Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

43 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Excusing Ward given he's not had the chance to show anything yet there's only really Shelton and perhaps Willoughby who haven't contributed.

Recruitment has been absolutely terrible.

There’s a big difference between simply contributing and playing at a consistent and acceptable standard.

Reid and Green have scored a few goals, Nuttall, Dickenson and Tollit  also but apart from that their general contribution has been absolutely abysmal.

I agree about Ward and I actually think if Willoughby got a bit of a run in the side he could be half decent too!

4 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Recruitment has been absolutely terrible.

There’s a big difference between simply contributing and playing at a consistent and acceptable standard.

Reid and Green have scored a few goals, Nuttall, Dickenson and Tollit  also but apart from that their general contribution has been absolutely abysmal.

I agree about Ward and I actually think if Willoughby got a bit of a run in the side he could be half decent too!

Christ- forgot about Tollit. 

Add him to the list. 

6 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Spot on. 

If we want Promotion then in time we need more like Kitch, who you can rely on for a 7/8 out of ten most weeks. 

The side has picked itself for a while, with the players you can rely on to give a performance. 

Hudson

Raglan 

Hobson

Hogan 

Kitch

Sutton (will get replaced) 

Sheron

Lundy

Squad player/loan

Norwood

Squad player/loan 

Of that starting 11, I think 7 are here to stay, one (Hogan) will get released, and the other 3 are actively being replaced. All while we have a squad of 25. . . 

5 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

init. seasons over two weeks ago aswell acording to you!!

have a day off will ya 🤣

The amount of people (can’t remember who exactly) writing this season off multiple times is actually pathetic. Now they are climbing on the wagon and pretending they never said it. Gotta love it here. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

The amount of people (can’t remember who exactly) writing this season off multiple times is actually pathetic. Now they are climbing on the wagon and pretending they never said it. Gotta love it here. 

#neverunderestimatehowshityoucanbeandfinish7th

The form table since Unsworth left has us 4th as far as I can make out.

The season isn’t over. The squad doesn’t sacking en masse. We aren’t that far off. More signings probably coming in. 20 games to go. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

The squad doesn’t sacking en masse.

Nobody is suggesting it does.

More the constraints 5PM is facing in the market due to the very high number of squad players who hardly ever play. 

The same 8/9 start every game out of a squad of 25. . . I’d wager we don’t sign anymore than one contracted player this month. 

23 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

The form table since Unsworth left has us 4th as far as I can make out.

The season isn’t over. The squad doesn’t sacking en masse. We aren’t that far off. More signings probably coming in. 20 games to go. 

Was going to say apart from that first 9 games the results have seen us produce top 7 results.

I wonder if sub consciously we've put the idea of a promotion chasing side on a pedestal that we are comparing it to what a promotion chasing side in league 1 looks like and expecting our side to look like one.

We are trying to get out if the national league and to top 7 you don't have to be that good. It's a more than achievable.

18 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Nobody is suggesting it does.

More the constraints 5PM is facing in the market due to the very high number of squad players who hardly ever play. 

The same 8/9 start every game out of a squad of 25. . . I’d wager we don’t sign anymore than one contracted player this month. 

Plenty have said things like awful recruitment, get rid of the lot, they’re all bottlers etc. 

Unsworth had a shocking start to the season. He was binned off and since then we’ve been one of the best teams in the division.  I think we’ll see a bit of turnover but even if we don’t change the squad much we should comfortably have enough to finish top 7. Which wouldn’t be a massive disaster considering where the club was in summer 2022. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, League one forever said:

Spot on. 

If we want Promotion then in time we need more like Kitch, who you can rely on for a 7/8 out of ten most weeks. 

The side has picked itself for a while, with the players you can rely on to give a performance. 

Hudson

Raglan 

Hobson

Hogan 

Kitch

Sutton (will get replaced) 

Sheron

Lundy

Squad player/loan

Norwood

Squad player/loan 

Of that starting 11, I think 7 are here to stay, one (Hogan) will get released, and the other 3 are actively being replaced. All while we have a squad of 25. . . 

The player I'd add to that team (maybe to be counted as a squad player) is Hope.  After Reid and McGahey got suspended I was glad he got the nod at Hartlepool, because while he's borderline good enough ability-wise he always strikes me as having the right professionalism and work rate.  Before we bring in the quality required, these two traits will be valued highly by Mellon and rightly so.

Edited by the_mighty_bosh
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

The player I'd add to that team (maybe to be counted as a squad player) is Hope.  After Reid and McGahey got suspended I was glad he got the nod at Hartlepool, because while he's borderline good enough ability-wise he always strikes me as having the right professionalism and work rate.  Before we bring in the quality required, these two traits will be valued highly by Mellon and rightly so.

Yeah, agreed Bosh. 

He’s one of very few who come in as first reserve if you like- Fondop is another. I’d keep both in the squad, because you can rely on a performance for 30 minutes or one game, but they’re not quite good enough to be regular first 11 starters. 

53 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

He was binned off and since then we’ve been one of the best teams in the division.  I think we’ll see a bit of turnover but even if we don’t change the squad much we should comfortably have enough to finish top 7. Which wouldn’t be a massive disaster considering where the club was in summer 2022. 

Yep, but I think that is more a reflection of the manager than the players. The same players couldn’t win a game at the start of the season, they’re now much improved but are still inconsistent in performance level. 

Totally agree with the last sentence, but if we don’t go up- I fully expect big changes in the summer. The difference between sneaking 6/7th and a title winning side is huge. 

50 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Plenty have said things like awful recruitment, get rid of the lot, they’re all bottlers etc. 

Unsworth had a shocking start to the season. He was binned off and since then we’ve been one of the best teams in the division.  I think we’ll see a bit of turnover but even if we don’t change the squad much we should comfortably have enough to finish top 7. Which wouldn’t be a massive disaster considering where the club was in summer 2022. 

But we haven't been one of the best teams in the division, we've been battered off Fylde, Ebbsfleet and fluked past level seven Mickleover on penalties, won our first game at home since September just this week and been generally out fought and outplayed in the majority of the games we've played in.

Squads still disjointed, lopsided and reliant on too few players, of course none of this is MM fault he's actually working minor miracles but let's not kid ourselves we are anywhere near Chesterfields level which is where we should be aspiring to be or even have any sort of identity because we don't. 

Will we make the playoffs? Probably but there is so much to put right it's going to take time to get us anywhere where we need to be, personally I think we will finish about 6th and then we'd be in the lap of the gods with three games to win away from BP to go up.

Another thing to consider is losing Stones, he made a huge difference to us while he was here and rejuvenated us, it will be interesting to see how we cope without him.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, simplythemostimportantkick said:

its actually a boat/ship at the moment, not a wagon. cho chooooo.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Squads still disjointed, lopsided and reliant on too few players, of course none of this is MM fault he's actually working minor miracles but let's not kid ourselves we are anywhere near Chesterfields level which is where we should be aspiring to be or even have any sort of identity because we don't. 

Will we make the playoffs? Probably but there is so much to put right it's going to take time to get us anywhere where we need to be, personally I think we will finish about 6th and then we'd be in the lap of the gods with three games to win away from BP to go up.

Spot on. 

nobody thinks we are chesterfield but theres a small faction hoping we dive bomb into a sports centre. theyre tryna churn shit in your wake. don't get dragged in 😬

21 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

But we haven't been one of the best teams in the division, we've been battered off Fylde, Ebbsfleet and fluked past level seven Mickleover on penalties, won our first game at home since September just this week and been generally out fought and outplayed in the majority of the games we've played in.

Another thing to consider is losing Stones, he made a huge difference to us while he was here and rejuvenated us, it will be interesting to see how we cope without him.

2 hours ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

The player I'd add to that team (maybe to be counted as a squad player) is Hope.

It’s worth mentioning that in a team with such a high churn of staff and players, he’s been valued by all six managers during his time here. Mostly for reasons mentioned, notably his professionalism. I’ve a lot of time and patience for him.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

It’s worth mentioning that in a team with such a high churn of staff and players, he’s been valued by all six managers during his time here. Mostly for reasons mentioned, notably his professionalism. I’ve a lot of time and patience for him.

But we need better if we want to improve, it's harsh to say given he does come over as one of the better pro's within the group. He is versatile and is the type Mellon may like to use from the bench as cover for a variety of positions but for me he's just not got that extra bite we need.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

And he's been just as bad under every single one of those 6 managers...

• Like 3