Interesting fact of the day!

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, jsslatic said:

On facts that may or may not be true - I am declaring us the first team to have ever scored four goals in a game under three different managers before the end of November.

That's one for the column in the Guardian which erroneously left us out of a list of teams to play all other 92. When we were actually the first to do it that season.

On 10/5/2023 at 8:15 PM, penrhyn said:

wow Paul Edwards , was a good player for us .

Another fun fact: Edwards scored 4 goals in his first 5 games for us in 1972 (playing at centre-back), then only managed 3 more in the other 103 appearances he made.

On 10/5/2023 at 7:54 PM, whittles left foot said:

Wasn't he partnered by Shaw born Paul Edwards when at United?

Edwards was mainly a reserve team player at Man Utd, but he did have a decent run for a few months in the first team at the end of the Busby era and during the brief reign of Wilf McGuinness circa 1969-70. And yes, Ian Ure was at United 1969-71, so he would have been partnered by Edwards for a fair bit of that period. If you watch some of those games closely, you can see why Edwards never quite made the grade in the top flight - he was good in the air and a decent tackler, but his positional play wasn't great and his distribution could be dreadful.

He dropped out of contention when O'Farrell became manager in 1971, and clearly had no place in Tommy Docherty's plans either, being sold to Latics soon after The Doc arrived at Old Trafford in 1972-73. As mentioned earlier, he had an excellent goalscoring record initially for us, and I have the feeling that he could have been converted into a serviceable centre-forward, as was also the case with Ian Wood.

Edited by Summerdeep

37 minutes ago, Summerdeep said:

Edwards was mainly a reserve team player at Man Utd, but he did have a decent run for a few months in the first team at the end of the Busby era and during the brief reign of Wilf McGuinness circa 1969-70. And yes, Ian Ure was at United 1969-71, so he would have been partnered by Edwards for a fair bit of that period. If you watch some of those games closely, you can see why Edwards never quite made the grade in the top flight - he was good in the air and a decent tackler, but his positional play wasn't great and his distribution could be dreadful.

He dropped out of contention when O'Farrell became manager in 1971, and clearly had no place in Tommy Docherty's plans either, being sold to Latics soon after The Doc arrived at Old Trafford in 1972-73. As mentioned earlier, he had an excellent goalscoring record initially for us, and I have the feeling that he could have been converted into a serviceable centre-forward, as was also the case with Ian Wood.

Ian Wood was the other way around, from centre forward to full back.

Yes, I know! Just making the point that he could play both as defender and attacker. Wood in fact played at centre-forward in the Latics tour of Greece in the early summer of 1973, and finished as our leading scorer with 3 of the 4 goals we got on that tour.

12 minutes ago, Summerdeep said:

Yes, I know! Just making the point that he could play both as defender and attacker. Wood in fact played at centre-forward in the Latics tour of Greece in the early summer of 1973, and finished as our leading scorer with 3 of the 4 goals we got on that tour.

Wow good memory mate I vaguely remember .

4 hours ago, Summerdeep said:

do we have a LaticsMind contender here?

I can tell you the registration of the 1973 Vanden Plas Princess

4 minutes ago, Monty Burns said:

l can tell you the registration of the bus that knocked my Grandads wingmirror off in 1987 if thats any use?

I can tell you the registration of the 1973 Vanden Plas Princess I owned in 1983 if you like - SPP 559M, Lol.

56 minutes ago, Summerdeep said:

I can tell you the registration of the 1973 Vanden Plas Princess

I can tell you the registration of the 1973 Vanden Plas Princess I owned in 1983 if you like - SPP 559M, Lol.

More or less proves my point !  😉

2281 TJ; NBU 129L; A934 NBU; MT04VDG......not sure about the current one !!!!   😄