Summer 2023 Player Signing News & Rumours

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

Frank and his family love the town of Oldham. We couldn’t ask for more involved and connected owners to the town in general. 

More than understandable that people are being cautious. But this isn’t a football agent from Morocco, playing footy manager with his brother, we are talking about. He loves the town, he would not do anything knowingly to the detriment of the club and the town. 

👍🏻

1 hour ago, JoeP said:

Hmmm...I remember thinking that when we qualified for the play-offs under Dowie and when we beat Grimsby 6-0 in front of a full house at Boundary Park.

Not saying it will turn out like this, like but nothing should ever be beyond question..

Nothing should ever be beyond question, definitely, but it doesn't mean we need to be worried until they give us something to worry about.

Moore - "premier league in 5 years", questionable business history, no ties to area. 

TTA - tried to buy another club, attracted to us by the land, no ties to area.

Lemsagams - where to start?

The difference between all those and the Rothwells is vast. For all the above owning a football club (didn't matter which) seemed to be the goal, a vanity project even. Whereas with the Rothwells it was more about saving and investing in a key part of the town and it's community.  Plus they have decades of succesful business behind them, navigating through all sorts of economic ups and downs.

If they give us anything to worry about, then of course, as a fan base we will need to be all over it. But I don't think they've given us anything at all to be concrned about as yet which is why I'm not worried that they're investing in the team now. And I'm not counting them not sacking Unsworth last Christmas! 😀

• Like 9

21 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Nothing should ever be beyond question, definitely, but it doesn't mean we need to be worried until they give us something to worry about.

Moore - "premier league in 5 years", questionable business history, no ties to area. 

TTA - tried to buy another club, attracted to us by the land, no ties to area.

Lemsagams - where to start?

The difference between all those and the Rothwells is vast. For all the above owning a football club (didn't matter which) seemed to be the goal, a vanity project even. Whereas with the Rothwells it was more about saving and investing in a key part of the town and it's community.  Plus they have decades of succesful business behind them, navigating through all sorts of economic ups and downs.

If they give us anything to worry about, then of course, as a fan base we will need to be all over it. But I don't think they've given us anything at all to be concrned about as yet which is why I'm not worried that they're investing in the team now. And I'm not counting them not sacking Unsworth last Christmas! 😀

You don't wait until they give something to worry about - you pre-empt it, before it becomes a bigger problem than in needs to be.  That's where we've gone wrong before.

The Rothwells are fantastic, and I love all the stuff you've mentioned there.  But -as you say - no one should ever be beyond question.  If you don't think something looks right, it's OK to say so.

1 minute ago, JoeP said:

You don't wait until they give something to worry about - you pre-empt it, before it becomes a bigger problem than in needs to be.  That's where we've gone wrong before.

The Rothwells are fantastic, and I love all the stuff you've mentioned there.  But -as you say - no one should ever be beyond question.  If you don't think something looks right, it's OK to say so.

I think we're probably making the same point. To clarify mine, we should always have our eyes open as a fan base and be vigilant. But should we be worried by what they're doing now? That was the initial question. I don't think we should be worried until we've got something to be worried about. Wary? Yes - always. 

To add to that, I see one of the roles of OASF to be having ongoing conversations with the club about budgets and overall financial health. It's not information that should be made public, but we should be confident that OASF are representing the fans and checking with the club on this.

10 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

You'd think we were giving out 50 grand a week contracts the way some of you are carrying on...

It's all relative.

How much do we reckon the likes of Nuttall, Shelton, Tollitt, Willoughby, Norman are on between them, I reckon there's about 500k+ a year right there in wages going down the grid as they are contributing absolutely nothing (that's without any transfer fees that may have been paid), it adds up to the best part of 2000 season tickets worth of budget down the pan. What's hard to stomach is two of those we've head hunted and gone out of our way to bring in and another two have had contract extensions relatively recently. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

It's all relative.

How much do we reckon the likes of Nuttall, Shelton, Tollitt, Willoughby, Norman are on between them, I reckon there's about 500k+ a year right there in wages going down the grid as they are contributing absolutely nothing (that's without any transfer fees that may have been paid), it adds up to the best part of 2000 season tickets worth of budget down the pan. What's hard to stomach is two of those we've head hunted and gone out of our way to bring in and another two have had contract extensions relatively recently. 

Show me a club in the world that gets every recruitment decision right.

5 minutes ago, Only Blue said:

Stay focussed people :)

Stop dwelling on past mistakes and get ready to rejoice in another signing that is better than what we have already got and so will improve the team again.

Have we any idea who it is yet? I’ve heard, Kanu, Dallas, Mcallum. All three,  Just Dallas, maybe mcallum , possibly both, just Kanu…  come on Latics spill the beans 

39 minutes ago, True Tic said:

Have we any idea who it is yet? I’ve heard, Kanu, Dallas, Mcallum. All three,  Just Dallas, maybe mcallum , possibly both, just Kanu…  come on Latics spill the beans 

All will be revealed soon.... or maybe not.

OAFC might just drag it out a little bit longer, say until tomorrow? .... haha!!!

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

I get that but hopefully we can learn from some of these mistakes as they are proving to be very expensive. 

I think we did that when we swapped DU for MM. Here's hoping anyway, the recruitment seems to be much better now, although of course it's very early days. 

1 hour ago, yarddog73 said:

It's all relative.

Time to resurrect the ‘B’ team and get them match fit and in some sort of ‘shop window’ I say…