan yesterday?

I've seen a few folk mention the win at Barnet. We weren't particularly good that night, but came up against a side with a poor stand-in keeper and one or two other key players out. I saw Barnet win at Roots Hall on the Friday and they were a different proposition with Walker back in goal and Smith leading the line. We didn't cross any line towards being competent.

While we're dreadful to watch, I don't doubt there are some players in the squad who can do a job - they've proved they can cut the mustard at this level, with other good players around them and astute coaching. But, we look so far off it in every area of the pitch.. and that's shit and ruining what's a great story off the pitch. Ends rant.

The worrying thing is we lost 1 v 5 without even having a go!

This team is absolutely light years away from any sort of promotion challenge.

I have said I will judge Unsworth next season but we will need to see a transformation like never before…..

If I was doing the job I would probably have resigned by now!

The fact Frank is not really a football connoisseur has helped him massively but if we’re not in the top seven 2 months into the new season he will have to go!

19 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I think it's worth noting that Shez had us higher in the table with zero backing, Darren Royle frothing at the mouth for him to fail, Unsworth watching us from the Main Stand in disguise totally undermining Shez and his 'team', Unsworth has been handed everything he wants and we still can't put out an eleven who can compete and look like they have a clue. One of Shez players started yesterday and he's been our best player in recent weeks so this notion that we are somehow better player for player now is a bullshit myth, we are also close on bottom of the form table again as well.

Looking at yesterdays stats is embarrassing and other than Hogans well taken goal we didn't even had a shot and had more red cards than corners. 

It is only worth noting by those desperate to spin the narrative that Sheri was doing a good job...

25 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

It is only worth noting by those desperate to spin the narrative that Sheri was doing a good job...

I think you've completely missed the point, given his hands were literally tied with hindsight you could make excuses, what's Unsworths excuse then for taking us backwards?. If as you say we've improved the squad whose at fault for us regressing?.

31 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

At the time, Sheridan wasn’t doing a good job as the team was weak, and we had no structure. - he takes the flak for that, however it is worth noting he pulled that side together during a turmoil period. 

Moving away from recruitment and backing. Would Sheridan get more out of this group of players ? It is subjective, but I really do believe he would. Would we be sitting in the playoffs ? I’m not so sure, but I would bet we wouldn’t have flirted with relegation and we certainly wouldn’t be as bad to watch as we are now. 

5 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I think you've completely missed the point, given his hands were literally tied with hindsight you could make excuses, what's Unsworths excuse then for taking us backwards?. If as you say we've improved the squad whose at fault for us regressing?.

It’s weird how we have seen Unsworth keeping us up as a job well done, when Shez had us in 15th isn’t it 😂

Did Frank really build a succesful business with failing staff and a poor product?

I think he needs to take a good look at how his latest aquasition is being run.

Cut down on the agents fees too which at £80,000 for the year up to January 2023 look to be poor value for money.

14 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Well we haven't regressed have we, we are in the same position...

10 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Well we haven't regressed have we, we are in the same position...

With better players and a few hundred thousand light....

Anyway why the hate for Shez?, as you point out it doesn't matter who the manager is or have you changed your mind again.

Archived