MATCH: Hartlepool United (H) 30/12/23 🍾🍾🍾

41 minutes ago, redlion said:

Isn't all that just part of "seeing the game out" though and what all good teams do ?

That's the theory but we're not good at it.

Good teams also play on the front foot and show some urgency most of the time not traipse about as if they're on holiday. I'm not overly concerned when we slow the game when leading but we just seem a bit lethargic at times. When we've scored I'd prefer us to push on for a second or third which is a much more effective way of "seeing the game out".

• Like 3

I brought my brother in law on Saturday, who was very much a neutral. He commented on the general lack of effort and running of our team.

And it seems stupid to moan about throw ins, but it’s something that’s irritated me for seasons now. I remember Shez doing his nut about it in the L2 relegation season. We don’t have movement, we don’t find a man, we don’t protect the ball.  We inevitably turn over the ball instantly, even from attacking throw ins, and within 2 passes we often find ourselves stretched, overloaded and defending a dangerous counter.

Conversely, it feels like the opposition throw ins find players in space with options to then build an attack. 

Actually, very representative of when the ball is in general play. But it frustrates me more from our attacking throw in which is an opportunity to pin a team back, not gift them the freedom of the park.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Sloshed Joe said:

I brought my brother in law on Saturday, who was very much a neutral. He commented on the general lack of effort and running of our team.

And it seems stupid to moan about throw ins, but it’s something that’s irritated me for seasons now. I remember Shez doing his nut about it in the L2 relegation season. We don’t have movement, we don’t find a man, we don’t protect the ball.  We inevitably turn over the ball instantly, even from attacking throw ins, and within 2 passes we often find ourselves stretched, overloaded and defending a dangerous counter.

Conversely, it feels like the opposition throw ins find players in space with options to then build an attack. 

Actually, very representative of when the ball is in general play. But it frustrates me more from our attacking throw in which is an opportunity to pin a team back, not gift them the freedom of the park.

I'll second that. Also, just making your available to receive the ball. It's a simple game of angles, find space, sometimes through movement (but not always).   

Throw ins are an area I’ve long advocated that we need to practise on. Our ball retention on throws is extremely poor , lack of movement & options. Also something simple is how we throw it as well . Most teams throw it to feet so they can control it easier, we throw it so it bounces a yard in front of the player or at his chest who then struggles to control it . It might sound trivial or pedantic but we rarely retain possession then we’re under pressure.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bluemood said:

Throw ins are an area I’ve long advocated that we need to practise on. Our ball retention on throws is extremely poor , lack of movement & options. Also something simple is how we throw it as well . Most teams throw it to feet so they can control it easier, we throw it so it bounces a yard in front of the player or at his chest who then struggles to control it . It might sound trivial or pedantic but we rarely retain possession then we’re under pressure.

It's basically either laziness or thoughtless not throwing the ball directly to feet or passing the ball to a team mate's "wrong" foot when under no pressure. It slows the game unnecessarily. 

Fully agree about the throw in points. On Saturday in the first half Stones was asking for throws to be played to him to his feet but this did not happen. Yes we do appear to lose possession from many throw ins which puts us on the back foot over and over again. 

On 12/30/2023 at 5:36 PM, Careca9 said:

really good return with a poor team. Full confidence in the manager atm. Still don’t think current squad have it in them to go up with this manager. mcgahey, freeman, Willoughby, Reid, Shelton, green, nuttall can all go. Think we need to make sure hogan, sheron, lundstrom, ward, Dickerson are squad players and not reg starters.

Ok wow. So who's playing in midfield Saturday.....😉

• Bender unfeatured this topic