MATCH: Newport County (A) 04/11/23 - FA Cup 1st round 🏆

1 minute ago, BP1960 said:

Well any manager worth his salt should find at least 4 better players immediately.

Let's see if he does.

Don’t think it’s as simple as that BP, Unsworth spent all the money.  MM has probably been told to manage with what he has been left with.

He can’t offload.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, frizzell54 said:

Don’t think it’s as simple as that BP, Unsworth spent all the money.  MM has probably been told to manage with what he has been left with.

He can’t offload.

Loanees aren't expensive, there's many available far better than this lot.

Edited by BP1960

Mellon certainly didn’t sound as though he was about to rush into the transfer market in his opening statement on joining the club. I’d like to think he is giving as many as possible a fair go under his management. A reasonable tactic in my view.

He will now have a much better understanding of where we are most vulnerable and thoughts on replacements. He’s doing ok with what we know to be, for the most part, pretty poor acquisitions by others.  Top 7 is still achievable for some time to come.

Patience! We are well trained and have no alternatives.   

• Like 3

Has

1 minute ago, frizzell54 said:

He can’t offload.

We need to be patient (how many times have we been told that) but I wonder what his plan is with these. He’s been brought in to get us promoted and I’d love to see his plans and timelines for it. 

It’s a massive shame but I think we are in a bit of a mess here, not catastrophic like it was under Blitz, BO and the Lemmies or with DU holding the reins but we have a completely unbalanced squad packed full of weak minded players..proper modern “snowflake generation” characters who are not going to battle their way out of this division.

The problem is many of them are on multi year deals and some no doubt on decent money….Frank has funded this and much of his money has been wasted or is tied up in medium term contracts.

It will take some time to unwind and shape a (hopefully smaller) squad that has the required ability, balance and determination to achieve something for this club.

It will be a miracle if Melon can do it this season 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Well any manager worth his salt should find at least 4 better players immediately.

Let's see if he does.

Dipping into this bottomless pot of money again that you seem to think exists at Boundary Park?

Even signing loanees means you are paying good money out to players who are not being picked.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, mikeroyboy said:

Mellon certainly didn’t sound as though he was about to rush into the transfer market in his opening statement on joining the club. I’d like to think he is giving as many as possible a fair go under his management. A reasonable tactic in my view.

He will now have a much better understanding of where we are most vulnerable and thoughts on replacements. He’s doing ok with what we know to be, for the most part, pretty poor acquisitions by others.  Top 7 is still achievable for some time to come.

Patience! We are well trained and have no alternatives.   

Lost a lot a credibility with me starting Nuttall and Dickenson who he must have known shouldn't have even been considered.

I'd sooner play 17yo Alfie Atherton on the wing than any of this bunch.

Bedides bags of ability at least he shows some dynamism. 

Wouldn't surprise me though if he's never even trained with the first team.

Rochdale played a 17yo against us who looks a great prospect.

Edited by BP1960

It’s all down to poor recruitment from the Unsworth era.

He said all his signings would improve the squad and be capable of playing in the league…what a load of bollocks that was!!!

The vast majority of his signings with the exception of a handful appear to have been panic buys with absolutely no forward thinking whatsoever.

How many of our squad could make the step up to Division 2.

Norwood, Hobson, Freeman Lundstram and maybe Raglan but that would be solely on reputation as we’ve not seen too much of him to date……after that you’re struggling.

Never mind tweaking…..This squad, without further additions, is miles off where we want it to be and unfortunately I can only see yet another frustrating season of transition.

Edited by oafc1955
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Lost a lot a credibility with me starting Nuttall and Dickenson who he must have known shouldn't have even been considered.

Rochdale played a 17yo against who looks a great prospect.

Why not play Fondop.He scored twice last time we played there and was immense. I feel he is seeing just how poor we really are with several players.

42 minutes ago, mcfluff1985 said:

Again, only one to test the keeper

Do we ignore the rest of his overall performance today on that basis? The bloke has no desire and shouldn’t be anywhere near this side. 
Plenty of others need to look at themselves also!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Flemboy said:

Why not play Fondop.He scored twice last time we played there and was immense. I feel he is seeing just how poor we really are with several players.

He’s seen them all do well in training just like Unsworth used to say. Unfortunately, what happens in training can be poles apart from the reality of a competitive game.

Technically we have some really poor players and when we also take into account a weak mindset it’s fairly easy to understand why we don’t win too many football matches.

There’s still 6 months until the playoffs and if Frank can back the manager in the transfer market all is not lost.

Although unlikely, it is possible that we could make the top seven with our current squad, however, there isn’t a cat in hells chance of securing promotion!

6 minutes ago, daniel said:

Do we ignore the rest of his overall performance today on that basis? The bloke has no desire and shouldn’t be anywhere near this side. 
Plenty of others need to look at themselves also!

Did you witness the display of Nuttall and the team 1st hand Daniel?

5 minutes ago, oafc1955 said:

Did you witness the display of Nuttall and the team 1st hand Daniel?

Indeed. Currently on the M5 on the way home. We were very very poor today, and to be fair, so were Newport. Dreadful game.

One of the bigger frustrations for me is that it feels like we're playing out the same game on repeat. Regardless of your opinions on Norwood or Nuttall, the idea that there's enough pace in that partnership to benefit either member of it is laughable. If we're going to play a two, let's have some variation that stretches teams and causes problems. It's the same sort of thing that means we all know that Sheron and Shelton as a central duo didn't work, yet we've had to bear witness to them in a competitive fixture.

There are hours of footage of these ailments in different in-game scenarios that the coaching team could have spent time observing rather than wasting games with. Not particularly arsed about the result today but it was a decent opportunity to rotate and test out different combinations in our bloated-for-the-level squad and instead we get the standard Latics turn up and die.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

As usual managed to turn the discussion into why aren't we playing youngsters-sorry 'my youngster'?

That 17yr old you keep harping on about had nothing to mark for most of the game as we only played Norwood up front-I would have looked good strolling around and trying to play hollywood passes when nobody tries to close you down. Remind me, how many goals did Rochdale ship that day?

5 minutes ago, Gentleman said:

One of the bigger frustrations for me is that it feels like we're playing out the same game on repeat. Regardless of your opinions on Norwood or Nuttall, the idea that there's enough pace in that partnership to benefit either member of it is laughable. If we're going to play a two, let's have some variation that stretches teams and causes problems. It's the same sort of thing that means we all know that Sheron and Shelton as a central duo didn't work, yet we've had to bear witness to them in a competitive fixture.

There are hours of footage of these ailments in different in-game scenarios that the coaching team could have spent time observing rather than wasting games with. Not particularly arsed about the result today but it was a decent opportunity to rotate and test out different combinations in our bloated-for-the-level squad and instead we get the standard Latics turn up and die.

Yep, sums it up for me. It’s going to take some real character and consistency to get us up and out of this league and I’m pretty sure we still don’t have enough of those ingredients in this squad. Seen all of them have the odd decent game but Overall these have been mainly overshadowed with poor performances , low confidence and naivety on the field. 

8 minutes ago, whittles left foot said:

As usual managed to turn the discussion into why aren't we playing youngsters-sorry 'my youngster'?

That 17yr old you keep harping on about had nothing to mark for most of the game as we only played Norwood up front-I would have looked good strolling around and trying to play hollywood passes when nobody tries to close you down. Remind me, how many goals did Rochdale ship that day?

I know what I see.

That lad will move much higher before too long.

Carry on with this weak slow lot and we will just decline and the manager given the same stick as Unsworth.

If it lifted your heart seeing Nuttall and Dickensen start please tell me why.

Edited by BP1960

51 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Come on, BP. We lost and like you I'm very disappointed, but we were playing away against a team a division higher.

I repeat, MM is 4 games into his time with us. 4 games!! If he picks particular players game after game who literally don't make any impact on the game, fair enough, you can then question his judgement. You can't seriously question him so early in his tenure.

If you'd been in charge at United when Ferguson was struggling, in his fourth season with them, he'd have had no chance!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Let's see if he does.

There's a bit of a problem there, BP (from what I hear). Under the new owner it was apparently agreed that "football people" would look after the football side of things. The infrastructure created around that is expensive. The "football people" chose DU et al - a very expensive lesson and the club stagnated during DU's tenure on the playing side.

Money is pouring out of the door - something needs to change to balance the books (a cup run would have been nice!). So, unless players are leaving, there won't be much room for manouevre.

FR is our saviour, no doubt - it's the "football people" that have massive question marks over them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I know what I see.

That lad will move much higher before too long.

Carry on with this weak slow lot and we will just decline and the manager given the same stick as Unsworth.

If it lifted your heart seeing Nuttall and Dickensen start please tell me why.

What’s the problem with Dickenson out of interest ?