England Squad

I think the bottom line is that, whilst there are a few debatable selections, the majority of that squad picks itself. 

The lack of  depth in England is really  brought in to focus by this list I saw earlier of some of the players France have left out.

Benzema

Payet

Martial 

Lacazette 

Laporte 

Coman 

Gignac

Rabiot 

Ben Yedder 

39 minutes ago, leeslover said:

Never lost a header and perhaps a better passer than anyone in that squad 

Exactly. If Stones was worth £50M, what's Tarky worth? And, for me, Jones is an average Championship player. As bozman and others have said, it shows how little we have to pick from these days.

I don't think the squad is as bad as people are making out. Sterling and Walker have had a good season at the run away champions and Delph and Stones have played their part too. Henderson is captain of one of the European Cup finalists. Plus you have some good players from United and Tottenham in there too, especially Kane. I doubt we will win it but we have enough quality to give any team a good game. It is pleasing to see some younger players in the squad and no Joe Hart is always a bonus!

15 minutes ago, Oh Heck C-Beck said:

I don't think the squad is as bad as people are making out. Sterling and Walker have had a good season at the run away champions and Delph and Stones have played their part too. Henderson is captain of one of the European Cup finalists. Plus you have some good players from United and Tottenham in there too, especially Kane. I doubt we will win it but we have enough quality to give any team a good game. It is pleasing to see some younger players in the squad and no Joe Hart is always a bonus!

I agree with this, although it would have been nicer to see the likes of Cahill and Ashley Young left out for the likes of Tarkowski and Sessegnon/Bertrand and just made sure we got the young lads some tournament experience who will be in and around the squad in 2/4 years. No way are we expected to win this, and then the pressure would have been massively off, and they could have surprised us. Overall though, its not that ridiculous a squad with the crap that we do have.

Can't say I agree with this idea of throwing the kids in I'm not sure the Likes of Phil Foden Sessegnon and  Solanke would benefit from just going and not playing they will be ready in time don't worry and I'm sure they will get their chance. Can't say taking Theo Walcott to the WC in 2006 did him much good really.

We are what we are which is a side that if it punched its weight could get to the quarter finals.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned we are taking 6 full backs Trippier, Alexander Arnold, Walker, Young, Delph, and Rose. You would think if thats the case we must be looking at playing 3 at the back with wing backs pushed on.  

1 minute ago, GlossopLatic said:

Can't say I agree with this idea of throwing the kids in I'm not sure the Likes of Phil Foden Sessegnon and  Solanke would benefit from just going and not playing they will be ready in time don't worry and I'm sure they will get their chance. Can't say taking Theo Walcott to the WC in 2006 did him much good really.

We are what we are which is a side that if it punched its weight could get to the quarter finals.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned we are taking 6 full backs Trippier, Alexander Arnold, Walker, Young, Delph, and Rose. You would think if thats the case we must be looking at playing 3 at the back with wing backs pushed on.  

Aye, I reckon he fancies Walker's pace in a back three. Delph and Young are somewhat flexible as well with regards to position.

1 hour ago, youngen said:

I agree with this, although it would have been nicer to see the likes of Cahill and Ashley Young left out for the likes of Tarkowski and Sessegnon/Bertrand and just made sure we got the young lads some tournament experience who will be in and around the squad in 2/4 years. No way are we expected to win this, and then the pressure would have been massively off, and they could have surprised us. Overall though, its not that ridiculous a squad with the crap that we do have.

Bertrand is 28....

1 hour ago, Bristolatic said:

Problem with Jones, is that he's not improved one iota in the 7(?) years he's been at OT. He was average at best then, and now he's <insert description here>.

Oddly enough Fergie said in 2013 that he could turn out to be the best player Man Utd ever had..... Looks like he retired at the right time 

17 hours ago, TheBigDog said:

And what has happened to Rashford? Confidence is shot to bits.

You have to blame Mourinho for his lack of confidence. Rashford's favoured position is hybrid left winger/inside left so he can cut in and shoot with his right........as against Liverpool.

What did the thick Portuguese fellah do......drop him to accommodate Sanchez and then bit part plays him on the right followed by heavy criticism when team doesn't score.

The same also applies to Shaw who I think is a better attacking wing back than Young who flies down the wing  and stops when a defender confronts him only to pass it back or sideways.