The Next Oldham Manager

I heard on Sunday evening that there is disagreement at board level - and possibly some friction. Didn't get the impression it was too dramatic but along the lines that there is/has been an agreement in place that "footballing decisions" would be made by "football people" and "business decisions" would be made by "business people".

Now normally, you'd say the appointment of a new manager would fall into the category of a "footballing decision" BUT when, as a business man, you've just had to throw away Lord knows how much money to pay off the previous manager and his sidekick (presumably appointed by the "football people"?) you can start to see how the lines become blurred and some friction might result.

It'll get sorted soon no doubt. People simply need to make the right decision for the good of the club's future success on the pitch.

With regards to the John Lowe story sacking frizz. I find that hard to believe as he had improved our league position each year. We were also still in the fa cup v Cambridge, which we won after3 games and played Burnley in the 4th round at home. 25,000 crowd.

I was at the chesterfield game and remember the groves miss. I was also at bristol r for the 2-1 win at Easter.

Happy days.

4 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Oldham Times latest article suggests this isn't true. Fingers crossed they're right and I'm not...

OT says the recent heavy fixture list has slowed the boards ability to appoint someone yet. Why? 

Are the board taking training sessions, discussing formations and tactics for our recent games?Absolute rubbish from D.R. must think we're born yesterday. Why not just say we've had a lot to think about and want to make the right choice? Why doesn't he just listen to the fans?Our footballing knowledge is more than his will ever be as shown by D.U's appointment and his continued support of DU when it was quite clear to us all that he hadn't a clue about being a manager.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

what was said is that we couldn't play backwards, which was true we all saw we would just aimlessly smack it forwards

Come on Monty, the consensus on this board was that DU was defensive minded. he held the side back with a handbrake.

When it's time to hold our hands up........hold um up!!

Edited by Lags

Just now, Monty Burns said:

what you on about?

youre misquoting Alex Reid so lm not having it.

No I am not. Where did he say we had to lump it forward?

There are 101 posts on here stating DU held this side back, was too defensive first and foremost.

3 minutes ago, Lags said:

No I am not. Where did he say we had to lump it forward?

There are 101 posts on here stating DU held this side back, was too defensive first and foremost.

Wow. 

Alex Reid said 'DU hated playing backwards'

l said 'you could see that by how people aimlessly whacked it forwards'

all good so far??

you came on here and out if context said 'Alex reid says DU wanted ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK' which is misquoting as proven by the incredulity of the first reply.

lve stepped in to stop that right there.

you did something very similar the other day with Harry Vaughan and in the past with Barry Owen. stop it.

6 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

Wow. 

Alex Reid said 'DU hated playing backwards'

l said 'you could see that by how people aimlessly whacked it forwards'

all good so far??

you came on here and out if context said 'Alex reid says DU wanted ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK' which is misquoting as proven by the incredulity of the first reply.

lve stepped in to stop that right there.

you did something very similar the other day with Harry Vaughan and in the past with Barry Owen. stop it.

He said DU's pet hate was playing backwards and ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK, his words not mine

Harry Vaughan and BO? are you sure? even if I did are you telling me what I can and can't post. Or is it a case of I'll bring BO up and everyone will lump on. This is about what Reid stated so stick to the subject Monty.

3 hours ago, wiseowl said:

I heard on Sunday evening that there is disagreement at board level - and possibly some friction. Didn't get the impression it was too dramatic but along the lines that there is/has been an agreement in place that "footballing decisions" would be made by "football people" and "business decisions" would be made by "business people".

Now normally, you'd say the appointment of a new manager would fall into the category of a "footballing decision" BUT when, as a business man, you've just had to throw away Lord knows how much money to pay off the previous manager and his sidekick (presumably appointed by the "football people"?) you can start to see how the lines become blurred and some friction might result.

It'll get sorted soon no doubt. People simply need to make the right decision for the good of the club's future success on the pitch.

I don’t think worry is the right word, because I know the Royle’s want the best for the club. But I do wonder how much control they want without putting a penny in. 

No offence to Darren, but there are thousands of well qualified people who can spend other people’s money. . . . I don’t mind him or Joe giving advice but ultimately the decision should rest with Frank/Sue/Luke. 

Otherwise it’s reducing the Rothwell’s to junior partners to the Royle’s. And while I love Joe, it’s not him that’s put circa 20 million into a non league club. 

Anyone else feel- the ‘Royle’s know best’? 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, diggleblue said:

Why doesn't he just listen to the fans?Our footballing knowledge is more than his will ever be as shown by D.U's appointment and his continued support of DU when it was quite clear to us all that he hadn't a clue about being a manager.

Have you ever heard of something called the Dunning Kruger effect

Dunning Kruger effect definition

13 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

Bit worrying if the best the 'football people' can come up with is Bunn, Bowyer, Mellon and Thompson...

Who was you expecting then Mourinho, Guardiola and Emery? I'm presuming you must be privy to whose actually applied then? Do you think we are too big for the likes of Bowyer and Mellon then?.

Stop being so entitled Rob.

27 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Who was you expecting then Mourinho, Guardiola and Emery? I'm presuming you must be privy to whose actually applied then? Do you think we are too big for the likes of Bowyer and Mellon then?.

Stop being so entitled Rob.

I was hoping for something a bit more fresh and exciting than that quartet Faz.

7 minutes ago, deyres42 said:

I was hoping for something a bit more fresh and exciting than that quartet Faz.

They're just names who stand out in that they're readily known. I bet if you did a straw poll with Latics fans, the majority wouldn't even be able to name most of the other managers in this division or lower.

As good as the setup and support is at our club, a manager with a successful record of promotions under his belt and out of work will likely be setting his sights higher than a division five club in a division that's notoriously difficult to get out of.

8 hours ago, League one forever said:

I don’t think worry is the right word, because I know the Royle’s want the best for the club. But I do wonder how much control they want without putting a penny in. 

No offence to Darren, but there are thousands of well qualified people who can spend other people’s money. . . . I don’t mind him or Joe giving advice but ultimately the decision should rest with Frank/Sue/Luke. 

Otherwise it’s reducing the Rothwell’s to junior partners to the Royle’s. And while I love Joe, it’s not him that’s put circa 20 million into a non league club. 

Anyone else feel- the ‘Royle’s know best’? 

There's no definitive proof of this but it's a sentiment I am beginning to share, we know the Chump was a Royle appointment and a disastrous one at that so I wouldn't be surprised if the owners took over responsibility for making these decisions and appointments based on more than who they are pals with.

Interestingly I listened to Joe pre match Dagenham and there was almost an arrogance about him and even dare I say it some bitterness around what's gone on, he doesn't seem comfortable that fans are voicing opinions and questioning the direction Darren was trying to take us which I find bizarre.

The way Darren comes across at times you'd think it was he who was funding the project but ultimately he works for the Rothwells and it is they who keep having to write the cheques if bad decisions continue to be being made, ultimately Darren is accountable to the board of directors and whilst a CEO should be trusted with ensuring we have the right people in the right places you can't help but think that 12 months in after the Unsworth debacle a very much hands on Rothwell family will want to have more of a say.

My final point on this is an interesting insight in to Frank, this man has built up a multi million pound business empire with the support of his wife and latterly his children so although they may lack some knowledge about the intricacies of running a football club they certainly know the time of day when it comes to building and growing a business, strategic planning and with that are probably confident and decisive leaders, now I appreciate they'll want to appear to take a back seat whilst they work out what's going on but I had a conversation with Frank with regards to business and one of his golden rules was that when he brings staff in to the business they bring in new faces to avoid cliques being formed as this can undermine the culture that exists and it's a rule I use myself when bringing new talent in to the business I work for, based on that the  Rothwell's may well want to go a bit more left field and bring someone in with a fresh approach, when Unsworth was here the dynamic was all wrong and we ended up with the tail wagging the dog and that cannot be allowed to happen again and for that reason I'd be more inclined to go for a new man who doesn't have an association with the club from years gone by or Darren and Joe Royle for that matter.

• Like 1

I would be on the phone to John Eustace's agent if I was DR, sell him the project, sell him the dream and the opportunity to turn this club around and get him soon as possible the way he has been treated at Birmingham has been disgraceful after what he achieved in his first season, staving of relegation with the all the off field issues that the club had at the time, and then the start that the club has made this season, In what is his first full time managerial position just shows what can be achieved with the right manager / head coach. 

It does also show that there is no loyalty in football, especially when it comes to management.