Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

44 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Very true, being largely advised by......... David Unsworth.

Andy makes a fair point but what sort of qualifications do these board members hold then?.

The Rothwells and family seem largely oblivious, Darren's past for some is questionable, I haven't even seen a couple of the other directors around the club for a while so whose making the call in the face of supporter backlash?, are the new owners stubborn by nature and prepared to plough on regardless? It can't be how they envisaged it (on the pitch) and you'd would struggle in my opinion to find anyone outside of the boardroom who given the choice would choose Unsworth to continue as Oldham Athletics manager, are they that out of touch that they'll allow this continue if results don't significantly improve?.

I keep hearing about all the good work going on off the pitch but ultimately at some stage the football side along with the recruitment could undo and undermine a lot of all that because of what is happening on the pitch,  it's the Rothwells money so they are free to do as they like but this notion that they know best along with the rest of the board on the face of it appears fanciful to me because on the playing side from appointing this manager and the subsequent recruitment is all a bit car crash.

What makes them more qualified is that they are privy to all the information inside the club that we don't have. They will know what relationship the Manager has with the players what's going on on the training ground, how much we actually spent on recruitment this summer, and what challenges we faced when dealing with players and agents. They will be privy to other things such as the levels of fitness if players in the squad that we don't know about.

As fans while we aren't stupid and have a level of understanding of what's going on. We can all see and understand that so far things haven't been good enough, We only have part of the information. The board will have all of it and from that they have to make the right decision for the club.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Nothing bizarre about it, it is a straightforward question, will the same criteria apply to the next manager as the current one? Given we have this brilliant squad now the answer has to be yes surely?

Nobody has said the squad is brilliant, if it is then they certainly haven’t shown it yet.

We don’t know why that is and how much of that is down to the players and how much is down to Unsworth.

Whatever the reason the buck stops with Unsworth because they are his signings.

Any new manager will hopefully have given his views as to the squad strength and what’s required at interview.

I’m pretty sure any capable manager at this level won’t need a full season to  turn it around.

IMO we can’t remain on our current trajectory so whether we give any new manager 10, 20, or 30 games is irrelevant!

Initially just a simple change in intent would be well received by most!!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Nothing bizarre about it, it is a straightforward question, will the same criteria apply to the next manager as the current one? Given we have this brilliant squad now the answer has to be yes surely?

It’s a stupid question because it in no way has any relevance to us getting rid of the current manager.

Pointless hypotheticals.

One win in 9, 3rd bottom of the division, nobody would have expected that, for certain.

I would take a chance on a new coach right now in the hope that it works out but there are no guarantees whoever  comes in!

IMO, keeping Unsworth is no longer a viable option because with the manner of the defeats and the way we are playing it could quite easily develop into a relegation scrap!

With the backing he’s had and the players he’s brought in that would be unthinkable.

35 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Because we have a great squad, top 2 budget etc. A competent manager just has to point it in the right direction, shouldn't need time for that.

Yes, he has to get them going. And for the record, I think it’ll happen fairly quickly under a competent manager, but there’s no guarantee.

I’m just struggling to grasp your point unless you’re being purposely difficult again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sjk2008 said:

Yes, he has to get them going. And for the record, I think it’ll happen fairly quickly under a competent manager, but there’s no guarantee.

I’m just struggling to grasp your point unless you’re being purposely difficult again.

There has to be a guarantee though surely, given the strength of the playing staff.

If they are unable to propel us up the table straight away then do they have to face the sack as well?

7 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

There has to be a guarantee though surely, given the strength of the playing staff.

If they are unable to propel us up the table straight away then do they have to face the sack as well?

Are you saying we can never sack a manager because the new one isn’t absolutely guaranteed to be any good? 

There are never guarantees. Don’t be silly. 

Just now, kowenicki said:

Are you saying we can never sack a manager because the new one isn’t absolutely guaranteed to be any good? 

There are never guarantees. Don’t be silly. 

The squad is so strong it should be light work for any competent manager, isn't that what people are saying?

30 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

The strength of the squad means win from day one or be sacked, pointless changing the manager otherwise.

Although when Unsworth took the job there were already rumblings regarding his tenure with Everton, I think we were prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt. I wasn't particularly impressed by his appointment. It's pretty obvious now, he does not appear to possess the necessary qualities to take the playing side of the club forward.

Any new appointment does not carry guarantees and I suppose patience from the fans would be there if the performances did show an upward trend. Results would have to follow otherwise the merry-go-round would be on the cards again.

As for Frank. he's a free man and can choose to sit wherever he wants to but surely he can see what is front of his eyes and understand why the fans are making those chants at Unsworth. I can't see anyone abusing Frank on a personal level.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, deyres42 said:

The new manager with get time, just like DU has. Only winning 1 out of 10 would always gets some fans on his back.  All managers would expect pressure to build after that.  You are crazy to suggest we should all be blowing smoke up a managers arse all the time or we are not fans. 

5 minutes ago, Pidge said:

The new manager with get time, just like DU has. Only winning 1 out of 10 would always gets some fans on his back.  All managers would expect pressure to build after that.  You are crazy to suggest we should all be blowing smoke up a managers arse all the time or we are not fans. 

Wasn't suggesting that, was asking if the same rules will apply to the next manager as the current one.

11 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Wasn't suggesting that, was asking if the same rules will apply to the next manager as the current one.

Depends what you are talking about.  Do you mean rules from the club admin? Probably they would want to give him time as well.

If you mean the fans, that was my last answer and you have said you weren’t suggesting fans can’t put pressure on when the manager isn’t performing.  So yes the rules are the same, 10 poor results and some will doubt you. 20 games and most will doubt you, bar a couple. One year of poor results and most fans will want you gone.