MATCH: Rochdale (A) 21/10/23

20 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Can't make my mind up about Norwood. Either he is trying too hard or nothing quite works for him at the moment BUT then he scores a sublime finish.

Seems to be soo frustrated on the pitch sometimes-is it the standard of players around him, the style of play or with himself?

Mind you he should be frustrated after Lundstram refused that pass to him in the first half.

Oh and Hudson drives me crackers-how he got away without a booking yesterday for time wasting escapes me. Be interesting to see if Mellon tries to speed up the pace of play and ditch the long kicking.

Noticed this the last home match telling the fans to hang onto the ball to try to slow things down. It gives out the wrong signals and as witnessed yesterday doesn't kid some refs. 

As forecast previously the much vaunted "purge" on timewasting has subsided and we only get occasional bookings at lower level football and none whatsoever in the premier division just a prolonged match.

4 minutes ago, League one forever said:

That’s nonsense. 

The ‘trouble’ to begin with was at the Sandy lane, and that’s where the police were. It was only after the fourth goal that it kicked off at the other end. Then guess what- they moved to the other end to restore order. 

It’s almost as if, they’re moving about to restore order where it happens. 

I'm talking at the end of the game.  The Sandy Lane exits at the opposite end to the Wilbuts Lane, whereas The Peal Street and Wilbuts Lane exit together.  So it was obvious where trouble was going to be.  Obviously the old bill were on Sandy Lane 🙄

9 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Dear me - so now the police are actively getting fired up so they can seriously injure people. 

Or. 

They did their job to restore order, and unfortunately in a high pressure moment innocent people were hurt. 

They did a great job of that didn't they. It wasn't an accident, they charged through a large crowd of people. They knew they could potentially hurt people, but did it anyway. Cracking way to restore order that

3 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

😄 God forbid the Police have to do their jobs. Nah, probably better to just blindly charge through a bunch of innocent people instead

Christ, some people will just blindly support the police no matter what won't they? Even when they've seriously injured one of our own fans. Not a single one of the pricks checked if he was OK after they'd trampled over him by the way. Because they don't care

You don’t get it do you Guy. 

I couldn’t care less about defending police, there’s enough stories across society to know they are very far for perfect. 

But you just keep repeating yourself about innocent people- (which we are agreed on) without acknowledging the circumstances- which I can only assume is because you’re unwilling to give any balance or nuance to the situation. 

It’s just lazy blaming the police for everything. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

I couldn’t care less about defending police, there’s enough stories across society to know they are very far for perfect. 

But you just keep repeating yourself about innocent people- (which we are agreed on) without acknowledging the circumstances- which I can only assume is because you’re unwilling to give any balance or nuance to the situation. 

You said yourself you left early, so I don't know how you can have a true opinion tbh.

5 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

😄 God forbid the Police have to do their jobs. Nah, probably better to just blindly charge through a bunch of innocent people instead

OK, I've got it now - if the troublemakers hadn't been there, maybe you and O.A.F.C. think they would have charged through an innocent crowd anyway. Fired up, according to the pair of you, and relishing the chance to trample on a few people. What a ridiculous scenario. Or maybe you think the police should have stood to one side and said excuse me chaps would you yobs causing trouble mind awfully popping across to us so we can arrest you and eject you from the ground? That would have worked I'm sure.

This is typical blame anyone but the actual culprits thinking. "How dare the police and clubs not expect violence at the game", "you can't blame the yobs, what do you expect" etc. The police are damned if they don't forestall trouble, damned if they act to restore order. They can't win. It's pathetic. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, League one forever said:

I don't blame them for everything. Just for barging through a crowd with no care for the safety of the people they're supposed to be protecting 🤷‍♂️

44 minutes ago, O.A.F.C. said:

I'm talking at the end of the game.  The Sandy Lane exits at the opposite end to the Wilbuts Lane, whereas The Peal Street and Wilbuts Lane exit together.  So it was obvious where trouble was going to be.  Obviously the old bill were on Sandy Lane 🙄

Not only that, there was around 20 van loads parked up on Edenfield Road, so why couldn't they attend to the incident to prevent the charge from happening?

Edited by O.A.F.C.

1 hour ago, Monty Burns said:

anybody who blindly respcts and defends the police as an entity is totally detatched from reality. l had some good interactions with a few and saw two lve dated

even individual police officers do not respect the entity they serve. its full of good people but its riddled with evil. yes, Evil.

totally totally riddled. 

anybody blindly defending the police as an entity has never had a serious comvo with more than ten serving officers.

riddled.

Nobody is saying that. Was it the police who went to the game and planned to cause trouble, or was it cretinous Oldham and Rochdale "fans" ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

OK, I've got it now - if the troublemakers hadn't been there, maybe you and O.A.F.C. think they would have charged through an innocent crowd anyway. Fired up, according to the pair of you, and relishing the chance to trample on a few people. What a ridiculous scenario. Or maybe you think the police should have stood to one side and said excuse me chaps would you yobs causing trouble mind awfully popping across to us so we can arrest you and eject you from the ground? That would have worked I'm sure.

This is typical blame anyone but the actual culprits thinking. "How dare the police and clubs not expect violence at the game", "you can't blame the yobs, what do you expect" etc. The police are damned if they don't forestall trouble, damned if they act to restore order. They can't win. It's pathetic. 

What do you reckon is better, this or charging through a crowd and seriously injuring people? I'll let you have a think.

This wasn't in the ground either so not sure who'd they be ejecting?

And I am blaming the culprits. I only saw one person get seriously injured yesterday with my own eyes. Guess who by?

Edited by Guy Branston Pickle

5 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Yes.  I blame the police for not preventing trouble from happening.  Nowt to do with the way people behaved.  It was preventable. 

Just now, Guy Branston Pickle said:

They did a great job of that didn't they. It wasn't an accident, they charged through a large crowd of people. They knew they could potentially hurt people, but did it anyway. Cracking way to restore order that

Right, so you tell me. 

How on the earth do you want to restore in order in that situation? 
When you’ve got little pockets of dicks, and no way of identifying and pulling them safely in the moment. 

And don’t say - it’s not my job. Because you’re insistent that it’s completely wrong to do it. So you must have a view on how should they have gone about it? 

Just now, O.A.F.C. said:

Yes.  I blame the police for not preventing trouble from happening.  Nowt to do with the way people behaved.  It was preventable. 

There was more police there than people who was after trouble and they still failed 

Just now, League one forever said:

Right, so you tell me. 

When you’ve got little pockets of dicks, and no way of identifying and pulling them safely in the moment. 

And don’t say - it’s not my job. Because you’re insistent that it’s completely wrong to do it. So you must have a view on how should they have gone about it? 

Surely they would have had some training for these situations??

1 minute ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

What do you reckon is better, this or charging through a crowd and seriously injuring people? I'll let you have a think.

I think you're the one who needs to have a think. Maybe you should write to GMP and suggest that as their future strategy for dealing with crowd trouble. Good luck.

Just now, League one forever said:

Right, so you tell me. 

Communicate. Tell people you're coming through instead of just fucking barging into them like a stampede of elephants. I'm really not asking much, I'm asking for the Police not to risk the health of innocent people. I can't believe this is a controversial opinion

9 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

I think you're the one who needs to have a think. Maybe you should write to GMP and suggest that as their future strategy for dealing with crowd trouble. Good luck.

I've put a complaint in about their officers seriously injuring one of our supporters, but thanks for your advice. 

Edited by Guy Branston Pickle
Edited to remove the needless dig. Apologies
  • Like 2

Just now, Worcester Owl said:

And there you have it. Total refusal to recognise personal accountability.

Like I keep repeating it was a high risk game, people expected trouble. It was no surprise there was trouble. But the police failed.  

Communicate. Tell people you're coming through instead of just fucking barging into them like a stampede of elephants. I'm really not asking much, I'm asking for the Police not to risk the health of innocent people. I can't believe this is a controversial opinion

That’s fair, and could and should have happened. 

Nice to see you have no concern whatsoever for the poor man who was trampled

Cheap shot, not one single person has said or implied that. 

2 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I've put a complaint in about their officers seriously injuring one of our supporters, but thanks for your advice. Nice to see you have no concern whatsoever for the poor man who was trampled

It's disgusting really.  

To be perfectly honest I've seen bigger brawls in a small pub. In true oldham fans style we over react about a society issue and call our own fans being the worst in football. Oldham fans are nowhere near the worst. 

Also if people don't think some police officers opt for the riot squad to be licensed thugs they think wrong. 

Let's move on,  it's certainly worse out there. 

• Like 4