MATCH: Altrincham (A) 01/04/24

I was interested to go today as it's the first chance I've had to see them since our first game at this level against Dorking. 

First half: I thought we were abysmal after the first 5 mins, which looked like we might be up for it. I will stick up for Norwood, though. I had to go in behind the goal with the Altrincham fans, so I was watching him attack in that first half, and his effort looked good to me. His movement off the ball as we attacked was very good. He was up attacking the end with our fans in the second half, so it was more difficult to judge, but he was the catalyst for most good things that happened down our right-hand side.

The second half was much better, and this is where I thought McGahey deserves some credit. Although I wouldn't expect him to be the one providing the initiative, he was the only one who consistently tried to drive forward with the ball. I think in the first half he'd been asked to man mark Conn-Clarke when he dropped into the pockets between defence and midfield and did a reasonable job.

We probably deserved a draw in the end, but equally, you couldn't argue when we didn't get one. 

Sutton drives me crazy. He seems reluctant to join the attack. So many times, we were waiting for an option out wide, and he hadn't joined. Then when he gets it, he seems to take an age to sort his feet out, then tries to do a half turn or swivel before moving it on. Sometimes he looks like he's having to run around the ball to be comfortable. For example, when he had a chance to shoot, he took the scenic route to the ball. It might be that he's a centre back.

Hogan seems to like to give someone a knee-high pass under pressure and then bomb on, assuming that not only can the player control it but find him again. Then we're exposed when we inevitably lose it. The options our players had when on the ball were much fewer than when Altrincham had the ball, which was because we don't press well and have a lot of people hiding.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just think were we would have been if we had binned Unsworth earlier.  😐

Not having the pots aimed at Sutton, one of ours, good attitude, out of position and the youngest on the pitch by a mile.   there are regularly 7 players who should catch it before him. 

Players with hundreds of league games behind them.......yet regularly shovelling shit from one bucket to another.

Imagine trying to make your mark in these teams over the past three seasons.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Punce said:

Just think were we would have been if we had binned Unsworth earlier.  😐

Not having the pots aimed at Sutton, one of ours, good attitude, out of position and the youngest on the pitch by a mile.   there are regularly 7 players who should catch it before him. 

Players with hundreds of league games behind them.......yet regularly shovelling shit from one bucket to another.

Imagine trying to make your mark in these teams over the past three seasons.

Fact is though that Sutton was at fault for the goal, and it was nothing to do with being out of position

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Still a lot of football to be played this season and we haven't lost 3 in a row all season. I still reckon we'll sneak in...

You’ve got a problem!!😳

Just seen the contracts held by the squad. Won’t be any major reshuffle in summer this will be us next year and I can’t see how this lot will turn into a promotion side. Missing so many fundamentals 

21 minutes ago, Careca9 said:

Just seen the contracts held by the squad. Won’t be any major reshuffle in summer this will be us next year and I can’t see how this lot will turn into a promotion side. Missing so many fundamentals 

Some numpties on here believe these players are ok

2 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

Who does?

Have had numerous debates with people suggesting the players are essentially good enough by reference to their past achievements. Can’t remember who. Don’t really pay attention to who say what.

am intrigued as to why these people believe our current crop are better than those who have been quickly dropped - Shelton, nuttall, Rooney. Two of these players have very good credentials. 

one cannot live on past ‘glories’ and assume they will transfer to a different context. 

1 minute ago, AndyB2 said:

Have had numerous debates with people suggesting the players are essentially good enough by reference to their past achievements. Can’t remember who. Don’t really pay attention to who say what.

am intrigued as to why these people believe our current crop are better than those who have been quickly dropped - Shelton, nuttall, Rooney. Two of these players have very good credentials. 

one cannot live on past ‘glories’ and assume they will transfer to a different context. 

I just don't understand why in almost every post you make you have a go at fellow fans. Nobody is happy with where we are

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Based on what? We haven't lost to them in for 8 years, they're below us in the table and they're in turmoil...

Are they? Thought they'd found a local multi millionaire?

27 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Based on what? We haven't lost to them in for 8 years, they're below us in the table and they're in turmoil...

Turmoil?…….you need to check the form table!

13 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

They had 1 win in 9 and then won their next three games. A stark reminder that things can change quickly in this division...

You are an eternal optimist….oh, and we just lost 2 in a row!

1 hour ago, AndyB2 said:

Some numpties on here believe these players are ok

I don't think for one minute your insults are aimed at me, but for god's sake rap up. We know your views, you can make them without the personal attacks. It's every other post.

• Like 3