England Squad

19 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

I was going to suggest them too. They're very similar to us in standard and they have a matchwinner in Ronaldo as do we in Kane. They're also like us in that they have the odd tournament where they do well and reach the QF / SF stage and others where they do totally shite and fall out at the group stage.

They won the Euros in 2016 so I think that ends any comparison to England arguments. 

Was it not so long ago that the Germans turned up with a young inexperienced squad? Every good team needs to be built from foundations, maybe this will be the squad that stays together and matures into that good team. Give them a chance.

2 hours ago, ChrisRichard said:

Ashley Young is absolutely and truly an awful player. He can run in a straight line with the ball but has no end product. He can't tackle. Oh and he's a knob to boot. 

Not much to like there. 

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

?

58 minutes ago, ChrisRichard said:

Why the thoughtful face TBD?

I was trying to decide if you were actually serious...

Young has started 35 games for ManU this season, scoring 2 with 5 assists and he has an 80% past success percentage. 

Not a bad return for a wing back I’m thinking.

Can’t say whether he’s a knob though ?

2 hours ago, ChrisRichard said:

Ashley Young is absolutely and truly an awful player. He can run in a straight line with the ball but has no end product. He can't tackle. Oh and he's a knob to boot. 

Not much to like there. 

Through gritted teeth, I have to say Young's been very good this season and deserves to be there. 

He's a fucking dick though, I'll give you that. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, oafc_lover said:

Still in shock at Welbeck going. 

5 goals in the league all season gets you to the World Cup nowadays so there’s still hope for Rhys Murphy.

Tbf he doesn't do bad in an England shirt, gives defenders something to think about with mobility and pace.

I'm not sure anyone has been unlucky really, Shelvey is a walking red card and not great either.

I think Welbeck is the biggest surprise inclusion for me, he's almost permanently injured, probably a reflection on the alternatives  TBH.

Lallana is never fit, and you could guarantee if he was fit to start the first game he wouldn't be fit to start the second.

Wilshere always likely to break down at any moment. I have no problem not taking perennial crocks.

I think the squad looks desperately short of quality, especially in midfield, think we will do well to get out of the group, certainly no better than that.

14 minutes ago, Hometownclub said:

I'm not sure anyone has been unlucky really, Shelvey is a walking red card and not great either.

I think Welbeck is the biggest surprise inclusion for me, he's almost permanently injured, probably a reflection on the alternatives  TBH.

Lallana is never fit, and you could guarantee if he was fit to start the first game he wouldn't be fit to start the second.

Wilshere always likely to break down at any moment. I have no problem not taking perennial crocks.

I think the squad looks desperately short of quality, especially in midfield, think we will do well to get out of the group, certainly no better than that.

Wilshere is perhaps the only one whose selection I’m bothered enough to get irked about, because he’s actually a very good player

Injury prone it’s true, but we’re so lacking in quality and dynamism in midfield - he offers both. The whole point of being allowed a big squad is that you can take a few crocks.

1 hour ago, TheBigDog said:

I wonder if Southgate has the cojones to pick a starting eleven like:

Pickford,

Walker, Stones, Maguire, 

Dier,

Sterling, Henderson, Loftus-Cheek, Lingard, Trippier,

Kane

?

If he plays Sterling I will walk to Russia and carry Southgate home before he gets the third group game.

Wilshire I think has played more games this season than he ever has. Still the talksport lemmings think he's a crock. 

I'd have gambled on Lallana or Wilshire given we have no midfielders who can pick a pass / create. If we play a team ala Iceland who pack players behind I cannot see a player who can break that down.

2 hours ago, Hometownclub said:

I don’t think Shelvey has even had a yellow in 2018. Could be wrong though.

The rest I agree with.

Surely someone like Charlie Austin would have been a better shout than Welbeck?!

1 minute ago, Clifford said:

If he plays Sterling I will walk to Russia and carry Southgate home before he gets the third group game.

Wasn't a great fan of his but Pep's influence has made him twice the player he was previously. I'm all for picking player's in form so can see Alli not given a starting spot. Overall, with the likes of Henderson and Dier in there, I think we lack the flair to punish poor teams and will rely on playing on the break.

9 minutes ago, Clifford said:

2 minutes ago, Bobledgersheart said:

Wasn't a great fan of his but Pep's influence has made him twice the player he was previously. I'm all for picking player's in form so can see Alli not given a starting spot. Overall, with the likes of Henderson and Dier in there, I think we lack the flair to punish poor teams and will rely on playing on the break.

If we get the Raheem Sterling who played for Citeh this season then we have a decent player. I have a hope that a player with a double barrelled surname will be the big surprise in England’s team...?

37 minutes ago, Clifford said:

Wilshire I think has played more games this season than he ever has. Still the talksport lemmings think he's a crock. 

I'd have gambled on Lallana or Wilshire given we have no midfielders who can pick a pass / create. If we play a team ala Iceland who pack players behind I cannot see a player who can break that down.

Wilshere started about ten league games, didn't he?  I wouldn't take Wilshere on the basis that I don't rate him.  I would have taken Lallana but I appreciate it's a risk after two injuries in quick succession.

If we aren't picking Alli I can't wait to see who steps in. What is he? Must be a top five provider of chances and one of the better scoring midfielders in the whole of the top division. And that is a bad season. 

I have to admit, this is pretty much the squad I'd have taken. The odd one here or there maybe debatable but none of any real consequence.

3 minutes ago, yarddog73 said:

Can't work out whether your serious or having a troll :whoosh:

I was kind of hoping for an answer with, "Sunday pub," in it.

He is actually decent though, he'd create more than some of those nonentities.

31 minutes ago, OldhamSheridan said:

If we aren't picking Alli I can't wait to see who steps in. What is he? Must be a top five provider of chances and one of the better scoring midfielders in the whole of the top division. And that is a bad season. 

I have to admit, this is pretty much the squad I'd have taken. The odd one here or there maybe debatable but none of any real consequence.

Alli's the most talented midfielder we've got.  Unfortunately he seems to be in a bit of a dip in terms of form.  I'd still have him in the starting eleven.