MATCH: Newport County (A) 04/11/23 - FA Cup 1st round 🏆

5 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Yeah I’m not sure where this notion of them all being on massive contracts has come from. Other than Norwood I can’t think of a single member of the squad that would have needed big money throwing at him to persuade him to sign. 

Raglan

Kurt

Nuttall

To name 3. 

We made an unbelievable offer to Dallas, who turned us down. 

We have a top two gate, and Franks backing-  it’s pretty obvious money is being thrown at it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, League one forever said:

And that would have probably been another waste of money…think we dodged a bullet there!

Unsworth certainly had an eye for a talented player didn’t he?😂

3 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

You’ve just captained your side to the NL title and achieved promotion to the football league, and you then want to leave the club.

Yes, I find it hard to understand!!

Don’t believe everything you read.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Hogan was no longer getting into the team at Stockport by the end of his time there. As they were going up a level and were spending money on strengthening the team I think he knew it was time for him to move on.

That said I'm not that worried about his current contribution to this team I think we have other areas notably the middle of the pitch that need to be evolved.

Edited by GlossopLatic

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

You’ve just captained your side to the NL title and achieved promotion to the football league, and you then want to leave the club.

Yes, I find it hard to understand!!

Don’t believe everything you read.

Stockport fans all say he wouldn't have been good enough for League 2 and they were looking to strengthen. He wanted regular football. Not that hard to believe

4 hours ago, LaticsLegend said:

We don't have anyone who can dictate a game from the middle, nor do we have anyone who can run at a full back or anyone who can cross a ball.

Without at least two of those, we're always going to make hard work of games.

I think he needs to dip into the loan market.

Let's be honest we had the likes of Banks and Garrity, who most on here thought were shit and couldn't wait to get rid of.

We would be pissing it in this league with those 2 in the middle.

My personal view was we should never have let Banks go as I always saw him as player who could create , but I slagged Garrity off with the rest when he was here and I'd imagine he will end up in the Championship at some point!

....And Vaughan is another story!! 

Edited by Londonboy

58 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

Stockport fans all say he wouldn't have been good enough for League 2 and they were looking to strengthen. He wanted regular football. Not that hard to believe

So that kinda backs up what I said in that he was surplus to requirements!

Unsworth said it was his intention to sign players capable of stepping up a division. That went well!😆

Like I said the standard of teams in this division has probably improved substantially over the last season or two….Would you want him to be captaining the side next season?

If our aim is promotion I wouldn’t want him in the team at all!

1 hour ago, League one forever said:

Raglan

Kurt

Nuttall

To name 3. 

We have a top two gate, and Franks backing-  it’s pretty obvious money is being thrown at it.

Will give you Raglan, he’s dropped a couple of divisions. But I’d be surprised if we had to throw a load of cash at Willoughby seeing as he was in the league below. 

Nuttall is just people making assumptions because it took a while to go through. He was at Scunthorpe so I’m not convinced he needed overpaying to sign. 

And I wasn’t saying money wasn’t being spent. We’ve got a big squad. All I was saying is that I don’t buy it that we’ve got a load of players on big fat contracts who are sitting back and taking the cash and putting no effort in. 

3 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

So that kinda backs up what I said in that he was surplus to requirements!

Unsworth said it was his intention to sign players capable of stepping up a division. That went well!😆

Like I said the standard of teams in this division has probably improved substantially over the last season or two….Would you want him to be captaining the side next season?

If our aim is promotion I wouldn’t want him in the team at all!

I didn't read the full thread in fairness, missed your point. I'd rather see Raglan get a run but I think Hogan has been fine this season tbh, far from our biggest concern 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Guy Branston Pickle said:

I didn't read the full thread in fairness, missed your point. I'd rather see Raglan get a run but I think Hogan has been fine this season tbh, far from our biggest concern 

Absolutely….he gives 100% every match and cannot be faulted for effort. If all our players had his attitude we wouldn’t go far wrong, however, if we want to progress, IMO I think we need better.

Its a bit of a mystery why Raglan isn’t catching, maybe it’s a fitness issue?

1 minute ago, nzlatic said:

All I was saying is that I don’t buy it that we’ve got a load of players on big fat contracts who are sitting back and taking the cash and putting no effort in. 

Mellon is their 3 manager and in his first four games, we’ve had two non performances. That says a lot about them.

The majority have played higher or won promotion - so they’ve shown previously they have a consistency of performance. Yet, they can’t do it here?? Why aren’t they hungry? Why are other sides applying themselves a lot better? In my view it’s because quite a few are in a comfort zone and seem happy to just pick up their sizeable wage

10 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

But I’d be surprised if we had to throw a load of cash at Willoughby seeing as he was in the league below. 

The club said we beat  ‘a host of clubs’ to his signature- which means his agent will have played other offers off against ours. No one pays a prolific goal scorer peanuts. 

14 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Nuttall is just people making assumptions because it took a while to go through. He was at Scunthorpe so I’m not convinced he needed overpaying to sign.

He couldn’t agree terms at first and the deal went quiet, we then offered more and it was back on. . . 

3 hours ago, True Tic said:

Did you go to fylde ? 

No but I watched it on TV. Did you go to Rochdale? Alty at home wasn't bad either.

3 hours ago, League one forever said:

Their ability to turn up one week and not the next suggests otherwise. 

How does that suggest otherwise? 

Not been paid this week lads because you are paid monthly, don't worry pay day is in 2 weeks time so expect a good performance then.

3 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

Not been paid this week lads because you are paid monthly, don't worry pay day is in 2 weeks time so expect a good performance then.

You’ve lost me there. 😂

They perform one week, then go missing the next. 

Why is that happening? Especially under a new manager with 5 promotions. . 

You’d like to think they would be busting a gut to impress and implement what he wants- (because maybe he knows what he’s talking about)  but in two of the four performances they can’t pass, get out worked, concede soft goals, and miss chances. 

To many are in the comfort zone in my view, and aren’t getting the best out of themselves. Their inconsistent performances tell you that. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Mellon is their 3 manager and in his first four games, we’ve had two non performances. That says a lot about them.

The majority have played higher or won promotion - so they’ve shown previously they have a consistency of performance. Yet, they can’t do it here?? Why aren’t they hungry? Why are other sides applying themselves a lot better? In my view it’s because quite a few are in a comfort zone and seem happy to just pick up their sizeable wage

The club said we beat  ‘a host of clubs’ to his signature- which means his agent will have played other offers off against ours. No one pays a prolific goal scorer peanuts. 

He couldn’t agree terms at first and the deal went quiet, we then offered more and it was back on. . . 

Something is wrong I totally agree with you. I’d just be surprised if such a high number of the squad are being paid such massive amounts that they’re willing to put the rest of their careers at risk by repeatedly downing tools for the duration of this contract. 

I don’t know what the answer is but with Mellon we’ve got the guy who literally wrote the book on what to do in your first 100 days. 

My prediction is that performances will be vastly improved over the next few weeks and we’ll see a more settled formation and maybe a key addition or 2 to get us playing well more consistently. I think Mellon is taking his time and having a good look at everyone. I don’t think he’ll be doing as some want (not talking about you here!) and sacking half the squad and filling the team with youth players and loanees.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Hogan left them after captaining the team to the National League title.  We came in with a very good offer - he told Stockport he wanted to leave and he signed for us when his contract at Stockport was up.

Reid was released so was surplus to requirements 👍

I hardly think we came in with an offer Stockport couldn't match. Hogan was signed by Sheridan under Abdallah so I don't believe he was throwing massive amounts at him considering he was trying to sell the club. Hogan was surplus to requirements at Stockport and wasn't getting in the side.

I’m a great believer in the individual character of players but there is also something else about how a group of players becomes a team..and often the manager is the key.

Take Pidge for example, Salford got rid of him because they felt they needed more quality to get them promoted from L2….so he comes to Latics, a struggling lower mid table team, he does well for us but we still get relegated…he goes to minnows and fellow L2 strugglers Stevenage….and promptly helps them to automatic promotion!

So was G.Neville wrong given Salford are still in L2 and Stevenage are promotion contenders in L1 now? Or, is the Stevenage manager simply able to organise and motivate a group of players and turn them into a winning team?

2 hours ago, whittles left foot said:

No but I watched it on TV. Did you go to Rochdale? Alty at home wasn't bad either.

Bromley or Southend?

9 hours ago, Ritchierich said:

I’m a great believer in the individual character of players but there is also something else about how a group of players becomes a team..and often the manager is the key.

Take Pidge for example, Salford got rid of him because they felt they needed more quality to get them promoted from L2….so he comes to Latics, a struggling lower mid table team, he does well for us but we still get relegated…he goes to minnows and fellow L2 strugglers Stevenage….and promptly helps them to automatic promotion!

So was G.Neville wrong given Salford are still in L2 and Stevenage are promotion contenders in L1 now? Or, is the Stevenage manager simply able to organise and motivate a group of players and turn them into a winning team?

Exactly. If we compared the individuals in our squad to Barnet and Bromley for example would we say their players are vastly superior? Doubtful.