The Next Oldham Manager

4 hours ago, yarddog73 said:

I'm not sure it's uncalled for, it's just my view and trust me it's not hysterics it's purely a balanced view.

On paper Raglan should have been one of the signings of the summer but he is now struggling to make the 16, is he better than Hogan - undoubtedly and for that reason he should start but if we are going to persist with a non league plodder what was the point?, Hogan, Sutton, Hobson, Mcghahey and even Sheron can all play there and the money wasted on that signing should of been used to strengthen other areas, if we had the budget for Raglan why didn't we give Yarney the few quid more he was asking for?, players shouldn't just fall in to our laps they should be brought in to fulfill a specific role, I get Norwood I'd class him as a marquee signing, Raglan on the other hand just baffles me and we very nearly lost Hobson before we started as a result of it which makes it look even more stupid after each passing game given there is only really him and Kitching you'd keep if you were building a team.

'we very nearly lost Hobson'   like l said weird hysterics and totally uncalled for. l don't just mean you making stuff up, lm counting booing our own players when we are unbeaten in five and writing the season off. its hysterical, weird and if you arent sure it's uncalled for then it paints you in a bad light.

6 hours ago, Monty Burns said:

'we very nearly lost Hobson'   like l said weird hysterics and totally uncalled for. l don't just mean you making stuff up, lm counting booing our own players when we are unbeaten in five and writing the season off. its hysterical, weird and if you arent sure it's uncalled for then it paints you in a bad light.

What's weird about that? You mean the best centrehalf on the books who was asked to play the whole of pre season at right back and then sat on the bench after Southend when he was one of the only players who turned up, it's a good job he is a strong character and it didn't affect his confidence because his treatment and the way he was managed was shabby.

For the rest of what you say what the fuck has my opinion got to do with the booing of players, it's you getting hysterical because I have a different opinion that might go against the grain, I wouldn't boo Shelton but I understand why he gets stick because we are shit when he is in the team, he should be pulled for his own good and protected but for whatever reason they keep wheeling him out.

As for writing the season off I'm not sure where I've said that, for what it's worth even with the deficiencies in the squad I still think we will finish 4th or 5th because this League is so poor and we do have the makings of a decent team, we are getting too far behind the top 3 but there's no reason why we can't get involved in the next little group and I'm confident we will if the new manager is given the 3 or 4 players he needs/wants.

Just because we are unbeaten in five doesn't mean we can't be critical, we have players not turning up at the minute and not even putting in the minimum, should we just clap them off because they've earned a big point against fucking Maidenhead at home and a lucky one at that?, it was dire Tuesday and it has been for the past 3 games against some poor opposition so some fans are bound to still question whether we are making any progress, it's called debate not weird hysteria.

13 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

What's weird about that? You mean the best centrehalf on the books who was asked to play the whole of pre season at right back and then sat on the bench after Southend when he was one of the only players who turned up, it's a good job he is a strong character and it didn't affect his confidence because his treatment and the way he was managed was shabby.

For the rest of what you say what the fuck has my opinion got to do with the booing of players, it's you getting hysterical because I have a different opinion that might go against the grain, I wouldn't boo Shelton but I understand why he gets stick because we are shit when he is in the team, he should be pulled for his own good and protected but for whatever reason they keep wheeling him out.

As for writing the season off I'm not sure where I've said that, for what it's worth even with the deficiencies in the squad I still think we will finish 4th or 5th because this League is so poor and we do have the makings of a decent team, we are getting too far behind the top 3 but there's no reason why we can't get involved in the next little group and I'm confident we will if the new manager is given the 3 or 4 players he needs/wants.

Just because we are unbeaten in five doesn't mean we can't be critical, we have players not turning up at the minute and not even putting in the minimum, should we just clap them off because they've earned a big point against fucking Maidenhead at home and a lucky one at that?, it was dire Tuesday and it has been for the past 3 games against some poor opposition so some fans are bound to still question whether we are making any progress, it's called debate not weird hysteria.

But saying we nearly lost Hobson because he played a bit part for a few weeks might be a bit over the top?

17 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

But saying we nearly lost Hobson because he played a bit part for a few weeks might be a bit over the top?

I dunno.  When he was effectively being a ball boy for the other players while they warmed up at half-time, he'd have been well within his rights to think "fuck this for a game of soldiers..."

22 minutes ago, JoeP said:

I dunno.  When he was effectively being a ball boy for the other players while they warmed up at half-time, he'd have been well within his rights to think "fuck this for a game of soldiers..."

He was probably thinking that he couldn't see Unsworth lasting long...

I wanted Clarke as I think he was the stand out candidate, Im still on the fence with ST but Tuesdays performance has nothing to do with that. Since he took the reins we have had back to back games with limited training so not a great deal of time to make a difference in that respect. There were several games under Rhino that we failed to score or create decent chances. This appeares to be 'fixed' and have scored in every game of his tenure. The smaller or part time teams seem to raise their game when they come to BP so the falicy that we should destroy them is just that .. a falicy. We have played plenty in the FA cup and struggled quite often. We do though look leggy after 60 mins and thats still concerning or are we slowing the game down deliberately to help Dickenson and Green. I thought Sutton had an excellent first half on Tuesday but he was still being targeted as the 'weakness' . Reid is doing well after not really getting a sniff and Norwood will bag as soon as we work out how we get the ball to him right (and he isnt dropping tp the half way line to get the ball). 

I wont pretend to know what the answer is but I think we could do worse than ST and could probablly do better. Those who predict we will make the play offs but wont win ??? could they tell me what fridays Euromillions numbers are ??. Were a couple of points off the top 7 and will be playing one or two this month.. win them it looks different  and will feel different to the players and supporters alike. Its a bit like if we win ST in  if we lose or draw the sky fall in and twitter and here do the best chicken little impressions ever. 

Ladt but by no means least ... leave it out with the booing for Shelton(nee Nuttall) FFS were all aware that he isnt the reincarnation of Jose or Byrne but he is a Latics player and shouldnt be booed on to a pitch before he kicks a ball. He scored a couple last season .... did you not cheer when it went in ? if you did, how dare you. 

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

I suppose you can read it how you want, is could of ruined him before he got started over the top as well?.

Yes, I think ruining a 25yo professional footballer with nearly 200 games under his belt by playing him out of position/leaving him out for a few games is probably a bit over the top as well.

Going against the grain a little bit here but I think a new manager needs to be appointed asap. At least then a new man will be able to get in the two or three players we urgently need. I'm sure all likely candidates including ST will know exactly what's needed. No more messing about.

Edited by redlion
comment added
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, samgoafc said:

Names of Sam Ricketts (ex Wrexham and a torrid spell at Shrewsbury), JFH, Damian Duff and Stephen Clemence onto the next stage on the hashtag this morning

None of them excite me tbh. I think i’d rather stick with ST over any of them. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

My Irish contacts say Duff is very highly thought of

He was the one I was more inclined to go for. 

Im just cautious about appointing someone with no experience in this league, as this season should not be an excuse for a “learning” period like Unsy had. Play off is a very realistic target. 

• Like 1

Is the lack of managers who'd excite us down to the division we're in? On the face of it, it's notoriously difficult to get out of and we're unlikely to be an attractive proposition to a moderately successful league manager, one would expect. I'd imagine a lot of the applicants are those who's lights have faded in recent years.

By the way, I wouldn't be too disappointed with JFH. He took Burton up and had them on top of League 1 by the following Autumn. Guided QPR to 12th after taking over them in crisis and left to join Northampton. Couldn't turn them round and his return to Burton saw a lot of the resources he had in his first spell taken away. I remember his Burton side was a decent footballing team and his style of football may sit better with our fanbase. Can understand why some would treat it as an underwhelming appointment but I think he'd be a decent candidate myself.