MATCH: Newport County (A) 04/11/23 - FA Cup 1st round 🏆

7 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

Come on, BP. We lost and like you I'm very disappointed, but we were playing away against a team a division higher.

I repeat, MM is 4 games into his time with us. 4 games!! If he picks particular players game after game who literally don't make any impact on the game, fair enough, you can then question his judgement. You can't seriously question him so early in his tenure.

If you'd been in charge at United when Ferguson was struggling, in his fourth season with them, he'd have had no chance!

He should know his players by now surely he watched them before he took the job, but still played those non performers ?

I don't care about his reputation its the judgement I'm questioning.

Edited by BP1960

3 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

He should know his players by now surely he watched them before he took the job, but still played those non performers ?

Freeman, McGahey - 2nd game under Mellon. Dickenson, Nuttall - 1st game under Mellon. You seem to be saying he should shut some of these players out and not give them a chance. How is that supposed to motivate a squad? I didn't see the game today, but if Dickenson and/or Nuttall played badly, he can now point that out to them and say this is how/where I need you to improve.

Any decent manager will usually start with a clean slate, and that's what Mellon seems to be doing. He is learning his squad's strengths and weaknesses game by game. Give him a chance!!

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

Lost a lot a credibility with me starting Nuttall and Dickenson who he must have known shouldn't have even been considered.

I'd sooner play 17yo Alfie Atherton on the wing than any of this bunch.

Bedides bags of ability at least he shows some dynamism. 

Wouldn't surprise me though if he's never even trained with the first team.

Rochdale played a 17yo against us who looks a great prospect.

10 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

I don't care about his reputation its the judgement I'm questioning.

Bore off

1 hour ago, oafc1955 said:

Can anybody who watched it today give us a view of the game and the performances of individuals?

Hudson - Steady, not at fault for either goal.

Freeman - OK, a much better option than Sutton

Hobson - Usual decent game.

McGahey - Average

Kitching - Better when pushed into midfield.

Hogan - Played LB, did OK playing slightly out of position.

Hope - Ran around a lot and looked dangerous at times

Sheron - Meh

Lundstram - Meh

Dickenson - Not long enough to judge

Nuttall - Did OK, tested the GK and supported Norwood

Norwood - Should have scored early on when through on goal

Other subs

Reid - Looked lively, but that's about it 

Fondop and Gardner - Not on long enough, both probably should have been on at least 10 minutes before they were.

Hobson easily our PotM. But no-one had a shocker, and no-one had a blinder 

We missed Norman (for his distribution), Green (if he turned up) and I'd have brought Fondop on a lot earlier, he would have bullied their CBs a lot.

Edited by rudemedic

1 hour ago, Worcester Owl said:

Freeman, McGahey - 2nd game under Mellon. Dickenson, Nuttall - 1st game under Mellon. You seem to be saying he should shut some of these players out and not give them a chance. How is that supposed to motivate a squad? I didn't see the game today, but if Dickenson and/or Nuttall played badly, he can now point that out to them and say this is how/where I need you to improve.

Any decent manager will usually start with a clean slate, and that's what Mellon seems to be doing. He is learning his squad's strengths and weaknesses game by game. Give him a chance!!

Just seen MMs post match interview, he looks totally  perplexed and if the players can't pass a ball or motivate themselves for a cup match there's little hope for a league game.

I do feel for him though having inherited this lot. Only a full clear out with players he knows will do what he wants will improve matters.

I hope the board can back him with at least 4 better players signed for the time being or he will become extremely frustrated with them and may even do a Paul Scholes.

5 minutes ago, BP1960 said:

Just seen MMs post match interview, he looks totally  perplexed and if the players can't pass a ball or motivate themselves for a cup match there's little hope for a league game.

I do feel for him though having inherited this lot. Only a full clear out with players he knows will do what he wants will improve matters.

I hope the board can back him with at least 4 better players signed for the time being or he will become extremely frustrated with them and may even do a Paul Scholes.

I doubt he's a quitter, unlike some posters on here.  😉

58 minutes ago, rudemedic said:

McGahey - Average

Sheron - Meh

Lundstram - Meh

Other subs

Fondop and Gardner - Not on long enough, both probably should have been on at least 10 minutes before they were.

We missed Norman (for his distribution), Green (if he turned up) and I'd have brought Fondop on a lot earlier, he would have bullied their CBs a lot.

I think your being very generous here if i’m honest. Apart from Hobson, we were crap! 

3 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Lost a lot a credibility with me starting Nuttall and Dickenson who he must have known shouldn't have even been considered.

I'd sooner play 17yo Alfie Atherton on the wing than any of this bunch.

Bedides bags of ability at least he shows some dynamism. 

Part of a Burscough team banged 0-6 at the mighty Padiham today...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BP1960 said:

No chance of that BP he, knew exactly what he was signing up to, I’m sure he’ll have the necessary funds when he needs them…

2 hours ago, BP1960 said:

Which four players would you be replacing? 

The morning after report…

Caught the train from Didcot - delayed and arrived 50 minutes late…had to stand all the way…

Had to go straight to the ground so missed out on the Tiny Rebel Brewery prematch drinks…

Got soaked on the way and then the view from our seats was crap - low down and in the glare of a setting sun

Another average away day performance - too many misplaced and panicked passes - Norwood missed two great opportunities and a great effort from Nuttall saved. 

Reid and Hogan improved us when they came on. 

Another disappointing away day - I think McGahey and Nuttall cannot start next week - and I think the players and management need to step up.

Simply not good enough.

12 hours ago, rudemedic said:

McGahey - Average

Sheron - Meh

Lundstram - Meh

Other subs

12 hours ago, rudemedic said:

McGahey - Average

Sheron - Meh

Lundstram - Meh

Other subs

This is a fair assessment.

Overall it was just flat and disappointing. Newport didn’t look much of a team and didn’t really threaten us, although McLaughlin took both of his goals well.

The early sub was a good decision from MM and we were better thereafter, until they got the 2nd goal.

What we seem to lack is composure and decision making when in possession, and players who can carry the ball. In that respect I was disappointed in both Lundstram and Freeman, the former never looked to make an incisive pass and seemed hurried and uncomfortable on the ball and the latter never wanted to carry the ball. Instead he played long and didn’t seem to get high enough up the pitch to help Hope.

I mention those two because I hadn’t seen either previously and hoped they may add a bit of quality in possession. Yesterday they did not.

That better calibre and choice of pass is what we need to get us into better positions on the pitch, which in turn will improve Norwood. We have to get the ball to his feet, or allow him to play on the shoulder of the centre half, and get in behind (that great chance in the 2nd half illustrates this, the ball went into the pocket behind the defender,  he got there first and we were in).

Our current style is to try and hit him long or simply ignore him short in preference for a pass to the centre half or a misplaced ‘switch’ wide.

In Norwood and Hobson we have two players of real quality, but I am not sure we have anyone else who would be a regular in a top of the table side. The squad is OK but lacks wide options and midfield creativity, this is something we have all known since the start of the season.

Gardener would solve the creativity problem, but sadly can’t be relied upon (even in ten minutes yesterday the difference he brings to the team could be seen - he carried the ball and passed it forwards), only Green offers pace and width, but I am not convinced at all by him.

I think the squad is top half, but miles away from top 5 levels, and it will take some good fortune with injuries and a couple for players to hit unexpected levels of performance (hot goal streak from Reid or something like that) for us to scrape into the playoffs.

The manager’s hands are probably tied with recruitment as there is a sense that players have contracts that don’t give them much of an incentive to leave (thinking Tollit, Shelton, Nutall, Dickinson, Fondop etc). It’s not really possible therefore to just ship 5 out and bring 3 quality players in.

So aside maybe from a loan or two we are stuck with this lot for the season (cheers Dave). MM has therefore got a tough job to win over an (understandably) impatient and frustrated fan base.

• Like 7