• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has become a victim of mob behaviour yes, because they are doing everything they can to stop him going back to football on every occasion he gets looked at. I would add that other players coming out of jail don't seem to have had such a following as this guy...

If OAFC pull out and another clubs looks to sign him, and you go around attacking that club then you become part of the mob. If you as a fan of OAFC post your opinion on OAFC and Ched Evans than I once again repeat you are not part of the mob chasing this guy around, you are a fan with a legitimate interest and concern

If you don't mind I'd rather you included me with the baying mob. Because at the moment I've got more in common with them. I'd rather not be associated with the club and people like you at the moment. You're entitled to your opinion I just believe your opinion is completely obnoxious and vile.

The bottom line is that whether we sign Evans or not , latics should have known from the fall out at Sheffield what they could expect.

They should have conducted all these talks with sponsors etc etc before making any move.

Once they had done all that they should then have made a decision to sign him or not.

Then if they wanted to sign him just do it ,announce it to the whole world and stick by it 100%.

We are now allowing the backlash to influence the decision which is wrong , having signed him we should just be taking the flak for doing it until it died down.

Unfortunately now it wont let up because we haven't made the decision !!!

We are the architect of our own downfall in the amateurish way we have handled this from the start and it's obvious that we are only doing this to obtain a cheap striker , nothing more nothing less.

Best we an do now is a compromise to allow Evans to train with us until such time his hearing has been completed then take it from there.

The first thing to do then is get rid of Owen as the "fans voice " and replace with somebody who is.

If SC wishes to keep him on the board then that's his choice but it's not the fans choice to have him as our so called representative.

I will still support the club whatever happens , no one man is bigger than the club and eventually they wont be there but i will !!!

If signed potential tenants (and possibly those signed up already) also advertisers of the new stand might think again, the new marketing manager could find things very difficult attracting extra revenue.

Edited by BP1960

What is the actual percentage of fans who dont want him then ? Everyone on here says its the majority but 90% of Latics fans ive spoke to who go to games want him.

I guess we won't know. The poll on here may be indicative but by no means definitive.

It's funny you should say that though about the 90%. Not one of those who I'll go to games with has told me they want him. The general view to is one of upset and disappointment in both the fact we've got ourselves involved and in the manner the whole thing has been conducted and an emerging detachment to the club.

If signed potential tenants (and possibly those signed up already) also advertisers of the new stand might think again, the new marketing manager could find things very difficult attracting extra revenue.

I had correspondence with the club last year about hiring the venue, when it's built, for exhibitions. My organisation holds about six a year and currently uses football grounds including Bolton.My intention was to move the Bolton one to BP and nobody would have batted an eyelid. If i suggest this now I will be laughed out of the room as it would jar so much with our image.

We normally pay around £3000 in total for each day. Currently venues are finding it hard to attract custom, so much so that deals are available and costs are not rising, e.g. one club is giving us 2 rooms for the price of one if we book in advance. It's not a good time to be alienating potential customers and I'm sure it would not only be my organisation that felt this way.

Over the years I have learned through experience never to react with my first thoughts on emotional

issues. My immediate thoughts were ‘FFS No’ but having thought about it more I am now in no doubt

where I stand.

I grew up during times when women who took rape cases to court regularly came out feeling the guilty party. Men were acquitted because the woman looked or dressed a certain way and were obviously ‘asking for it’. I am happy that there is now improved protection for women where ‘no means no’ and the capacity for an individual to give consent is given consideration in judgements. The need for both male and female to think more about the consequences of their Saturday night actions is a step in the right direction in both rape cases and for society in general. Yes there will be injustices, always have been always will, but to go back to the way things were is a place we don’t want to go. The best advice I was given was not to put yourself at risk of harm or injustice or to go into a situation when you are willing and able to accept the consequences.

Whilst there are some who worryingly suggest signing Ched Evans based on the possibility of his ‘innocence’, the basis for arguments on the thread has mostly been a combination of the recognition of the severity of the crime and his ability to ply his trade during his rehabilitation/following his time served.

I totally agree that it is essential that society supports reformed offenders who have stayed on the right side of the law. Forgiveness and the offer of hope to offenders who conform to (what is considered) acceptable behaviour, and then go on contribute to society, is for the greater good of a modern society. Acceptable behaviour does require the showing remorse and not harassing the victim.

I have always hated it when people say of football ‘aye but football is different’ when they try to justify why football should be treated different to other commercial organisations (e.g. the payment of creditors when clubs go bust). Unfortunately, I found myself saying just this when trying to justify why CE should not be allowed to be rehabilitated back into football. I have problems when the rehabilitation process itself puts communities at risk or is detrimental to society (e.g. what do with child offenders when they have completed their time). I’m in no way suggesting that CE poses a risk toanyone who goes to a football match, but the dynamics of a football crowd are such that it would inevitably create a more hostile environment than if he wasn’t there to the detriment of the thousands of other people present. For a convicted rapist to play professional football will inevitably result in hate filled chanting that cross the boundaries of banter. Women attend matches now more than they did before and chants about rape/saying no and even the sight of a rapist would make them feel threatened/uncomfortable. Those that had been victims of rape themselves do not deserve the unnecessary reminders when the watch TV or go to a match.

Signing CE would bring with it an opportunity for EVERY other club and their supporters and society in general to feel justified in hating everything associated with Oldham Athletic Football Club. If anyone believes their matchday experience would not change for the worse they either kid themselves or have very broad shoulders. The ‘family club’ tag will be lost for a generation and any remnants of a family matchday experience will be lost to vitriolic chants associated with rape. Every time you mention you’re an Oldham fan you know what the next question is going to be. I’ve already had to have a difficult conversation with my 2 boys that I hadn’t planned having for another couple of years. I have brought my kids up not to hold football players as role models (although they have come back at me with Ribery) so the role model argument doesn’t work for me.

The only ‘good’ that will come out of it is one person being rehabilitated through football and another individual making or saving money. So when you put CE rehabilitation it in the context of a greater good it simply doesn’t work in football from a matchday experience alone. This is before you bring into the argument sponsorship and the showing of remorse.

So I have concluded that Ched Evans deserves the right to be rehabilitated into society but not in football. He should seek another trade, he is young and can chose alternative career path. Like other sports personalities that have fallen on the wrong side of the law or rules he shouldn’t bring further disrepute to the sport that provided him with a great opportunity. If the club wish to sign him then itwon’t be in my name and I have no desire to listen to rape related chants for 90minutes. If he believes he is innocent and wishes to clear his name, that choice remains open to him.

This is pathetic....

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9634036/league-one-and-two-clubs-say-no-to-signing-ched-evans

....and I note that the story is no longer deemed important enough to be on the landing page of Sky Sports, BBC Sport, football365 or many other online syndicated football or sport related news destinations.

As soon as this is over, they'll all be off to the next location deemed suitable to set up a circus without any genuine care for the topic, persons, businesses or organisations they are reporting on.

He has become a victim of mob behaviour yes, because they are doing everything they can to stop him going back to football on every occasion he gets looked at. I would add that other players coming out of jail don't seem to have had such a following as this guy...

None of them were convicted of RAPE.

How can so many people have a blind spot about this?

Edited by HarryBosch

Posted · Hidden by Stevie_J, January 6, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by Stevie_J, January 6, 2015 - No reason given

Lee Hughes got into the car knowing full well he was in no fit state to drive, he then did what he did and then fled the scene only handing himself in when sobering up.

Ched Evans IMO didnt set out to rape the girl he was just following her groin area thats the difference.

We're going to be on the Jeremy Vine show (radio two). How ironic, given the history of the BBC, that bastion of moral virtue. Send in your emails now!

Imagine the bbc and the church questioning anyone's morals on rape? Dear me. Anyone working for them should look at themselves first.

Hughes' crime was worse. He showed remorse, but it was worse.

That's been done to death.

My point, and concern, was that so many people throughout all of this have demonstrated that they don't seem to view rape as seriously as most do (and, in my opinion, should).

Hughes' crime was worse. He showed remorse, but it was worse.

Absolutely. I was extremely uncomfortable with the signing of Hughes however he was remorseful, wanted to reintegrate to society and right his wrongs. I didn't want us to be the club who gave him that chance.

Unfortunately over time Hughes also showed himself up as the arrogant tosser he clearly was before the crime culminating in the infamous dogs night and him leaving under a cloud with us being forever remembered as the club that signed him upon his release.

I don't want the same tag with Evans and history appears to have taught us nothing here. No good can come of this association and it appears on the face of it that we have chucked a promising season right down the :censored:ter for whatever reason.

Absolutely. I was extremely uncomfortable with the signing of Hughes however he was remorseful, wanted to reintegrate to society and right his wrongs. I didn't want us to be the club who gave him that chance.

Unfortunately over time Hughes also showed himself up as the arrogant tosser he clearly was before the crime culminating in the infamous dogs night and him leaving under a cloud with us being forever remembered as the club that signed him upon his release.

I don't want the same tag with Evans and history appears to have taught us nothing here. No good can come of this association and it appears on the face of it that we have chucked a promising season right down the :censored:ter for whatever reason.

Yep, Hughes eventually reverted to type, albeit with less serious consequences.

If we think all this is bad, imagine if we do sign Evans and he does the same.

Yep, Hughes eventually reverted to type, albeit with less serious consequences.

If we think all this is bad, imagine if we do sign Evans and he does the same.

I'm not for one second saying that Evans will revert to type but why do we want to 'be that club' again when it wasn't exactly a roaring success first time around