MATCH: Hartlepool United (H) 30/12/23 🍾🍾🍾

"And what gives with this new tactic of goalkeeper and centre backs playing russian roulette from dead ball situations, pissing about between themselves then wacking it upfield, which the keeper could have done himself in the first place."      100milesaway

Hope that was a one off, we are not that good yet.   My blood pressure would not stand it every week.

1 hour ago, LaticsPete said:

Ah, the ever predictable “ sign the best player on the opposition “ post. 

Not wanting to come inbetween a feud between 2 blokes both older than my Dad but in this instance it was hardly an unreasonable suggestion I think Mancini would be a good signing here and would probably thrive.

• Like 4

Maybe it's just me, but there's something a little bit satisfying that we're 8th and level on points with the playoffs at the turn of the year, despite not playing at all well in approximately half the matches so far.

With the proven manager we have in addition to the potential to add to the squad (albeit with the possible reliance on offloading a few players first) I'd put us as one of the more likely clubs to make the playoffs at this stage. 

At the same time we're under no illusions that improvements are needed for us to succeed.  It's a low bar, but this is the best position we've been in going into January for a long time, certainly in the last decade.

EDIT:  The closest competition to the final paragraph is probably December 2014 when we were doing well under Lee Johnson (look where he is now) but 2015 had barely began when the powers-to-be and Red Fleece decided that trying to sign Ched Evans wouldn't backfire in any way.  Whoever on here dubbed 2015 the "horrible anus" year couldn't have put it better!

Edited by the_mighty_bosh
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, the_mighty_bosh said:

Maybe it's just me, but there's something a little bit satisfying that we're 8th and level on points with the playoffs at the turn of the year, despite not playing at all well in approximately half the matches so far.

With the proven manager we have in addition to the potential to add to the squad (albeit with the possible reliance on offloading a few players first) I'd put us as one of the more likely clubs to make the playoffs at this stage. 

At the same time we're under no illusions that improvements are needed for us to succeed.  It's a low bar, but this is the best position we've been in going into January for a long time, certainly in the last decade.

Anything is possible if we can continue our present form and yes, we're in a healthy position for a run at the play offs, something we could have only dreamed about not that long ago.

Good isn't it 👍

14 minutes ago, Wardie said:

Ex Hartlepool manager, Askey, claims the Stones goal was offside.
I think he knew what was coming.

Stones 100% onside. Hope however is a ? and it’s a case of was he interfering? He did make a move to the ball, but quickly saw Stones was in a better position and backed off. Seen em given, possibly 50/50. 

I'm not a fan of 5 3 2 and letting the opposition have the ball.  It worked for the first half against Gateshead but then they just started passing through us.  It worked for the first half today despite the added idea of not only letting them have the ball but also giving it to them.

Fortunately the tactical change of four at the back did slowly produce better form and eventually a second goal.  Nicely placed at 8th given the start under Rhino but a hard watch.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Not wanting to come inbetween a feud between 2 blokes both older than my Dad but in this instance it was hardly an unreasonable suggestion I think Mancini would be a good signing here and would probably thrive.

Not sure why we seem to be waiting for EFL signings - seen plenty in this division who fit the bill.

6 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Of course I’m happy to win and get the points but we are so bloody bad it beggars belief!!

If this is you being happy after a win I would hate to see what you were like after the earlier terrible defeats.

Just on another track I thought the Athleticos really added to the game today and were back to geeing us up during the drab bits, or did you think they were out of tune??!!

I wouldn’t be touching Mancini until the close season, a young player who has played 8 games of professional adult football, and has just had 4 months out with a hamstring injury, so it must have been a significant one, is not worth signing from a club in the same division.

If he has played in the majority of Hartlepool’s game between now and April, then I would certainly consider him in the summer. Little point in signing a player to improve our chances of making the playoffs, which we are only out of on goal difference, if he isn’t going to play in enough games. Especially when we already have a midfielder who is on his day top quality in this division but he can’t stay fit. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

I wouldn’t be touching Mancini until the close season, a young player who has played 8 games of professional adult football, and has just had 4 months out with a hamstring injury, so it must have been a significant one, is not worth signing from a club in the same division.

If he has played in the majority of Hartlepool’s game between now and April, then I would certainly consider him in the summer. Little point in signing a player to improve our chances of making the playoffs, which we are only out of on goal difference, if he isn’t going to play in enough games. Especially when we already have a midfielder who is on his day top quality in this division but he can’t stay fit. 

Mancini was released by Burnley without playing a game 18 months ago. It then took him eight months to find a club (Accrington) before he was released by them four months later having played two games. 

I'm not saying he isn't a talent, but that record doesn't immediately strike me as that of a world-beater... 

Edited by OneSizeFitz
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, disjointed said:

That's a good shout but where do you put the away fans? A lot of people are happy with the situation in the Rocky, stand near or behind the Athleticos or sit either side of them. 

oh yeah!!

if we all fancied standing (we already do) we could put away fans in the Jimmy Frizz. having typed this lve realised the location of the Athleticos inspires kids int family stand.

hmm.

8 hours ago, oafc1955 said:

Calm the fuck down!!! You have to be joking….we are utter, utter garbage. I’ve seen far better on Clayton and it’s not good enough!

Grow up. We're winning games.

7 hours ago, BP1960 said:

I can see good money coming in for Hudson, he's commanding his area very well now.

If so use some of it for Mancini, he's  clearly not 100% fit yet, but it can be seen he's a quality player.

I'd love to see that. Sign a guy who has played about 3 games in a year and then the inevitable from you of "why are we signing players who aren't match fit" as per

6 hours ago, BP1960 said:

You clearly can't spot a good player right in front of your nose, any manager in this league would take him. As usual you're still trying to bring me down instead of giving any credit.

No wonder you're blocked.

Ha. Think the point was any Tom, Dick or Harry can watch one game and pick the best player and say Sign them. There will always be one player who looks good on opposite team. Doesn't mean they do it week in week out. That lad hasn't even done in consistently over a few months. Because he's barely played a game of football

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rudemedic said:

Very good post this 

45 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

This morning, the feeling is still overwhelming frustrating that we wasted 9 matches of the season on that absolute turnip...

Yep…MM in from the start and even with this squad we’d have been top 3 no doubt!