Good players we could have signed

2 hours ago, rudemedic said:

Fairly confident Sharp said he was no better than what we had.

Probably a reason why his only managerial job after us was at Bangor.

That and every other aspect of his managerial abilities...

24 minutes ago, Sparkleking said:

I remember reading that in the late 70's we had agreed a fee with Man City for Brian Kidd only for him to chose to go to Everton at the last minute.

Remember that on the back pages of the Chron for a week 

I've just finished reading Tony Bugby's Latics book.  We had the goalkeeper Eddie Hopkinson on our books and he played 3 times in 1951/52.  That summer he was out of contract and the club "forgot" to offer him a new one so thinking he wasn't wanted he signed for Bolton.  He went on to be their record appearance holder and play 14 times for England.  File under great Latics cock ups.

I've just finished reading Tony Bugby's Latics book.  We had the goalkeeper Eddie Hopkinson on our books and he played 3 times in 1951/52.  That summer he was out of contract and the club "forgot" to offer him a new one so thinking he wasn't wanted he signed for Bolton.  He went on to be their record appearance holder and play 14 times for England.  File under great Latics cock ups.

7 minutes ago, Sparkleking said:

So good, you read it twice. :D 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sparkleking said:

Eddie was only 5' 8", but a great keeper.

WBA released Andy Goram as a youth so guess we got one back there.

4 hours ago, Sparkleking said:

His Son was a goalie also at my school along with steve taylor who played for us.

1 hour ago, IanMarshall's Mullet said:

I played in the same team as Paul Hopkinson at Royton & Crompton school. Paul was in the year below me and Steve Taylor was in the year above. 

Same mate, we  must have been in the same year .

• Thanks 1

On 2/20/2024 at 2:57 PM, LaticsEddie said:

More recently Regan Booty is having another great season and we were linked in the summer

For some reason I actually think we'll sign him in the future. Nothing whatsoever to base that on other than he came down to watch Delph play cricket last summer (albeit because his mates play for the opposition).

On 2/20/2024 at 4:52 PM, Lukers1 said:

Sami Hypia played a behind the doors friendly at Stalybridge.

I recall it was  Alan Hardy said we didn’t need him..

WTF was Alan giving professional advise on players for? He sold advertising space. No wonder we went down FFS.

3 hours ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

WTF was Alan giving professional advise on players for? He sold advertising space. No wonder we went down FFS.

He was simply the voice of the club at that time but I don’t think he will have had too much say on player recruitment.

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Didn't Sharp say in his book that it was Stott who wouldn't sanction a deal...?

I reckon that was bollocks. I believe he was on trial and we were interested but before we'd decided whether to make an offer he'd gone in trial to Willem II where his best mate was and he signed for them.