MATCH: Scunthorpe United (A) 10/04/23

40 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Did he not play well today?did you watch the match?

Yes - I sat through another turgid 90 mins. I think he's poor, but then again I'm not won over by Reid. I appreciate Reid may be finding his way back after injury and that the service he receives is crap, but I want to see him falling over a bit less and showing some more intent.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Funes said:

Yes - I sat through another turgid 90 mins. I think he's poor, but then again I'm not won over by Reid. I appreciate Reid may be finding his way back after injury and that the service he receives is crap, but I want to see him falling over a bit less and showing some more intent.

Sambou won headers and held it up well at times today. Never stopped. Won a penalty and scored. Sounds poor

1 hour ago, Wardie said:

I'm quite happy that my gloomy, but realistic prediction didn't come true and that hopefully sees Latics safe. Scunny fans must be devastated and it won't be easy for them to bounce back.

Wrexham and County could both probably sail through League Two, as Stockport appear to be doing this season. It would be quite the turnaround, Stockport in league One and Latics in the NL.

"It could be worse, at least we're not..."

Those were the days 

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Sambou won headers and held it up well at times today. Never stopped. Won a penalty and scored. Sounds poor

Sambou did well, he took his penalty well.

Reid also did well, and put in a shift, with little service.

Shelton is poor and not the midfielder we need, he spends a lot of time falling over and looking for a foul.

Chapman, I don't see what he offers, I don't want him here next season.

Rooney can only play with his right foot, as our playmaker, doesn't offer much, most of his dead ball kicks come to nothing and due to his inability to play with both feet, he can't switch from left to right and can be closed down easily.

There are a few more in that team where an upgrade would be needed if we are to progress, Scuntorpe were poor and we weren't much better, even the commentators sounded bored.

Brief glimpses of basic footballing ability does not mean Sambou played well. The bar must be that low it's on the floor if we think Sambou played well.  He should be nowhere near an Oldham side aiming for promotion next season.

37 minutes ago, Peak Latic said:

Brief glimpses of basic footballing ability does not mean Sambou played well. The bar must be that low it's on the floor if we think Sambou played well.  He should be nowhere near an Oldham side aiming for promotion next season.

He did play well. Not sure how that's even up for debate. Whether he's going to be an improvement on what we have or be good enough to play regularly i agree is up for debate 

Whats Unsworth talking about regards threats at the game today, and that the police were spoken too etc, I haven’t heard anything. 
Did seem to be very excessive with number of police and stewards, like they were expecting something. 

5 minutes ago, daniel said:

Whats Unsworth talking about regards threats at the game today, and that the police were spoken too etc, I haven’t heard anything. 
Did seem to be very excessive with number of police and stewards, like they were expecting something. 

Probably had more to do with the fact that the home team have been relegated in successive seasons and it's going to take at least as many to get back in the FL

30 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

If our team is built around John Rooney next season, then we'll finish no higher than 10th. We need better...

Hate the phrase because it applies to every player. But, Rooney would benefit from some better players around him. He’s the only one that looks like a footballer that can control the ball in our team. 

Side note, Shelton was garbage again against Scunthorpe. 

Scunthorpe were a very poor team and were there for the taking.

IMO we played a lot better against Altrincham.

Most of the football we’ve played this season has been shocking.Hopefully next season can only get better 🤞🤞🤞🤞🤞

Shelton is obviously carrying a knock or two, he's better than he's showing and was brought back to help us secure our position in this League, I suspect one or two others have been turning out when normally they wouldn't, Shelton hasn't even trained for a week or two.

Yesterday was a nothing game for me. 

It was obviously good that we won but it was a very poor game with a dearth of quality on show.

Scunthorpe’s performance showed why they have been relegated.

Oldham’ performance showed why we need to bring in better players.

I watched the game on NTV but cannot recall many chances created by either team  - frankly speaking, it was an extremely boring contest punctuated with two or three decent moments that elevated the game above mediocre:

The first goal - route one but a very good flick on by Reid and a tidy finish by Green.

The second goal - a cool finish from the spot by Sambou.

One very good save by Norman.

And that’s about it. It played out very much like an end of season game. Only Yarney, Reid and Green stood out for me with a neat cameo from Clarke late on.

Very few of the starting eleven last night should be starting next season - perhaps Norman, Yarney, Rooney, Green and Nuttall.

Squad players: Hudson, Hogan, Kitching, Reid and Sutton.

The summer and preseason rebuild is going to be very interesting.

12 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Hate the phrase because it applies to every player. But, Rooney would benefit from some better players around him. He’s the only one that looks like a footballer that can control the ball in our team. 

Side note, Shelton was garbage again against Scunthorpe. 

That's kinda my point. If he's our best player next season (which he could well be at the moment), we'll be nowhere near going up. Keep him in the side by all means, but we need better players than him to be successful...

11 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Yesterday was a nothing game for me. 

It was obviously good that we won but it was a very poor game with a dearth of quality on show.

Scunthorpe’s performance showed why they have been relegated.

Oldham’ performance showed why we need to bring in better players.

I watched the game on NTV but cannot recall many chances created by either team  - frankly speaking, it was an extremely boring contest punctuated with two or three decent moments that elevated the game above mediocre:

The first goal - route one but a very good flick on by Reid and a tidy finish by Green.

The second goal - a cool finish from the spot by Sambou.

One very good save by Norman.

And that’s about it. It played out very much like an end of season game. Only Yarney, Reid and Green stood out for me with a neat cameo from Clarke late on.

Very few of the starting eleven last night should be starting next season - perhaps Norman, Yarney, Rooney, Green and Nuttall.

Squad players: Hudson, Hogan, Kitching, Reid and Sutton.

The summer and preseason rebuild is going to be very interesting.

Kitching definite first team. Needs someone who can play left wing to overlap with. 

• Matt unfeatured this topic

Archived