MATCH: Newport County (A) 04/11/23 - FA Cup 1st round 🏆

Same old same old pattern. We go shite , then get a couple of draws, couple of wins , go shite again, then repeat the cycle. We aren’t good enough . Next few results will probably be a win , draw lose scenario again. We have a couple of decent players but not enough to break that cycle. I don’t expect anyone coming in player wise. What I do expect from MM is a bit more of a resolute mindset which may have us just missing out on the playoffs but that ms about it. Very negative I know but can’t see owt else at the moment. 

2 hours ago, Andy Barlow’s dietician said:

This is a fair assessment.

Overall it was just flat and disappointing. Newport didn’t look much of a team and didn’t really threaten us, although McLaughlin took both of his goals well.

The early sub was a good decision from MM and we were better thereafter, until they got the 2nd goal.

What we seem to lack is composure and decision making when in possession, and players who can carry the ball. In that respect I was disappointed in both Lundstram and Freeman, the former never looked to make an incisive pass and seemed hurried and uncomfortable on the ball and the latter never wanted to carry the ball. Instead he played long and didn’t seem to get high enough up the pitch to help Hope.

I mention those two because I hadn’t seen either previously and hoped they may add a bit of quality in possession. Yesterday they did not.

That better calibre and choice of pass is what we need to get us into better positions on the pitch, which in turn will improve Norwood. We have to get the ball to his feet, or allow him to play on the shoulder of the centre half, and get in behind (that great chance in the 2nd half illustrates this, the ball went into the pocket behind the defender,  he got there first and we were in).

Our current style is to try and hit him long or simply ignore him short in preference for a pass to the centre half or a misplaced ‘switch’ wide.

In Norwood and Hobson we have two players of real quality, but I am not sure we have anyone else who would be a regular in a top of the table side. The squad is OK but lacks wide options and midfield creativity, this is something we have all known since the start of the season.

Gardener would solve the creativity problem, but sadly can’t be relied upon (even in ten minutes yesterday the difference he brings to the team could be seen - he carried the ball and passed it forwards), only Green offers pace and width, but I am not convinced at all by him.

I think the squad is top half, but miles away from top 5 levels, and it will take some good fortune with injuries and a couple for players to hit unexpected levels of performance (hot goal streak from Reid or something like that) for us to scrape into the playoffs.

The manager’s hands are probably tied with recruitment as there is a sense that players have contracts that don’t give them much of an incentive to leave (thinking Tollit, Shelton, Nutall, Dickinson, Fondop etc). It’s not really possible therefore to just ship 5 out and bring 3 quality players in.

So aside maybe from a loan or two we are stuck with this lot for the season (cheers Dave). MM has therefore got a tough job to win over an (understandably) impatient and frustrated fan base.

An excellent assessment….I didn’t go but didn’t need to because I have seen the same game so so many times!

We have to be realistic, we’re just not very good. The only way we’ll improve is by getting better players.

Micky Mellon or anybody else for that matter is not going to be able to get the necessary improvements we need from this current squad of players!

Edited by oafc1955

6 minutes ago, League one forever said:

The players are capable- their pedigree tells you that. 

But they do seem to lack desire and application- to many sat on fat contracts thinking it’s easy Street. 

Maybe the standard in this league has improved…the fact that Reid, Rooney, and Hogan were surplus to requirements at their respective clubs tells a story?

36 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Maybe the standard in this league has improved…the fact that Reid, Rooney, and Hogan were surplus to requirements at their respective clubs tells a story?

Neither Hogan nor Reid were ‘surplus to requirements’ and Rooney was just a difficult and disruptive individual to manage by all accounts. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

You’ve literally just made that up. That wasn’t the case for any of them. 

Neither was it for-

Kitching

Raglan

Ward

Lundy

Kurt

Nuttal

Hobson

Shelton

Green. 

20 minutes ago, League one forever said:

You’ve literally just made that up. That wasn’t the case for any of them. 

Neither was it for-

Kitching

Raglan

Ward

Lundy

Kurt

Nuttal

Hobson

Shelton

Green. 

I’ve not made anything up…

Hogan & Reid weren’t wanted by Stockport after their promotion back to League 2 and Pete Wild newly in at Barrow couldn’t get rid of Rooney quick enough!

I never mentioned the others!

15 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I’ve not made anything up…

Hogan & Reid weren’t wanted by Stockport after their promotion back to League 2 and Pete Wild newly in at Barrow couldn’t get rid of Rooney quick enough!

I never mentioned the others!

You constantly tell us non of the players are good enough. Yet the vast majority have either had promotion from the league or played higher. Added to that, is the number of players who had offers to stay or other clubs interested but chose us. 

Ability wise there’s more than enough in the squad- but to many are in the comfort zone picking up good money. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

You saying Stockport wanted to keep Hogan & Reid?

Hogan left them after captaining the team to the National League title.  We came in with a very good offer - he told Stockport he wanted to leave and he signed for us when his contract at Stockport was up.

Reid was released so was surplus to requirements 👍

14 minutes ago, League one forever said:

You constantly tell us non of the players are good enough.

Never said that either!

We have a sprinkling of quality but I maintain the majority aren’t good enough.

19 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Ability wise there’s more than enough in the squad

Not seen much to support that statement!

20 minutes ago, League one forever said:

to many are in the comfort zone picking up good money. 

That’s one thing we agree on!😆

5 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Hogan left them after captaining the team to the National League title.  We came in with a very good offer - he told Stockport he wanted to leave and he signed for us when his contract at Stockport was up.

Reid was released so was surplus to requirements 👍

If Stockport had wanted him enough he wouldn’t be here.

1 hour ago, LaticsLegend said:

We don't have anyone who can dictate a game from the middle, nor do we have anyone who can run at a full back or anyone who can cross a ball.

Without at least two of those, we're always going to make hard work of games.

I think he needs to dip into the loan market.

We've got people who can cross. We do need someone on the left to partner Kitching though. 

4 minutes ago, TheBigDog said:

Which bit of ‘he wanted to leave’ do you not quite understand? 

You’ve just captained your side to the NL title and achieved promotion to the football league, and you then want to leave the club.

Yes, I find it hard to understand!!

Don’t believe everything you read.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whittles left foot said:

This is a proper football cliche/trope-generally gets wheeled out when a team isn't performing. It is impossible to prove.

Yeah I’m not sure where this notion of them all being on massive contracts has come from. Other than Norwood I can’t think of a single member of the squad that would have needed big money throwing at him to persuade him to sign. 

8 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Yeah I’m not sure where this notion of them all being on massive contracts has come from. Other than Norwood I can’t think of a single member of the squad that would have needed big money throwing at him to persuade him to sign. 

Nuttall for one!

• Like 1