MATCH: Newport County (A) 04/11/23 - FA Cup 1st round 🏆

10 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

And who are the runners?

It’s not simply about meters run is it? It’s about wanting to get involved, even when the fatigue is kicking in.

Eg If a ball breaks free, the person who reacts immediately, (because he really wants the ball) is going to be “running” and we will see that. He also is likely to get there. The player who hesitates ( “maybe someone else is nearer or will go, oh no it’s me, I better go”) is to late, or at best a yard behind.

The manager has to work out how to get players wanting to be involved as much as poss.

• Like 2

One of Melon's biggest problems is getting players to take the ball on the half turn thus looking to take on the opposition instead of facing our goalie or the team mate who's just passed to him. I'm not sure whether this was due to previous coaching or just taking the easy options.

It makes me laugh when posters castigate the "get it forward" brigade when all most of them want is to turn, or even look, forward and get at the opposition. 

I'm pretty confident Melon is assessing the team, and it's lack of invention, and take the necessary steps to remedy the problem and could rescue the situation and make the play-offs this season. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, wiseowl said:

From memory, after the defeat at Fylde, MM was lamenting that we lacked "running" in the team and after Saturday's defeat, we couldn't "pass the ball". That augurs well for the future doesn't it!

I think we, the fans, have known these characteristics for a good while. The personnel has changed quite a bit but unfortunately the problems still remain.

12 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

I think we, the fans, have known these characteristics for a good while. The personnel has changed quite a bit but unfortunately the problems still remain.

Do we question whether or not the Academy is serving its purpose? Why do hardly any make it through to the first team?

1 hour ago, wiseowl said:

From memory, after the defeat at Fylde, MM was lamenting that we lacked "running" in the team and after Saturday's defeat, we couldn't "pass the ball". That augurs well for the future doesn't it!

You will be shot down like me for saying the same.

It appears any observations on the new manager isn't allowed. 

47 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

You will be shot down like me for saying the same.

It appears any observations on the new manager isn't allowed. 

I think he’s referring to the standard of the players rather than the manager.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, deyres42 said:

Do we question whether or not the Academy is serving its purpose? Why do hardly any make it through to the first team?

Do you not think that after the turmoil of the past few years we are doing well to have a functioning academy?

These things take time to set up correctly with the right type of coaching and facilities with support from the ownership, it is not just a case of click your fingers and here's a player for the first team.

6 hours ago, wiseowl said:

The first step of solving any problem is acknowledging that you have one. Mellon has only been here a couple of weeks that's as far as he could be expected to get with it.

Solving it isn't going to be easy but it will be solvable if we can wheel and deal abit.

1 hour ago, whittles left foot said:

Do you not think that after the turmoil of the past few years we are doing well to have a functioning academy?

These things take time to set up correctly with the right type of coaching and facilities with support from the ownership, it is not just a case of click your fingers and here's a player for the first team.

A fair point.

• Matt unfeatured this topic