One for the elder Latics fans

Some of the elder statesmen of Boundary Park may remember Alan Williams who played for us from 1961 - 1965 as a centre half, many more will remember his son, Gary who played for us in the late 80's early 90's.

Sad to say that Alan passed away this morning, surrounded by his family. 

RIP Alan Williams

Alun Williams was a great Centre Half. He was a Welsh international and came to Latics via Bristol City. One of the hard old school players who tackled hard and took no prisoners. He reminded me of Gregan, however his tackles he made would not be tolerated these days. R.I.P ALUN WILLIAMS you gave me and my family a lot of pleasure watching you play. A truly great Legend of OAFC.

Edited by Smiler13
Bad grammar

He was one of my idols, a centre back who could have played at top level.

Consistent, powerful in the air, sharp tackler, good balance, quick feet and a neat passer of the ball.

His son Gary also served the club well.

RIP.

Really sad. A hard yet classy centre half. Signed long with Peter McCall, a wing half, from Bristol City . Yet another from that exciting early 60s Jack Rowley team to have passed . Rollo, Johnstone, Lister, Branagan, Phoenix , Spurdle, Ledger - RIP

Until now.... I didn't realise Gary's dad played for us.... I met Gary at the 25 year pinch me season anniversary event.... and recall rejoicing in a goal he scored in front of the Chaddy End against Leeds in a League Cup game we won 4-2 after ET, which was on TV with Gerald Sindstadt commentating. Sheridan played for Leeds that night.

Fantasticplayer and a gentlman. Remember playing Bristol (can't recall Rovers or City) Late 50 's or early 60 's it was a night match (cup I think)and Alun made a point of speaking to me on Station platform.To a young fan travelling alone actually it made my day.  RIP Alun.hink reason for it being a midweek match was originally mean't to be play ed on the previous Saturday but was postphoned due to weather.

Edited by pk200

Sad to hear this news. He was a brilliant, rugged and fearless centre half, who was unlucky not to gain England under 23 honours when at Bristol City. In four seasons at BP he missed only ten games. Gained promotion with Latics and Swansea. I was thrilled to meet him on the concourse at Wembley before the Littlewoods Cup Final and thanked him for all he did for Latics.

Bristolatics, I'm reliably informed that the pubs he ran were the Miners at Farrington Gurney and the White Horse in West Street.

Condolences to Gary and the family.

1963-64 team picture:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/diego_sideburns/34750240705/in/dateposted/

Alun is far left on the back row. BTW, Jim Bowie, who sits two rows behind me at BP, is second from left on the front row.

A sad day as yet another passing of the 60s team which won promotion from Div 4. For all you younger fans the best player he would be compared with is our captain Peter Clark. Same build,power,heading ability,tackling,scored similar goals and always gave 100%.   The 63/64 team photo didn't include the main man,Bobby Johnstone.

1 hour ago, Wee Bobby said:

A sad day as yet another passing of the 60s team which won promotion from Div 4. For all you younger fans the best player he would be compared with is our captain Peter Clark. Same build,power,heading ability,tackling,scored similar goals and always gave 100%.   The 63/64 team photo didn't include the main man,Bobby Johnstone.

Mix in some Sean Gregan as well I think.

I spent part of 1998 working in Bristol and found out that he ran a pub near the city centre called the Horse and Groom. Spent many an evening in there listening to his stories of playing alongside Jim Friz etc and watching the tail end of the 98 season on Sky. Lovely bloke. RIP.

9 hours ago, Diego_Sideburns said:

Sad to hear this news. He was a brilliant, rugged and fearless centre half, who was unlucky not to gain England under 23 honours when at Bristol City. In four seasons at BP he missed only ten games. Gained promotion with Latics and Swansea. I was thrilled to meet him on the concourse at Wembley before the Littlewoods Cup Final and thanked him for all he did for Latics.

Bristolatics, I'm reliably informed that the pubs he ran were the Miners at Farrington Gurney and the White Horse in West Street.

Condolences to Gary and the family.

1963-64 team picture:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/diego_sideburns/34750240705/in/dateposted/

Alun is far left on the back row. BTW, Jim Bowie, who sits two rows behind me at BP, is second from left on the front row.

Bloody hell Diego, I didn't realise Jim Bowie watched us, one of my first heroes.

back on thread  condolences to all Alan's family, never saw him play as it was before my time, but his son did us proud.

4 hours ago, TH2002 said:

I spent part of 1998 working in Bristol and found out that he ran a pub near the city centre called the Horse and Groom. Spent many an evening in there listening to his stories of playing alongside Jim Friz etc and watching the tail end of the 98 season on Sky. Lovely bloke. RIP.

His lad, Gary ran the Horse and Groom although his Dad did pop in from time to time 

2 hours ago, Downender said:

His lad, Gary ran the Horse and Groom although his Dad did pop in from time to time 

Must have been a staffing thing when I went in. Alun was behind the bar, Gary was behind the counter in the shop next door. Quite surreal for one of my Dad's heroes to be pulling my pints and one of my heroes to be selling me Marlboro next door. 

On 18/05/2017 at 8:29 PM, LaticsPete said:

Really sad. A hard yet classy centre half. Signed long with Peter McCall, a wing half, from Bristol City . Yet another from that exciting early 60s Jack Rowley team to have passed . Rollo, Johnstone, Lister, Branagan, Phoenix , Spurdle, Ledger - RIP

Not forgetting Jimmy Frizzell either.

sad news but it reminds me again of the song we used to sing to the tune of blaze away

we are supporters of the Latics

Jack Rowley is our king

with ALAN WILLIAMS in the centre

and peter phoenix as the wizard of the wing

ken branagan is our full back

bobby johnstone's at inside right

and lister is the crasher

for the boys in blue and whiite

good old days

27 minutes ago, Ted said:

sad news but it reminds me again of the song we used to sing to the tune of blaze away

we are supporters of the Latics

Jack Rowley is our king

with ALAN WILLIAMS in the centre

and peter phoenix as the wizard of the wing

ken branagan is our full back

bobby johnstone's at inside right

and lister is the crasher

for the boys in blue and whiite

good old days

Now that has brought some memories back. 

16 hours ago, disjointed said:

Bloody hell Diego, I didn't realise Jim Bowie watched us, one of my first heroes....

He doesn't get involved in any of the past player stuff organised by the Club. He's just like any other long-suffering supporter and very approachable.

P.S. He's always more optimistic than me.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns
Afterthought.

On 19/05/2017 at 7:30 PM, disjointed said:

Bloody hell Diego, I didn't realise Jim Bowie watched us, one of my first heroes.

I see him in uppermill regularly, always smiling, I really should say hello to him and see if he fancies talking Latics