Micky Mellon Sack Watch

23 hours ago, spanishfly said:

This isn't 1st hand but is a summary of what I was told recently. Promotion was the immediate aim when the new owner/s came in. It was the aim again this season; both for Unsworth and for MM. It has recently been accepted it's not going to happen, largely due to a bloated squad of inadequate players. The season ticket price was set accordingly (i.e. to be in this league next season). MM is going nowhere and there will be a huge clearout in the summer (by whatever means necessary). We must be promoted next season. All important footballing decisions have been entrusted to "the Royles" so I`m assuming that to mean Darren and Joe (and I don't even know what position either holds tbh, I was only here for the football on the pitch).

Make of it what you will.

Personal opinion, but I wouldn't be letting the Royles anywhere near the important footballing decisions. They have had a go at that for the last 18 months and it's been horrendous. Joe has been out of the game a long time and the game has moved on a great deal in that time. We need to appoint a Director of Football who has full control on the recruitment alongside the manager which for me would still be Mellon at this stage. Those 2 people would then be responsible for the results on the pitch as currently nobody seems accountable. Who appoints the DoF, is another thing given the Rothwells freely admit to knowing nothing about football. As I said previously, the whole footballing side of things needs a complete rethink as we can't continue to waste precious time and money in the division for too long.

• Like 1

I know that our experience of Director of Football isn't a good one but if we actually get the right person who is qualified to do the job properly then I think it's something we should do. Last week's Stick to Football guest was Les Ferdinand and he gives a really interesting insight into the role. Well worth a watch.

31 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Personal opinion, but I wouldn't be letting the Royles anywhere near the important footballing decisions. They have had a go at that for the last 18 months and it's been horrendous. Joe has been out of the game a long time and the game has moved on a great deal in that time. We need to appoint a Director of Football who has full control on the recruitment alongside the manager which for me would still be Mellon at this stage. Those 2 people would then be responsible for the results on the pitch as currently nobody seems accountable. Who appoints the DoF, is another thing given the Rothwells freely admit to knowing nothing about football. As I said previously, the whole footballing side of things needs a complete rethink as we can't continue to waste precious time and money in the division for too long.

Other than Darren appointing Mellon and presumably Unsworth too, what footballing decisions have been made by Darren or Joe Royle under the Rothwells so far?

41 minutes ago, nzlatic said:

Other than Darren appointing Mellon and presumably Unsworth too, what footballing decisions have been made by Darren or Joe Royle under the Rothwells so far?

Recruiting ST.

Bringing stats bomb. 

Both of which have contributed to some awful decision making regarding recruitment. 

How many successful signings have we had since they joined? 

Norwood? (And I don’t think even he has hit the heights we were expecting) 

Im sure DR does a lot of great things for the club, however his footballing decision and/or oversight has been very poor. 

Just now, League one forever said:

Oh.

Agreeing to a B team in division 5. 

Canning a B team. 

Saying the youth structure is vital to the club, and then overseeing the only player to come through underplayed and sold for peanuts. 

Was just going to add these but I'd also say handing out expensive and lengthy contracts to all and sundry which is possibly the biggest and most damaging mistake of the lot.

The biggest indicator of disastrous recruitment is the fact that Mellon has relied heavily on Mcgahey, Gardner, Fondop and Sheron all of whom were signed under the Lemsagams. 

• Thanks 1

Whatever we have been doing for recruitment for the last 18 months, we need to be doing the complete opposite. 

If that means DR or whoever has to step away from recruitment, then do exactly that. 

Mellon should create the plan of how he wants his team to look and we should recruit to that. Just work to a pissing plan. Oh and buy a right back. 

5 minutes ago, PeteG said:

Was just going to add these but I'd also say handing out expensive and lengthy contracts to all and sundry which is possibly the biggest and most damaging mistake of the lot.

I have some sympathy with that one, there are certain players that need enticing, and they just won’t come for a one year deal. The issue we have is that everybody seems to get two years or more. We need to be much, much more selective in who gets the longer deals. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LightDN123 said:

Whatever we have been doing for recruitment for the last 18 months, we need to be doing the complete opposite. 

If that means DR or whoever has to step away from recruitment, then do exactly that. 

Mellon should create the plan of how he wants his team to look and we should recruit to that. Just work to a pissing plan. Oh and buy a right back. 

Aye.

We were told 18 months ago there was a proper recruitment plan/strategy. . . It’s culminated in 56 strikers, 36 midfielders, and one left back

2 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Aye.

We were told 18 months ago there was a proper recruitment plan/strategy. . . It’s culminated in 56 strikers, 36 midfielders, and one left back

It’s a shambles really, it’s beyond poor. 

If DR is involved, let him focus on the operations side of the club, get someone in to do the recruitment. 

Didn’t DU want praise for putting in a proper recruitment team, appears they are shite. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, League one forever said:

😂

Are you pleased with the footballing decisions? 

Been some very disappointing ones. Your best friend Pete G sums it up for me by pointing out the expensive recruitment over the last 18 months or so and us still calling on Gardner, Sheron, Fondop and McGahey to be key players...

I would also add that the decision not to use the loan market seemed a rather foolish one, whether that was Unsworth or a board decision, who knows. When we have used the loan market, with the exception of Stones, the signings have been just as poor as the permanent signings. Given in recent years some of our best players have been loans with the likes of Ripley, Lang, Surridge, Smith to name just 4, it seemed a bit rash so early into their time running the club to be so dismissive of the loan system.

5 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Been some very disappointing ones. Your best friend Pete G sums it up for me by pointing out the expensive recruitment over the last 18 months or so and us still calling on Gardner, Sheron, Fondop and McGahey to be key players...

Good to know. 

Maybe we could your best mate Curle in as sporting director? I know how much you love him- and he’s available. . 

1 hour ago, LightDN123 said:

I think we need to understand exactly what went wrong with the recruitment before we come to any conclusions on how to fix it. Its easy to sit their and say that it was all down to the fact that data analysis is wrong and we didn't do that int thee olden days without seeing exactly how and why players were signed. Some of the signings looked good on paper and haven't come good. 

Their is also a danger of flip flopping from one strategy to the next it's important we find a consistent approach that works for us. 

We still haven't dome anything as brain dead as signing Queensy Menig on £13.5k a week but we certainly need to get more value for money than we have been doing.

Edited by GlossopLatic
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Recruiting ST.
I accept this. But we don't know for sure where the recruitment issue lied. Didn't ST say that there were players he wanted that DU reject?

Bringing stats bomb. 
A complete unknown what influence this has been. There is no evidence that we've signed players based on stats info that has been misleading. In theory, introducing this element to the recruitment process should help it. But it depends how it's being used. It's guesswork to suggest this has caused a problem.

Both of which have contributed to some awful decision making regarding recruitment. 
Guesswork. It's possible yes, but it's also possible they haven't been the reason recruitment has not been as successful as it should have been.

How many successful signings have we had since they joined? 
You'd need to define success really. I don't think you can properly judge recruitment when you're looking at such a short period of time. Eg, Conlon and Hammond have not been great this season, but for all we know they could be on fire next season. A few months in a team in transition is too early to judge.

Norwood? (And I don’t think even he has hit the heights we were expecting) 

DR signed Norwood? He's our top scorer by some distance.

Im sure DR does a lot of great things for the club, however his footballing decision and/or oversight has been very poor. 
A conclusion you've made on assumptions not evidence.

49 minutes ago, League one forever said:

Oh.

Agreeing to a B team in division 5. 
That was part of the plan laid out at the start.

Canning a B team. 
The plan changed. This is pretty normal stuff for businesses, you roll with the punches. That may just be because it's not the right time now, but will be introduced in the future.

Saying the youth structure is vital to the club, and then overseeing the only player to come through underplayed and sold for peanuts. 

He isn't and shouldn't be influencing which players play for the first team. He should be making sure the youth team and first team have the infrastructure in place to be successful and for a pathway to exist. I presume you mean Harry Vaughan. What were the terms of his sale? How much paid? Sell ons? Can we judge yet if that's "peanuts"?

There's quite a bit of speculation in here. Comments above.

I'm not saying he's done a great job. But I'm not saying he's done a bad job. For starters I don't know for sure exactly what his remit is and on what criteria to judge him. But also, he's been in the role for less than 2 seasons.

Recruitment should have been better, particularly last summer. But it might be that this summer is where a lot of it will be addressed. Again, too early and not enough info to judge that he "shouldn't be anywhere near important footballing decisions".

14 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

I think we need to understand exactly what went wrong with the recruitment before we come to any conclusions on how to fix it. Its easy to sit their and say that it was all down to data analysis is wrong and we didn'tdo that int thee olden days without seeing exactly how and why playets were signed. Some of the signings looked good on paper and haven't come good. 

Their is also a danger of flip flopping from one strategy to the next it's important we find a consistent approach that works for us. 

We still haven't dome anything as brain dead as signing Queensy Menig on £13.5k a week but we certainly need to get more value for money than we have been doing.

Agree that signing a player on those wages in League 1 was silly but lets not try and rewrite history regarding Menig's ability as a player. He's played at a far higher level than any of our players we currently have and was sold for 700k not long after we had him on loan. He's played in the top European competitions and is currently playing for one of the top clubs in Turkey. 

1 minute ago, PeteG said:

Agree that signing a player on those wages in League 1 was silly but lets not try and rewrite history regarding Menig's ability as a player. He's played at a far higher level than any of our players we currently have and was sold for 700k not long after we had him on loan. He's played in the top European competitions and is currently playing for one of the top clubs in Turkey. 

Doesnt matter how good he was for someonelse he was dog shit for us. He played 4 times and scored 1 goal costing us over £500k in wages he is the worst value for money signing in the clubs history and it was done completely over the managers head as a present to the fans. As presents go I'd rather have a lynx africa box set. 

6 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Good luck, are you and @GKing521 whacking 😁it ?? 

I`ve been very civil on here Bob but the problem is senile old fools like you making up conspiracy theories about senile old fools like me being the re-incarnation of some previous poster on here. You started having a dig at me early doors by asking did I enjoy my time in Spain or something similar. What I should have told you is this; no I didn't because I spent several years in a nasty Spanish gaol for my alleged part in the importation of large quantities of controlled drugs from Morocco. I was innocent of that too but sometimes life sucks. Does that satisfy your silly conspiracy theory? Give it a rest with your continuing snide comments. Doesn't make you clever or 'ard you know. Or do you yearn to be part of the little "bully" set on here? Make you feel good? 

34 minutes ago, GlossopLatic said:

Doesnt matter how good he was for someonelse he was dog shit for us. He played 4 times and scored 1 goal costing us over £500k in wages he is the worst value for money signing in the clubs history and it was done completely over the managers head as a present to the fans. As presents go I'd rather have a lynx africa box set. 

Have to admit I was bothered at the time

His 94th minute goal was sweet and against bastard Rovers 

1 hour ago, GlossopLatic said:

I think we need to understand exactly what went wrong with the recruitment before we come to any conclusions on how to fix it. Its easy to sit their and say that it was all down to the fact that data analysis is wrong and we didn't do that int thee olden days without seeing exactly how and why players were signed. Some of the signings looked good on paper and haven't come good. 

I think not signing a right back for the last 2 years to 18 months is just as bad as the Menig situation. It’s beyond incompetent at this point. 

• Like 1