Today's S*n 2-page spread article

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

Wouldn’t it be nice if our local journalists actually did some digging for once instead of just rewording things posted on the official site hours previously? Maybe then we wouldn’t have to rely on the gutter press breaking these sensationalist stories, we really do miss Matt Chambers

The problem the local journalists face is that if they start asking 'difficult' questions they would be frozen out overnight - and that'd be the end of them earning a wage to pay the mortgage etc.

It's possible that they would pick up info and pass it on to national publications - but the chances of Latics gossip making big news in national papers is obviously slim. So it wouldn't be worth their while.

1 hour ago, bozman said:

Yes, it does.

From what I can see the article is a mixture of things that we know are not true and rumours lifted off this site (e.g. Maouche on £4k a week, and the Fane suspension). Whilst the rumours on this site may well be true, I'd wager this is where they got it from rather than a "Boundary Park insider".

May be Dale fans paid the Sun to publish the article with the left over cash after they'd bought that weird Spanish guy's flight ?

I posted months ago that the group of 'French lads' were on excess of 20k a week between them as well as the expense of putting them up in hotels.

Clubs fucked.

17 minutes ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Milton Keynes...

That’s shocking if true. 

And shows a complete lack of professionalism. The only prep work Wellens should be doing this week is prep for Saturday’s match. After that, he’s free to attend any interview he pleases. 

I hope it’s not true.

Edited by PlayItLivo

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Far be it from me to point the finger, but this has all the hallmarks of a disgruntled manager, who knows he is being binned off, tipping off a journalist...

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

I know it’s cynical but my initial thought was it’s Wellens getting his excuses in early 

I started to think this before I was half-way through it. There were no surprises in there (just bits that had already been rumoured or were common knowledge) and the only one not being blamed was the manager who would be the only one to gain from it. I've been thinking all week that our team selection, tactics & support tomorrow is utterly irrelevant - our league position will be decided elsewhere.

Lemsagam passed the fit and proper test didn't he?  The EFL took an age with the buyout so surely the guy demonstrated he had funds to buy the club and continue running it?

Also on topic of Fane - do we exactly know what was discussed between him and Lemsagam leading to suspension?  The team haven't performed so if the owner wishes to tell a few home truths then that's his prerogative.  

Interesting the article suggests Wellens not aware of the suspension - who confirmed this?  Wellens himself?  An unknown source who's spoken to Wellens?

Seems like a disgruntled employee who's got an axe to grind - one who's job is on the line or due to be terminated.... or an ex-employee who's leaving their post soon and a few quid for some 'inside knowledge'

I'm not worrying until August and then only on basis of what happens in the summer on the recruitment front.

Edited by Midsblue

shows that all is not well, hence the rank performances. thats why i think if we are expecting a massive last day push from the boys and management it may not be coming. also surprised to see wellens constantly saying he's cool and calm about things even though we have been terrible and facing a win or bust game. i think he has his eye on other things and relegation wont be the be all and end all for him. also heard davies is still hugely pissed off at the rejection of a move in jan by AL that would see him earn a fair whack per week. Hope for the clubs sake we do it sat but honestly wont be surprised to see another dreadful display

17 minutes ago, Midsblue said:

Lemsagam passed the fit and proper test didn't he?  The EFL took an age with the buyout so surely the guy demonstrated he had funds to buy the club and continue running it?

Also on topic of Fane - do we exactly know what was discussed between him and Lemsagam leading to suspension?  The team haven't performed so if the owner wishes to tell a few home truths then that's his prerogative.  

Interesting the article suggests Wellens not aware of the suspension - who confirmed this?  Wellens himself?  An unknown source who's spoken to Wellens?

Seems like a disgruntled employee who's got an axe to grind - one who's job is on the line or due to be terminated.... or an ex-employee who's leaving their post soon and a few quid for some 'inside knowledge'

I'm not worrying until August and then only on basis of what happens in the summer on the recruitment front.

I wonder who that could be? Someone good enough with spin to make it look like the current manager :mmm:

I don't see Wellens instigating this the day before a crucial match.

15 minutes ago, jorvik_latic said:

I wonder who that could be? Someone good enough with spin to make it look like the current manager :mmm:

I don't see Wellens instigating this the day before a crucial match.

Well to me its obvious who's ran to the press. There is one big disgruntled player at the club at the moment who's been suspended by the chairman F---E

Its an easy guess.

1 hour ago, LaticsLegend said:

My initial thoughts too. 

Or a disgruntled player suspended by the Chairman.

I do'nt think its the manager because if it was AL would see to it that he never works again in football 

Edited by Smiler13

13 minutes ago, Smiler13 said:

I do'nt think its the manager because if it was AL would see to it that he never works again in football 

How? ...but then regardless of that, managers use 'friendly journalists' all the time to leak stories that will further their cause at either their current club to get them to another one.

1 hour ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Milton Keynes...

He is under contract for 2 years so the only way he could have interviews elsewhere if AL and the club allowed an approach. 

Edited by palmer1

1 minute ago, palmer1 said:

He is under contract so the only way he could have interviews elsewhere if AL and the club allowed an approach. 

If he’s been told he won’t be in charge next season then he probably has been allowed.

Morally though it doesn’t sit right that he’s going for another job when we have such an enormous game tomorrow. His mind should be solely fixed on getting us safe.

Its football though and all morals have vanished from the game.

2 hours ago, Lee Sinnott said:

Far be it from me to point the finger, but this has all the hallmarks of a disgruntled manager, who knows he is being binned off, tipping off a journalist...

Or an ex-employee who has allegedly been banned from the club for feeding stuff back to Corney............. 

The wages not being paid as that always break first on hete or twitter and we have enough players or staff who cant waif to tell the world when the club fucjpk up.

As for Fane that rumour broke on here first so I'd imagine he is probably injured,  AL is a smart business man so knows you can't suspend a player for being poor which is what ghe article states. That cunt of journalist working for that shit rag has put 2 and 2 together from social media  and got 9.

4 minutes ago, oafc_lover said:

If he’s been told he won’t be in charge next season then he probably has been allowed.

Morally though it doesn’t sit right that he’s going for another job when we have such an enormous game tomorrow. His mind should be solely fixed on getting us safe.

Its football though and all morals have vanished from the game.

If he's been told he is leaving then he has every right to do what he wants but for it not to hit the press is strange don't you think? He seemed certain he was building for here next season with no hint of change in his demeanour in his press conference. He may be leaving but I'd bet MK Dons aren't even interviewing at this point. 

So this is what it says, for those that have not read it:

Ken Lawrence.

"Oldham boss Richie Wellens is working in a climate of chaos as he bids to save Athletic from the drop.

He takes his 5th bottom side to Northampton tomorrow, knowing a win will guarantee survival.

but if they fail to notch up a victory they know Rochdale are waiting in the  wings to condemn them to League One with a better result.

The season began with 7 straight defeats under John Sheridan. If it ends in defeat then Wellens could be sacked too.

Yet the events of the past week underline the difficulties he has faced under new owner Abdallah Lemsagem, who took over in January.

The problems are such that the Football League have been monitoring te situation.

And former owner, Simon Corney(right), who sold the club for around £3 million is understood to be so upset with reports of events he is thinking of trying to buy his way back in. [really?!!]

Eight days ago Wellens discovered Moroccan businessman Lemsagem had suspended French midfielder  Ousmane Fane midfielder without him knowing.

He called the 24 year old into his office 48 hours before a 3-0 home defeat to Southend and criticised the midfielder - who had just played his 46th game of the season- for his poor efforts.

Yet Wellens was planning to play him in Saturdays' drab 0-0 draw with Doncaster.

Fane has complained to the PFA over his treatment.

Meanwhile the Latics's players found out a week ago that 3rd time in 8 months they had not been paid.

When SunSport contacted the club yesterday, they insisted they had now been paid.

Wellens also had to deal with another crisis in January - and one that almost certainly made the relegation fight harder.

The 38 year old's 3 best players, Kean Bryan, Eoin Doyle and Jack Byrne all had to return to parent clubs Manchester city, Preston and Wigan.

Deals were arranged to bring back Bryan and Doyle and key midfielder was signed on a two-and-a-half year deal.

But by then the club had been put under a player registration embargo having breached Football League Financial Fair play Rules despite making the squad wait for the wages before Christmas.

The only way Wellens could bring them back was to reduce his wage bill to accommodate them. [wow extraordinary !!]

And that meant he ad to dump 8 players in 2 days. Including experienced Captain Peter Clarke who joined Bury on loan.

The delay meant the trio missed a run of 3 games during which the Latics took just 1 point.

to make matters worse, striker Doyle who scored 14 goals before Christmas missed 3 months after developing  a blood clot in his chest following a weights session. {that's not public knowledge is it?]

Yet within the squad remain 3 players - all free agents understood to have been to have been brought into the club in the summer on the recommendation of former agent Lemsagem - who have barely kicked a ball.

Mohamed Maouche, a central midfielder played the last 10 mins of a 1-0 defeat to Charlton on  Jan 6th.

He has not figured since, yet is reported to be the highest paid player on £4,000 per week. [£208,00 per year]

Winger Gyamfi Kyeremeh joined from Eintract  Braunschweig II and got the first 81 mins of a 2-0 defeat to Wigan on 19th Aug but has not played again in the League.

Nor has forward Abdelhakin Omrani, who arrived from Sedan and was given 7 games under Wellens but last played in a 3-2 loss to Scunthorpe on Oct 28.

Squad problems have not been the only headache for the boss.

Oldham's Chapel Road training ground, like the pitch next door at Boundary Park became what an inside described as a "cow patch" after months of bad weather.

This has meant Wellens has spent recent months training his players on artificial pitches hired hired whenever a spare one can be found.

Lemsagem, instrumental in the sacking of Sheridan in the summer, launched a wide search for a successor, with superstar names such as Paul Scholes and Walter Zenga in the frame.

Wellens got the role, but SunSport understands there are now doubts about his future at a club that may be facing one too many crisis after a decade of decline.

The Football League spokesman confirmed that Latics problems are much on the radar.

He revealed "The FL has been made aware of some issues regarding Oldham Athletic and are in regular dialgoue with regard to finding solutions."

When contacted by Sunsport, other to insist the players had been paid, and Oldham spokesman said "We are not able to comment on these matters"

Edited by singe