Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

He'll need to get the wage bill down I suspect so you're more likely to see someone like Nuttall offered about.

There maybe some like, Norman who Unsworth doesn't seem to like because he's not his signing, Tollitt who he doesn't trust, similar with Fondop and Hope who can't make a squad despite looking sharp and has the ability to play wide in a front three which we were crying out for.

I think I read somewhere Unsworth has used over 40 different players now and we still can't name a settled 11 or play in a recognisable structured way despite him being with the club a full calendar year a full pre season and seemingly having every recognisable resource available to him.

I know we have no midfield but I just think we are throwing good money after bad, Hobson is a classic example, to be fair to the lad he's kept his head down and waited for his opportunity after being hung out to dry being asked to play rightback/right wingback pre season and at Southend but why was Raglan signed and significant budget lost when we already had Hogan, Hobson, Sutton, McGahey and Sheron on the books who've all played the position, it's smacks to me like we are doing deals for agents whose clients want to be around Manchester rather than having a strategic plan in place to take the club forward. Having six strikers on the books and six centrehalves is ludicrous when we still have gaping holes in the squad.

Agents dictate, the days of using your own eyes appear gone.

Why sign players who can't have been watched over the last 12 months when you have no idea if they are match fit or capable anymore?

2 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I don't see what others are seemingly seeing in Raglan - at the moment.

I've not seen anyone saying they're seeing anything in Raglan.... 

I'm reluctant to judge any player under Unsworth but he's been a big disappointment so far, as a CB and a leader....

I'd still start him ahead of Hogan though...

Alongside Hobson who looked half decent (and way more likely to progress) on Saturday  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, HarryBosch said:

I've not seen anyone saying they're seeing anything in Raglan.... 

I'm reluctant to judge any player under Unsworth but he's been a big disappointment so far, as a CB and a leader....

I'd still start him ahead of Hogan though...

Alongside Hobson who looked half decent (and way more likely to progress) on Saturday  

Agreed. 

Hogan’s main attribute appears to be shouting. 

On 9/3/2023 at 4:33 PM, Monty Burns said:

response to para 1. well you defo shudnt be commenting without watching/listening. l'm going to actually type wink bc lm not too keen on the emoji!!!

response to para 2. it defo wasnt but that doesnt mean he cant sack him if we are fuckin about with a low block counter attack in division 5 and floundering in november. 

Oh I don't let not having watched/listened to a speech stop me from having a view! For example, I've never sat through a Trump speech but I have a reasonable (my opinion) view that he is not fit to be President! Anyway, on the far more important issue of our club:

• I'm actually with those who say Frank shouldn't really go in the away end and "mix it" with the fans - there'll always be a few who go over the top with remarks about Unsworth or anyone else, and Frank doesn't deserve that (I'm not saying those fans are not entitled to their view).
  • Yes of course the owner/Board's patience is not limitless. There will come a point where that patience runs out, however supportive they are - and 14 league wins out of 44 games suggests they are very supportive.
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Oh I don't let not having watched/listened to a speech stop me from having a view! For example, I've never sat through a Trump speech but I have a reasonable (my opinion) view that he is not fit to be President! Anyway, on the far more important issue of our club:

• I'm actually with those who say Frank shouldn't really go in the away end and "mix it" with the fans - there'll always be a few who go over the top with remarks about Unsworth or anyone else, and Frank doesn't deserve that (I'm not saying those fans are not entitled to their view).
  • Yes of course the owner/Board's patience is not limitless. There will come a point where that patience runs out, however supportive they are - and 14 league wins out of 44 games suggests they are very supportive.

yeah but you must have heard trump speech clips by accident on the news n stuff? 🤮

anyway lets not bc there will be trump lovers in here. everywhere has them l'm finding 😔 

edit sorry l didnt even address your post!

as Mr Shankly says above; Frank in the away end will end in tears.

l'll stop short of saying it will happen, but the potential for it is defo there amongst the ungrateful lads.

Edited by Monty Burns
as specified
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

Some perfectly reasonable points but Hobson didn't play right back/wingback at Southend until Sutton got himself sent off and how do we know Hope is looking sharp?

one half in pre season he looked good, about a month ago maybe more. but when thems got an agenda thems gona squeeze alllllll the digs into their post.

Edited by Monty Burns
dropped a full stop for a comma

11 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

He has played two games - in the first he looked dreadful, in the second he looked decent.

In the first he was Unsified into a right back. 

In the second he played his natural position. 

Amazing what happens when they play where they’re supposed to. 😁

Edited by League one forever
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, League one forever said:

It's been said elsewhere but Hobson started as a RCB against Southend, he only moved to RB after Sutton was sent off. Although the formation didn't work on the day, I thought he looked OK in that first game and I was a bit surprised he was the one to make way when we went to a back 4. He's more physical than Raglan and Hogan, with a bit more pace.

Edited by Hemel latic

8 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Correct, he only played his natural position once pre season alongside Raglan away at Chorley and he was the best defender on the pitch, unsurprisingly that was the best we played in pre season by a country mile despite Chorley posing decent attacking threat, it's almost like Unsworth used pre season to get fit rather than form some sort team and formation. Only problem I have with Raglan as the left sided centre back and it wasn't exposed at Chorley is his tendency to move the ball on to his stronger foot, he literally has no left leg.

2 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

It's been said elsewhere but Hobson started as a RCB against Southend, he only moved to RB after Sutton was sent off. Although the formation didn't work on the day, I thought he looked OK in that first game and I was a bit surprised he was the one to make way when we went to a back 4. He's more physical than Raglan and Hogan, with a bit more pace.

Sorry forgot about that. 

I was thinking of his sub

appearance against Aldershot at right back. 

3 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

He's a better footballer full stop. 

59 minutes ago, League one forever said:

48 minutes ago, Hemel latic said:

…Hobson started as a RCB against Southend, he only moved to RB after Sutton was sent off. 

🙄

5 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Hobson and Sutton at DC for me, if others go the lad from Curzon Ashton would fit the bill.

I think if we're serious about challenging at the top end this season, Sutton shouldn't be starting, at least not yet. He's got potential and I know he's mostly playing out of position but I still don't think he's at this level yet.

6 minutes ago, doctor evil said:

I think if we're serious about challenging at the top end this season, Sutton shouldn't be starting, at least not yet. He's got potential and I know he's mostly playing out of position but I still don't think he's at this level yet.

No.

the best pairing is clearly Raglan and Hobson but l think Rhino is a touch too nice to do it.

7 minutes ago, doctor evil said:

So how does he get there then? Not seen a lot about the 'B' team- is that still a thing?