not Perry Groves

Met Perry Groves at the Roadhouse in Manchester once, strangely enough. He'd just been doing a radio show Media City with Colin Murray and Pat Nevin earlier in the evening. Pat was DJing a stellar indiepop set at a clubnight at the Roadhouse. Perry was such a good bloke, had loads of time for anyone and I think I spent an entire 25 minutes talking about the several Oldham v Arsenal matches in the 90's. He remembered them all vividly, more so the 1-1 where Wright scored and reacted to abuse from the crowd since it was his cross that Wright put away.

His Football Ramble Meets podcast episode was a great listen too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave_Og said:

Nobody, ever, has been similar to Alan Groves. An absolute one-off.

This. By far the most skilful player I have ever seen in a Latics shirt. Somewhere you will find a write-up from Harry Rednap regarding just how highly he rated him. His physical strength was incredible and his dribbling... well, it was just sheer joy to witness. It was a privilege to have watched him and I remember the enormous sense of grief when he died aged just 29. He had moved to Blackpool a few months before but still lived in Royton and, from memory, collapsed of heart failure at home and died on the way to Boundary Park Hospital. 

• Like 3

I remember watching Alan Groves run down the wing with the ball, being marked by an opposition player.

The player must have stood on Grovesie's heel, loosening his boot.

Groves, whilst still running at pace with the ball, flicked that foot up, resulting his boot flying over his head behind him. 

The player looked behind him, thinking it was the ball, breaking his stride - enabling Groves to get away from him with the ball.

The man was a genius.

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Sounds like he was a good player, but I'll forever find it strange that a grown man married a 16 year old girl...

Different times (1977).

Jumpers for goalposts, gymslip brides.