The Next Oldham Manager

Nobody knows if ST wants the job, Whilst he has won 2 out of 2 convincingly i've been more impressed with how he has spoken and brought back players who were seemingly not in Unsworths plans. I'm sceptical about giving a caretaker the job based on a couple of results but if he does want the job he's certainly doing his chances no harm at the minute. I like the fact Murray and Redfearn are both involved and i really don't think there is any need to rush any appointment at the moment. Let's see where we are in another week or so but if results and performances continue to improve I wouldn't be against giving him the job initially to the end of the season and maybe reassess then.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wiseowl said:

To be fair, I suspect FR was (thankfully) influenced by fans' opinions regarding the sacking of DU. Fans aren't always right, of course, but what worried me was the number of supporters backing FR's initial stance of standing by his man. That position was foolhardy and probably influenced via some vested-interest views from the board.

Had we got rid of DU when we should have done (last season for me), I think we would have been pressing towards the top of the league with a regular 7,000 plus home support now. Unsworth held us back terribly - no doubt about that.

I think you're doing the board and it's motives a massive disservice here.

He had a bad start and a lot wanted rid at the end of 2022 as a result. But after Christmas we were one of the best teams in the division when it came to points and goals scored. That was enough justification for them to give him more time. Especially as they'd clearly invested in him.

Unsworth's failure came this season. Other than one great result and some decent performances the results weren't coming. Performances and results then got worse the longer it went. Mainly because despite a full pre season he didn't seem to know what players he should start or how they should play. It took 9 games for them to act. I don't think there's anything to criticise there.

• Like 3

No matter what the results are over the next few games I wouldn't want it to go to ST/PM. They already have important roles in the club and given their experience and higher levels they've already been at I'd rather them stay in those positions for some long term continuity. DoF for Redfearn too?!

In the mean time they are doing a great job of pointing the team in the right direction and getting them to play higher up the pitch with more attacking intent. So we're in a great position really to have people like that running the team whilst the board can conduct a thorough interview process.

• Like 1

I think the quality of applicants will ultimately dictate. 

If Clarke, Mellon, etc have applied and interview well there’s a case for giving them the gig. If they haven’t, and/or nobody sticks out at Interview then you turn to Thompson and Redders. 

It’s not as simple as, they’ve won a couple so give them a go. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nzlatic said:

No matter what the results are over the next few games I wouldn't want it to go to ST/PM. They already have important roles in the club and given their experience and higher levels they've already been at I'd rather them stay in those positions for some long term continuity. DoF for Redfearn too?!

In the mean time they are doing a great job of pointing the team in the right direction and getting them to play higher up the pitch with more attacking intent. So we're in a great position really to have people like that running the team whilst the board can conduct a thorough interview process.

This is an interesting comment.

You have stated what you don't want-then made a perfectly good case for giving them the job.

5 hours ago, wiseowl said:

(don't think you would have heard him slagging off Harry Vaughan publicly, for example, as DU did).

1 hour ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Simply not true. He pointed out he should have tracked back. I'm sure Vaughan didn't cry about it

Just for clarity. 

"Young Harry is a terrific player with the ball, but he needs to learn the game defensively and close the player down."

That was it. All he said. Embarrassing that you and others perpetuate this idea that Unsworth absolutely tore him a new one! Enough FACTUAL stuff to have a pop at, although he's gone so not sure why you're still crying over him

• Like 2

Just now, mcfluff1985 said:

Just for clarity. 

"Young Harry is a terrific player with the ball, but he needs to learn the game defensively and close the player down."

That was it. All he said. Embarrassing that you and others perpetuate this idea that Unsworth absolutely tore him a new one! Enough FACTUAL stuff to have a pop at, although he's gone so not sure why you're still crying over him

Unsy killed Vaughan. Harry turned down Manchester City development squad to get first team game time with us. He was technically our best player but Unsworth had no idea how to play him so gave him next to no game time. He played Benny Couto, yes the player who couldn’t catch at TNS, in central midfield before giving Vaughan his chance! 

Vaughan was too much of a “free spirit”for Unsy. He could have been an extremely valuable asset for us, now his development is in the hands of another club which will determine his value to us.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Unsy killed Vaughan. Harry turned down Manchester City development squad to get first team game time with us. He was technically our best player but Unsworth had no idea how to play him so gave him next to no game time. He played Benny Couto, yes the player who couldn’t catch at TNS, in central midfield before giving Vaughan his chance! 

Vaughan was too much of a “free spirit”for Unsy. He could have been an extremely valuable asset for us, now his development is in the hands of another club which will determine his value to us.

See that opinion is valid. All the shite about him hammering him post match is proper horseshit

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Simply not true. He pointed out he should have tracked back. I'm sure Vaughan didn't cry about it

I`ll concede "slagging off" was rather melodramatic. Poor form by a manager, though, to reference a perceived weakness (via the press) about a very talented young player. Good managers do those things in the dressing room or on the training pitch The last sentence says it all though really i.e. good manager -  DU never was one, in my opinion.

4 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

I`ll concede "slagging off" was rather melodramatic. Poor form by a manager, though, to reference a perceived weakness (via the press) about a very talented young player. Good managers do those things in the dressing room or on the training pitch The last sentence says it all though really i.e. good manager -  DU never was one, in my opinion.

Pep was actually having a pop at Haaland on the pitch the other week. I'll chalk him down as not a good manager

3 hours ago, nzlatic said:

I think you're doing the board and it's motives a massive disservice here.

He had a bad start and a lot wanted rid at the end of 2022 as a result. But after Christmas we were one of the best teams in the division when it came to points and goals scored. That was enough justification for them to give him more time. Especially as they'd clearly invested in him.

Unsworth's failure came this season. Other than one great result and some decent performances the results weren't coming. Performances and results then got worse the longer it went. Mainly because despite a full pre season he didn't seem to know what players he should start or how they should play. It took 9 games for them to act. I don't think there's anything to criticise there.

You hold a different view than me, nzlatic. I think the onus on any owner is to do the best for the club as a whole. That has now happened; just a matter of people's opinions on whether the timing was right or not. I have always maintained that anyone with a reasonable knowledge of football could see that DU was way out of his depth pretty early on. He's gone now - which is good and I trust that the next managerial appointment is made purely on objective merit, without the possibility of any personal friendships influencing proceedings.

42 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

See that opinion is valid. All the shite about him hammering him post match is proper horseshit

It is but then he never played another minute for the club again and was down the pecking order behind the likes of Chapman, Peck, Couto.... where are those three now then? Couto couldn't even catch in the Welsh League and is playing in front of 100 if your lucky at Ashton United, that was a sackable offence right there particularly when Vaughan was just the player we needed.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

It is but then he never played another minute for the club again and was down the pecking order behind the likes of Chapman, Peck, Couto.... where are those three now then? Couto couldn't even catch in the Welsh League and is playing in front of 100 if your lucky at Ashton United, that was a sackable offence right there particularly when Vaughan was just the player we needed.

Bur Vaughan got a move to a championship club so he didn't suffer...

30 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

You hold a different view than me, nzlatic. I think the onus on any owner is to do the best for the club as a whole. That has now happened; just a matter of people's opinions on whether the timing was right or not. I have always maintained that anyone with a reasonable knowledge of football could see that DU was way out of his depth pretty early on. He's gone now - which is good and I trust that the next managerial appointment is made purely on objective merit, without the possibility of any personal friendships influencing proceedings.

We will all hold different opinions on when we thought it right to sack him. No point going over all that ground again! I’m purely looking at whether the board should come under fire for not doing it earlier than they did. I think it’s harsh to criticise them for how they acted. They should be praised in my view, I think they did do what they thought was best for the club. 

I also don’t like the suggestion that there must have been something underhanded going on for them not to have fired him months ago. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, tGWB said:

Our supporters who 'Howl at the Moon' will be out in full force soon

2 Home Wins and 6pts against a bottom end of the table York City and Oxford City a recent addition to the National League 

Our next 3 games are against the current bottom 3 teams in the Form Table Kidderminster (A) Wealdstone (A)  Maidenhead (H), all winnable you would think

Steve Thompson has done a good job of stopping the rot and looks to be getting a tune out of the squad and the addition of Neil Redfearn should help keep the momentum going

For me, Frank and the Board need to complete the search for a new manager and not be taken in by what will be a noisy section of support to appoint Steve and / or Neil if we win the next three games

If after due process Steve Thompson / Neil Redfearn is the standout candidate then so be it 

If we win the 3 next games, that would mean they have won 5 out of 5 if that happens they should 💯be given the job. 

Edited by latics22
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, LightDN123 said:

thats the valid point Fluff probably already knows. it is a seperate point to wiseowl telling us how clever he is and raking a bit of muck to make himself feel good

10 hours ago, latics22 said:

If we win the 3 next games, that would mean they have won 5 out of 5 if that happens they should 💯be given the job. 

even if he hasnt applied and doesnt want it?

like when Peter Clarke said 'l want to carry on playing and then l do not want to coach' so your type of fan was like 'WE ONE HUNDRED NEED TO GIVE HIM A COACHING ROLL(sic)'

*rolls eyes*

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

various interviews and media outlets. lm suprised this would be news to anybody tbh.

Never heard this, not even on here. I know Harry went on a trial, that was common knowledge however never heard or read anywhere that Harry turned down joining there full time. Can anyone share the link to this?