Listening to LJ on Latics player. He states that on our budget to bring someone in there is always going to be some risk to the deal whether that be an -

injury plagued last season or two

Someone who is young and a rough diamond.

A player who has fell out of favour and has something to prove.

Bearing in mind the first statement about injuries would a Will Hoskins or the third statement a Chris Eagles be pushing the wage limit to much? Both I am led to believe are available on a free and would be marquee signings for a league 1 club of our stature.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are the manager of a football team with a promising young striker. In preseason he scores six goals in seven games. The season starts and after five games nothing. Are you confused?

Exactly. Change of formation or arrival of Forte has affected JCH and LJ needs to earn his wage by sorting this as a matter of urgency.

I really want LJ to succeed. I did too with Dickov as both are likeable chaps. However both seem to talk the talk but can't back up those words with effective action. I'm starting to get the same feel of Emperor's new clothes with him like I did with Dickov.

Another big question is where are these links to Liverpool, Newcastle, Man City etc that have been referred to?! Other clubs at our level are acquiring effective youngsters on loan, allowing them to bed in but we've struck nothing yet. There was talk that one loan fell through so where's Plan B or C? For someone who has connections (his great-uncle is a well respected scout called John Griffin who discovered Collymore, Ian Wright) the acquisitions are ex-players thus far and not really setting the world alight - Kelly - or injured/not match fit - Noble.

OK we're only three games into the season but we're losing pace with the other teams and I was expecting LJ to have utilised pre-season to have progressed from last season. I'm impatient, very impatient and I'm confident that other fans - on mass - will quickly have the same impatience!

Exactly. Change of formation or arrival of Forte has affected JCH and LJ needs to earn his wage by sorting this as a matter of urgency.

I really want LJ to succeed. I did too with Dickov as both are likeable chaps. However both seem to talk the talk but can't back up those words with effective action. I'm starting to get the same feel of Emperor's new clothes with him like I did with Dickov.

Another big question is where are these links to Liverpool, Newcastle, Man City etc that have been referred to?! Other clubs at our level are acquiring effective youngsters on loan, allowing them to bed in but we've struck nothing yet. There was talk that one loan fell through so where's Plan B or C? For someone who has connections (his great-uncle is a well respected scout called John Griffin who discovered Collymore, Ian Wright) the acquisitions are ex-players thus far and not really setting the world alight - Kelly - or injured/not match fit - Noble.

OK we're only three games into the season but we're losing pace with the other teams and I was expecting LJ to have utilised pre-season to have progressed from last season. I'm impatient, very impatient and I'm confident that other fans - on mass - will quickly have the same impatience![/quote

I thought Forte played in most of the friendlies during JCH's 'purple' patch.

Cardiff have just signed a lad from non league, he's unlikely to get in their first team for some time, could he do a job here on loan? it helps both clubs, Cardiff in his development, and the Latics who may find that elusive goal poacher.

I should think he would be a cheap option too.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/new-striker-danny-johnson-already-7414336

We've already got two of those in Rhys Turner and Morgan-smith.....it's experience we need and not another 'project'.

Having watched the highlights only, a quality striker would have made a big difference to that game. If only 1 out of those 4 good chances we wasted in the box was converted then we'd have a different outlook on the game completely. It seems like Johnson has gambled on JCH having a break through season and it's not worked yet.

Tactics are always going to be tinkered with early on in the season, something that may have worked well in pre season might not work in reality. Just see Manchester United for a good example of that. 3 of our back 4 are different as are both central midfielders. It was always going to take a few games for those areas to settle down. But yet again, there's no room for patience, we demand instant entertaining, winning football.

I'm not saying there's nothing wrong or nothing needs changing. He's a young manager learning the trade so I'd be shocked if he wasn't making mistakes. However, bring in a goalscorer and we could see a massive difference. Whether we have the money or there's someone out there that fits the bill is another thing entirely.

You are the manager of a football team with a promising young striker. In preseason he scores six goals in seven games. The season starts and after five games nothing. Are you confused?

No, we were playing friendly's where it doesn't really matter.

I don't buy this at all. A good striker isn't one that just finishes chances that are created for him, it's one that moves better than others and gets into positions that demand the ball being played to him, making runs that cry out for a through ball and getting in front of defenders to turn an average cross into a goal. If you put a better striker in the team not only will the chances created be converted more often but there'll be more chances in the first place irrespective of tactics.

Which brings me on to tactics...

So hang on, if the tactics are so bad what happened for the last 20 minutes? Let me guess, Tommy Wright changed it? Or the players ignored the tactics imposed on them?

Or maybe they finally started playing as instructed? I have no idea, but you're contradicting yourself.

I'm as frustrated as anyone and I'm sick of this league but this constant sniping at players/tactics this early in the season is ridiculous. Especially when you look at the opposition we've had so far.

Strikers like Charlie Mac & Adam Rooney?

Strikers like Charlie Mac & Adam Rooney?

I don't really get your point. Are you saying that a better striker than what we have wouldn't do those things I said and wouldn't have converted any of those 4 decent chances at Preston? Or wouldn't create any openings for themselves or make better runs that create more chances? Or just that we've had good strikers and they didn't score so it must be Johnson's fault?

Personally I would have kept Rooney but sometimes players and clubs don't click for whatever reason. It's happened with plenty of others - O'Grady, Davies etc have had better form elsewhere. But Beckett, Hughes and Porter have all had great spells with us. Bit of luck and timing needed.

Well, it's such a hard one to watch as its 2 clubs who you love to hate, but i'm watching the MK Mongs vs ManUre on sky. Sooo many half & half scalves in the crowd!!!!!

Anyway - Wilson has come on for ashockingly poor United youth / reserve side, and immediately made a difference.

He scored on his 1st team debut and has looked way better than his teammates in 10mins so far.

Would they send him to League One? Or would they want Championship minimum for him if he went on loan?

On this showing; neither Welbeck nor Hernandez would displace the poor JCH from us though...

Edited by slystallone

Well, it's such a hard one to watch as its 2 clubs who you love to hate, but i'm watching the MK Mongs vs ManUre on sky. Sooo many half & half scalves in the crowd!!!!!

Anyway - Wilson has come on for ashockingly poor United youth / reserve side, and immediately made a difference.

He scored on his 1st team debut and has looked way better than his teammates in 10mins so far.

Would they send him to League One? Or would they want Championship minimum for him if he went on loan?

On this showing; neither Welbeck nor Hernandez would displace the poor JCH from us though...

The disbanding of reserve leagues for under 21 leagues (or under 18s in Latics case) is a big mistake IMO..young players can learn a lot from playing with and against some old heads.

Edited by BP1960

I thought the point of pre season was to find out who was playing well. If six goals from JCH isn't relevant then would it have been better if he had scored none? There must be a striker in there but not it seems when it matters. Saying sort it out doesn't make it happen. I would be confused but would not want to give up yet.

The other possibility is that LJ manages with greater freedom when it doesn't matter with his teams given a positive message 'go out and win'. Come the first league 1 game the Manager freezes and becomes cautious asking his team not to lose, not to make mistakes, keep your position and so on.

I felt Dickov failed because he became a cautious manager and I hope LJ is not going the same way.

I don't really get your point. Are you saying that a better striker than what we have wouldn't do those things I said and wouldn't have converted any of those 4 decent chances at Preston? Or wouldn't create any openings for themselves or make better runs that create more chances? Or just that we've had good strikers and they didn't score so it must be Johnson's fault?

Personally I would have kept Rooney but sometimes players and clubs don't click for whatever reason. It's happened with plenty of others - O'Grady, Davies etc have had better form elsewhere. But Beckett, Hughes and Porter have all had great spells with us. Bit of luck and timing needed.

I was making the point that the striker you described - right place, right time due to movement & reading of game - both of those 2 had that, yet they were released. Those 2 are as good as a club like Latics will be able to afford, yet Rooney was hounded out & Charlie Mac not given a chance when back fit. Both of those would have had a couple this year if they had been in JCH boots.

Thats the striker you need in the current formation, not one who cant head a ball straight, doesnt move in the box & expects the ball in to be plumb on his left foot or he doesnt connect, and only looks like scoring from 25 yards.

I was making the point that the striker you described - right place, right time due to movement & reading of game - both of those 2 had that, yet they were released. Those 2 are as good as a club like Latics will be able to afford, yet Rooney was hounded out & Charlie Mac not given a chance when back fit. Both of those would have had a couple this year if they had been in JCH boots.

Thats the striker you need in the current formation, not one who cant head a ball straight, doesnt move in the box & expects the ball in to be plumb on his left foot or he doesnt connect, and only looks like scoring from 25 yards.

Fair enough. Charlie Mac didn't work out maybe because he was far from his family and having a few injuries didn't help. But he did miss a few good chances too so I'm not convinced he had 20 goals in him.

I definitely agree about Rooney, his record suggested he should have done much better. Not sure what happened there really and maybe if we'd stuck with him he'd be benefitting now. But the consensus at the time seemed to be that it was good news we got rid of him. Until he started scoring for Aberdeen then it was a terrible decision!

From todays interview it's clear that LJ is looking to bring in a striker from a list of players, whom at the moment we can't afford. He is hoping at least one of them will panic and drop their wage demands in order to get a club. Problem is, that player will also come into the range of other L1 clubs who could still outbid us. He admits that more and more clubs are waiting as he is, Balckpool being the extreme example.