Attendance Improvement Ideas

Even Mandelson would find it hard to put positive 'spin' on those figures, well done for trying. Not a Civil-Servant by any chance?

Not far off :)

I still maintain that they aren't too bad. In league 2, for example, from 1994-2001, the average didn't get above 4,000. It's been above that every year since.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why not drop the season ticket price to sub £200, but keep the match day price the same. im sure if we had 6000 season ticket holders last night the crowd would have been well abouve 5000. but because you have kept the matchday ticket the same, when we have really big matches like leeds and huddersfield we arnt losing money by letting day trippers and away fans in for next to nothing.

could it be a worker?

He said the lower leagues have to be regionalised which is something I have said for years, difficult to work in promotion and relegation but there is a way. How many Stockport, Bury or Rochdale would of been at Bp last night, a damn site more than 150, plus it creates more interest for the home fans.

Time to be selfish.

No, absolutely not, never again!

I'm fairly certain OASIS would feel the same!

EDIT: As for the main question, strippers replacing cheerleaders. Next? B):wub::pimp::gorgeous::shakeit::awooga:

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

local leagues wouldnt work. its all very well saying we would get higher attendances playing Bury and Rochdale, but name 21 other teams locally to play against, who are of a proffessional standard? i for one wouldnt be happy paying 300 quid a season to watch the likes of stalybridge v oldham.

In 1960 gates were around 5,000, then overnight they rocketed to 17,000.

The reason for this was a signing which captured the imagination of the public - Bobby Johnstone.

He was the reason I became a Latics fan, because he provided that powerful ingredient ENTERTAINMENT, something not seen much at BP this season.

In other words, capture the publics imagination and capture their hearts.

Any suggestions as to who fits the Bobby Johnstone bill today ?

In 1960 gates were around 5,000, then overnight they rocketed to 17,000.

The reason for this was a signing which captured the imagination of the public - Bobby Johnstone.

He was the reason I became a Latics fan, because he provided that powerful ingredient ENTERTAINMENT, something not seen much at BP this season.

In other words, capture the publics imagination and capture their hearts.

Any suggestions as to who fits the Bobby Johnstone bill today ?

Scholes

local leagues wouldnt work. its all very well saying we would get higher attendances playing Bury and Rochdale, but name 21 other teams locally to play against, who are of a proffessional standard? i for one wouldnt be happy paying 300 quid a season to watch the likes of stalybridge v oldham.

I don't mean non-league, it would by Div 1 North & Div 1 South.......We'd be travelling no more than 120 miles to an away fixture and regularly play the likes of: Rotherham,Stockport,Chesterfield,Bradford C,Chester,Accrington S,Bury,Macclesfield,Wrexham,Doncaster,Tranmere,Leeds,Huddersfield,Crewe,Port Vale,Walsall,Hartlepool,Darlington,Forest,Notts County, and finally Carlisle which would be the furthest we'd have to travel.

It would need a bit of tweaking here and there and promotion and relegation would have to be adressed but surely it would cut down on costs and increase match revenue.

I don't mean non-league, it would by Div 1 North & Div 1 South.......We'd be travelling no more than 120 miles to an away fixture and regularly play the likes of: Rotherham,Stockport,Chesterfield,Bradford C,Chester,Accrington S,Bury,Macclesfield,Wrexham,Doncaster,Tranmere,Leeds,Huddersfield,Crewe,Port Vale,Walsall,Hartlepool,Darlington,Forest,Notts County, and finally Carlisle which would be the furthest we'd have to travel.

It would need a bit of tweaking here and there and promotion and relegation would have to be adressed but surely it would cut down on costs and increase match revenue.

I can really see that coming in the not too distant future.

Rising fuel costs; concerns about carbon footprint and dwindling crowds would all get addressed. Also, League One and Two aren't massively apart in terms of ability.

Would take a bit of tweaking as you say and may necessitate the Conference being split into North and South (as their current feeder divisions are) but due to relegations from the Championship, there would always have to be some re-organissation Season after Season.

I can really see that coming in the not too distant future.

Rising fuel costs; concerns about carbon footprint and dwindling crowds would all get addressed. Also, League One and Two aren't massively apart in terms of ability.

Would take a bit of tweaking as you say and may necessitate the Conference being split into North and South (as their current feeder divisions are) but due to relegations from the Championship, there would always have to be some re-organissation Season after Season.

i see where the logic is on your argument, but i really can not see this happening. i was a bit sarcastic about stalybridge before, but along the same argument, there are many people who would not wish to see accrington stanley and darlington on a weekly basis. can you really see the extra few hundred coming from rotherham replacing the 1000 or so i feel we would lose on the gate? no matter what you say, the home crowd would suffer.

football would take a steep decline if this took effect, one i feel it would not recover from.

I'm for the Bradford type idea. I think they said if 10,000 committed to buying a season ticket then they'd sell them at 150 quid or something similar. Season tickets for U-16's could be, say, 50 quid.

I really think this could work at Oldham. Pay-on-the-day prices would have to stay the same (like they have at Bradford, i think). The 'pickers n choosers' like me would be far more likely stump up for a season ticket.

I don't know the percentage of adult and u16 season ticket holders at the moment, but I pretty certain that 10,000 at 150/50 quid would equate to more than 3,500 at 330/160 quid. Staffing costs for OAFC would no doubt rise, but so too would income from programmes, food etc.

The atmosphere would be better as well....I think people who haven't been to Latics for years might be tempted back....my girlfriends dad is a Bradford fan and he had rarely stepped foot inside Valley Parade since the Prem days until this season...a lot of his pals and families are back watching Bradford now too...will be interesting to see of they're still there next year I suppose though.

Edited by Yard Dog

I'm for the Bradford type idea. I think they said if 10,000 committed to buying a season ticket then they'd sell them at 150 quid or something similar. Season tickets for U-16's could be, say, 50 quid.

I really think this could work at Oldham. Pay-on-the-day prices would have to stay the same (like they have at Bradford, i think). The 'pickers n choosers' like me would be far more likely stump up for a season ticket.

I don't know the percentage of adult and u16 season ticket holders at the moment, but I pretty certain that 10,000 at 150/50 quid would equate to more than 3,500 at 330/160 quid. Staffing costs for OAFC would no doubt rise, but so too would income from programmes, food etc.

The atmosphere would be better as well....I think people who haven't been to Latics for years might be tempted back....my girlfriends dad is a Bradford fan and he had rarely stepped foot inside Valley Parade since the Prem days until this season...a lot of his pals and families are back watching Bradford now too...will be interesting to see of they're still there next year I suppose though.

i very much doubt it would happen,but it is a good idea,i would however drop match day pay on the gate to £17,as it looks like a tempter,and get the club in the news more often to keep it in the public eye.

if they did this for next season,and peoples imagination was caught,and we managed to get promoted think of the knock on effect of that.

I think thats a good idea, sell tickets before matches and if we break 6000 tell them to come back and show their receipt and sign it and give them another one, on first come first served basis, it wont hurt n im sure a lot of the true latics fans could convince their mates to come if the ticket is free

Now joining a membership scheme could be an idea - you pay for the membership at the start of the season (for arguements sake 10 games), then ring the ticket office everytime you want a ticket and they post one to you.

We had something very similar in the up till about 1995. Think they were quite cheap at the start of the season and you might have got a pound off per match. We might have done it a season too long as well and were told we shouldn't be doing it :ph34r:

Whoever mentioned kids for £50, that is the current price for Boundary Blues members to get a season ticket too.

Edited by RoytonBlueLad

....and if it all goes wrong and we still have 5,000 paying just £10 the following season are wage cap goes even lower and the club dies....worth taking the risk ? I think not....

Not sure if you were replying to my post or not pal....but if you were then it should be pointed out that if commitments to buy season tickets didn't reach 10,000 then obviously the offer would be revoked and season tickets prices would go back down to their normal pre-offer level. I'm pretty sure that was the Bradford plan....they were only going to commit to swelling the STs at 150 quid if 10,000 commited to buying.

Edited by Yard Dog

Not sure if you were replying to my post or not pal....but if you were then it should be pointed out that if commitments to buy season tickets didn't reach 10,000 then obviously the offer would be revoked and season tickets prices would go back down to their normal pre-offer level. I'm pretty sure that was the Bradford plan....they were only going to commit to swelling the STs at 150 quid if 10,000 commited to buying.

hmmm....gotcha.....

Not a bad idea then.....but thats a lot of admin/legal to sort out...only downside i cant think off.

Contact hardy and see what he says.....i doubt we can get 10,000 though...

hmmm....gotcha.....

Not a bad idea then.....but thats a lot of admin/legal to sort out...only downside i cant think off.

Contact hardy and see what he says.....i doubt we can get 10,000 though...

It probably would mean more admin/legal work - but Bradford have shown it can be done.

I'm sure Hardy and every other FL chairman/chief-exec are aware of what Bradford have done. I wonder whether any clubs (including us) follow Bradford's lead this year...it's undoubtedly been a success for them...they're getting 13k a game...granted they're probably not making much more, if any, revenue...but it's generating interest in the club and getting people interested and back to watch them...shame it's not helping them on the pitch and will be interesting to see what the club and the fans of Bradford do next year.

Our average gate is about 4500 last year it was possibly 1000 more. (I don't know the figures but its not far off). Regional lower leagues would do some good to this and we would never be affected to have to move south, but spare a thought for the likes of Notts county, Walsall, Lincoln etc. who wouldn't know what league they'd be in from one season to the next. Plus what about fairness as its not beyond the realms of possibility to have the twelve best teams at this level all being in the north (or south) yet if someone from the other would have to be promoted. A new stadium might help matters especially if it was better covered from the elements (we are notorious for being very cold). Strippers instead of cheerleaders (or even cheerleaders who aren't ridiculously under aged and therefore attractive) could help. Signing Paul Scholes or even a female player (Kelly Smith et al. might be good enough) might put a bit on for the first few games but not in the long term. Cheaper season tickets or game tickets might work too but not for long (how many did we get when it was a quid- and how many stayed). Plus Blackburn and Bolton (two local premier teams) both reduced their ticket prices to level similar to ours (if not cheaper) because they got a whole bunch extra from Sky (yet neither were founder members of the premier league unlike us). If i was just a general football fan (as opposed to supporting Oldham) I know where I'd spend my money and it isn't watching the sort of performance like we had a Brighton (or the first half against Swindon).

The sooner TV companies work out that paying ridiculously over the odds to watch 22 men (plus a few subs) kick a ball around a pitch isn't worth their money the better. After all the Beeb is still funded (for a large part) by the license fee payer and I for one would much rather see them spend money on programmes other than football (despite being a football fan). The only realistic way to survive as a football club at this level is to have someone willing to loose money to fund you after all we by all estimates loose roughly 750k a year yet we aren't a small club at this level. Leeds are in administration for a reason as are Bournemouth and Luton. Soon it won't be who has the best team on the pitch that gets promoted but who has enough money to stay out of administration. Having nifty crowd enhancing schemes won't work (don't you think that if we or anyone else could make significantly more money per year as a football club with a scheme it'd have been tried by now). Professional football in this country has turned into a multi-billion pound a year industry and in any industry if 60% of your competitors are better than you then you are going to loose money. Rio Ferdinand was paid 90k a week when he was inelligible to play for 8 months that £3.15 million could keep Oldham going for over 4 years. We wouldn't need to have a larger gate if we weren't spending as much money on wages and the only reason we are spending as much money on wages is beacuse players the likes of Rio Ferdinand et al are being paid so much. Yet as we proved on the 5th of january this year 11 players being paid about 11 times as much money aren't necessarily better for 90 minutes. But the only reason the likes of Rio Ferdinand are being paid in a week what a senior doctor makes in a year is because the TV companies have paid the Premier League a ridiculous amount of money to show about 90 hours of live football a year and the players are taking their 'rightful' cut.

However, the best way to boost attendances is for us to get promoted as I'd think its only Leeds and Swansea that bring more to us than we take to them we have an attendance record like our position but yet we still take quite a few fans away. This could well be because there are a lot of Oldham fans who grew up watching Latics at a higher level than we are at the moment and those that remain are much more die hard but for the likes of Yeovil this is the best division they've ever got to so they have fairweather fans.

I think we need to get the kids in and interested, each time i go into oldham we have more and more wearing U**ted shirts, at that age they just see whos winning, who looks best etc, if we can attract them then we got some more life long latics fans, and possibly may convert their dads!

either that or we all breed like rabbits, 4000 latics fans, each have 4 kids each, train them, then in a few years we will have 16000 plus the original 4000!

Even Mandelson would find it hard to put positive 'spin' on those figures, well done for trying. Not a Civil-Servant by any chance?

theres an impression in the town that the club is going nowhere. and lets face it, we havnt gone anywhere. it seems that people get behind the club when there is something to fight for, be it relegation, or going for the playoffs. We need a change of scenary, so the club needs to make some wise signings in the summer and get people excited.

the new ground will help a great deal, i just hope they design it with atmosphere in mind!