not Perry Groves

Think Harry Redknapp played with him at Bournemouth and in his book said he was the most talented player he'd ever seen, ridiculous what he could do with a ball.

He was my first proper footballing hero as a kid.

Him and Les Chapman ran a petrol station on Ashton Rd near Honeywell Lane that's now a Tesco express when they were at Latics and he lived in a flat over the shops next to Garden Suburbs near my school back then.

Seem to remember his relationship with his Mrs made the papers at the time.

12 hours ago, Longlostfan said:

makes a cameo in the highlights of the facup 5th rd in 1977

link from lookerstandandy's thread of footage

School ran a coach to this game parked it a mile away from the ground and left us to make our own way the rest of the way.

Not the best idea as the Liverpool fans weren't the happy, cheeky, lovable scousers they like you to believe they are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Inspectormorose. said:

School ran a coach to this game parked it a mile away from the ground and left us to make our own way the rest of the way.

Not the best idea as the Liverpool fans weren't the happy, cheeky, lovable scousers they like you to believe they are.

How did the segregation work, out of interest?  Looks like there was loads of us in their end...

He was absolute box office for a couple of seasons before he got bored and fed up.

A tremendous individual player, yet if I were picking my all time Latics team I would have Rick Holden for his all round contribution.

Both interesting characters.

16 minutes ago, JoeP said:

How did the segregation work, out of interest?  Looks like there was loads of us in their end...

I was somewhere on the side. To be honest didn't see much of the match due to it being packed and I was 12 so about 4 foot 6, saw more on the tv footage afterwards. 

Interesting one that, never occurred to me before, presume it wasn't all ticket so you could pay in wherever you fancied standing.

20 minutes ago, JoeP said:

About 5 mins before kick off quite a few of us were marched along the touch line (Too many in the section) and put in the paddock next to the Kop end. Within 10 minutes had knives pulled on us for our scarves by those loveable scousers. I would have been 13 at the time.

After the match you ran the gauntlet to the coaches.

• Like 1

I stood on the Kop for that game, figured it might be my one and only trip to Anfield (to date, it was!) so I was curious what it would be like. I remember the Jimmy Case goal very well, and being shoved about 20 feet forward after it!

That Liverpool side won the European Cup only 3 months later. They were a hell of a side but we played really well on the day. 

13 hours ago, JohnnyPimp said:

Different times (1977).

Jumpers for goalposts, gymslip brides.

Good player, strong as well.   There was a lot of tut-tutting at the time about his choice of bride;  her interrupted education etc, etc.  His reported comment:

She does not need any education as long as she gets my tea on the table.

So fair to say, old school rather than woke.   🙂

1 hour ago, Inspectormorose. said:

I was somewhere on the side. To be honest didn't see much of the match due to it being packed and I was 12 so about 4 foot 6, saw more on the tv footage afterwards. 

Interesting one that, never occurred to me before, presume it wasn't all ticket so you could pay in wherever you fancied standing.

Same here for that game-stood in side stand. No eye contact or speaking to each other on the way out till we got in the car.

42 minutes ago, Inspectormorose. said:

Away games were interesting "Back in the day" Monty (You have to be over 50 to use that phrase, clause 19 subsection F in the contract of life) Rarely a cosy have a pint in the away teams social club.

indeed. l'm only 29 but lve heard. kudos to all who cheered.

29 minutes ago, Punce said:

Good player, strong as well.   There was a lot of tut-tutting at the time about his choice of bride;  her interrupted education etc, etc.  His reported comment:

She does not need any education as long as she gets my tea on the table.

So fair to say, old school rather than woke.   🙂

I can think of another phrase to replace “old school”!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Longlostfan said:

makes a cameo in the highlights of the facup 5th rd in 1977

link from lookerstandandy's thread of footage

l had actually already found that!! lovely elbow from Grovesy there to help make the equaliser. excellent.

On 2/3/2024 at 12:30 PM, Dickie Down said:

He was absolute box office for a couple of seasons before he got bored and fed up.

A tremendous individual player, yet if I were picking my all time Latics team I would have Rick Holden for his all round contribution.

Probably agree. Grovesy was the most skilful player I`ve ever seen (nobody comes anywhere near him in my lifetime in terms of dribbling ability) but his crossing wasn't the best from my memory as a young lad watching him. Rick Holden was an incredible crosser of the ball and must have created lord knows how many assists. With regards "pleasing to the eye" and often worth paying your entrance money just to watch them alone, we've not really had that many over the years. I'd say:-

Alan Groves

Simon Stainrod

Andy Ritchie 

Carl Valentine - was delightful to see him almost single-handedly demolish some Scottish team, when he came on as a sub in the Anglo-Scottish cup back in the old days.

We`ve obviously had other fine players (e.g. John Sheridan) and some excellent teams under the likes of Jimmy Frizz and Joe Royle but, for individual brilliance, those 4 stand out for me.  

Edited by spanishfly

10 hours ago, spanishfly said:

Probably agree. Grovesy was the most skilful player I`ve ever seen (nobody comes anywhere near him in my lifetime in terms of dribbling ability) but his crossing wasn't the best from my memory as a young lad watching him. Rick Holden was an incredible crosser of the ball and must have created lord knows how many assists. With regards "pleasing to the eye" and often worth paying your entrance money just to watch them alone, we've not really had that many over the years. I'd say:-

Alan Groves

Simon Stainrod

Andy Ritchie 

Carl Valentine - was delightful to see him almost single-handedly demolish some Scottish team, when he came on as a sub in the Anglo-Scottish cup back in the old days.

We`ve obviously had other fine players (e.g. John Sheridan) and some excellent teams under the likes of Jimmy Frizz and Joe Royle but, for individual brilliance, those 4 stand out for me.  

I'd go for David Shaw and Tommy Bryceland along with those.

The forward line of Heath, Shaw, Fryatt, Bryceland and Bebbington generally provided something to talk about.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dickie Down said:

I'd go for David Shaw and Tommy Bryceland along with those.

The forward line of Heath, Shaw, Fryatt, Bryceland and Bebbington generally provided something to talk about.

David Shaw, the best striker I have seen at Latics with electrifying pace from a standing start. His partnership with Jim Fryatt was something else, wasn't it about 50 goals between them one season? Great memories.

Edited by spanishfly
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

David Shaw, the best striker I have seen at Latics with electrifying pace from a standing start. His partnership with Jim Fryatt was something else, wasn't it about 50 goals between them one season? Great memories.

And he preferred rugby league 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, spanishfly said:

Very much the team that inspired my Latics habit.

On a note of optimism, the years that preceded it were amongst our most dire.

Fryatt was my personal favourite. I think he has claims to be Latics most significant signing. Seemed to lift the mood overnight and we didn't look back for 25 years.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dickie Down said:

Saw him watching his son once at Hunslet for Oldham in the 1990s.

I would pay to attend an event with remnants of that team.

Same here. They've got a lot to answer for though, it was watching them that cemented me as a lifelong fan!! 😢

• Like 2