not Perry Groves

23 minutes ago, Dickie Down said:

Saw him watching his son once at Hunslet for Oldham in the 1990s.

I would pay to attend an event with remnants of that team.

Met him when he came over for a SAFE day. 2002ish. Nice fella 

23 hours ago, spanishfly said:

Probably agree. Grovesy was the most skilful player I`ve ever seen (nobody comes anywhere near him in my lifetime in terms of dribbling ability) but his crossing wasn't the best from my memory as a young lad watching him. Rick Holden was an incredible crosser of the ball and must have created lord knows how many assists. With regards "pleasing to the eye" and often worth paying your entrance money just to watch them alone, we've not really had that many over the years. I'd say:-

Alan Groves

Simon Stainrod

Andy Ritchie 

Carl Valentine - was delightful to see him almost single-handedly demolish some Scottish team, when he came on as a sub in the Anglo-Scottish cup back in the old days.

We`ve obviously had other fine players (e.g. John Sheridan) and some excellent teams under the likes of Jimmy Frizz and Joe Royle but, for individual brilliance, those 4 stand out for me.  

Billy Johnston would have been a great player but never fully recovered from a broken leg courtesy of dirty barsteward Dickie Rooks (I think) from Middlesbrough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, spanishfly said:

David Shaw, the best striker I have seen at Latics with electrifying pace from a standing start. His partnership with Jim Fryatt was something else, wasn't it about 50 goals between them one season? Great memories.

In the 1970 / 71 season Jim Fryatt was the leading scorer with 26 league and cup goals. David Shaw could only manage 24! 

That was also my first season - halcyon days.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, LaticMark said:

In the 1970 / 71 season Jim Fryatt was the leading scorer with 26 league and cup goals. David Shaw could only manage 24! 

That was also my first season - halcyon days.

And the thing is that Shaw, at that point in his career, was an extremely erratic finisher.

Frighteningly quick, though.

15 minutes ago, Dickie Down said:

And the thing is that Shaw, at that point in his career, was an extremely erratic finisher.

Frighteningly quick, though.

Wasn’t he very shortsighted and needed contact lenses when playing?

2 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

Wasn’t he very shortsighted and needed contact lenses when playing?

Believe he ran into a goal post with Huddersfield and that put him back a bit. Hence we got him.

Rumours that Bill Shankly wanted him, but was put off by the eye sight stuff.

On his return to Latics he was still quick, but had bad knees. Was a very good finisher by then.

Tough lad as well. Very late in his career he got sent off after wandering over to the Blackpool full back and headbutting him.

Always wondered why. Perhaps the guy was responsible for his injury and it was his last chance?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Dickie Down said:

Always wondered why. Perhaps the guy was responsible for his injury and it was his last chance?

I remember Latics had some kind of benefit/testimonial game for David Shaw, on a Tuesday night against Blackburn Rovers (did he have to retire early through injury?). I remember the attendance being poor and I thought it was poor form from Latics fans. I'd spent all my milk-round money getting in! Different times I supppose. A complete contrast to Roger Palmer's sell-out testimonial many years later.

Edited by spanishfly

12 hours ago, spanishfly said:

I remember Latics had some kind of benefit/testimonial game for David Shaw, on a Tuesday night against Blackburn Rovers (did he have to retire early through injury?). I remember the attendance being poor and I thought it was poor form from Latics fans. I'd spent all my milk-round money getting in! Different times I supppose. A complete contrast to Roger Palmer's sell-out testimonial many years later.

Yes he finished early.

Came back to Latics on the understanding it was only on loan as we couldn't afford the fee.

Ended up coming back on a free. Must have been knackered then. Retired after a couple of years.

Remember the first game back when he scored a hat trick in the first fifteen minutes against Southampton.

The club looked after him with the testimonial and Lees's got him The Crown and Shuttle in Milnrow.

• Thanks 2

On 2/3/2024 at 1:33 PM, Worcester Owl said:

I stood on the Kop for that game, figured it might be my one and only trip to Anfield (to date, it was!) so I was curious what it would be like. I remember the Jimmy Case goal very well, and being shoved about 20 feet forward after it!

That Liverpool side won the European Cup only 3 months later. They were a hell of a side but we played really well on the day. 

Also stood on the Kop for that one with my dad and brother aged 11 lifted to the front and generaly treated well 

14 hours ago, Dickie Down said:

Yes he finished early.

Came back to Latics on the understanding it was only on loan as we couldn't afford the fee.

Ended up coming back on a free. Must have been knackered then. Retired after a couple of years.

Remember the first game back when he scored a hat trick in the first fifteen minutes against Southampton.

The club looked after him with the testimonial and Lees's got him The Crown and Shuttle in Milnrow.

Remember that game, I was sat on the hoarding to left of Rochdale Rd end goal, what a return! I think it may have been the texaco Cup game?

10 hours ago, Ogdenwoodwhittle said:

Remember that game, I was sat on the hoarding to left of Rochdale Rd end goal, what a return! I think it may have been the texaco Cup game?

Definitely a league game. Won 3-2. The season after Southampton won the FA Cup, I think. Mick Channon played.

18 minutes ago, Dickie Down said:

Definitely a league game. Won 3-2. The season after Southampton won the FA Cup, I think. Mick Channon played.

I recall them keeping his return under wraps until very close to kick off. That would be hard to achieve these days!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave_Og said:

I recall them keeping his return under wraps until very close to kick off. That would be hard to achieve these days!

We did similar with Gerrard against Shrewsbury few years ago i think. Was a lot of surprise when he rocked up for us on a Tuesday night possibly? 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

We did similar with Gerrard against Shrewsbury few years ago i think. Was a lot of surprise when he rocked up for us on a Tuesday night possibly? 

Yes I was there that night (bloody hell it was 8 years ago!) having travelled over from work in Coventry. Sublime performance from Gerrard, he didn't put a foot wrong and had them in his pocket. Carl Winchester scored in a 1-0 win for us. 

Edited by spanishfly

3 hours ago, mcfluff1985 said:

My 53 year old self must have been less excited than my 13 year old self was. Which is a relief.

• Like 1