NFL - SUPERBOWL

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

List of three numbers.

Ball back through the legs.

Everyone runs into eachother.

The guy with the ball either gets knocked to the floor or throws it a long way.

Thirty second stoppage.

Same again.

Apart from baseball, easily the most boring sport ever played.

Off to USA tomoz morning...will be there until November and will be watching the Giants beat the Cowboys hopefully :) Will put photos online after the game :) Im also visting Chicago so will get some photos of Soliders Field...

See you all in two weeks... :)

You wont be stopping by Pittsburgh on Sunday night will you?

List of three numbers.

Ball back through the legs.

Everyone runs into eachother.

The guy with the ball either gets knocked to the floor or throws it a long way.

Thirty second stoppage.

Same again.

Apart from baseball, easily the most boring sport ever played.

in your own words on a previous post wot a load of tosh - u teling me you rather watch synchronized swimiing

It's doubtlessly the worst American sport...not a patch on the NHL (or the NBA for that matter).

I don't like rounders - it bores the pants off me, I've been dipping into the playoffs on NASN and I just don't get it. I know there are team tactics, but it looks like it's just batsman vs pitcher - I don't know how fans can get excited about it, I suppose the stats part of the sport is interesting, but really it's not for me this.

With basketball the quick end-to-end, high scores with not a lot in between kills the idea of any team tactics for me. Not a lot going on apart from "shooting hoops". Can't see the point, the players are individually very skilled - but I don't get this either.

Ice hockey. The only good thing about hockey is the fights, and even then it's all a bit clumsy. The "big hits" are big granted, but they would be skating at speed. I can never work out where the puck is, or why there are three parts to the game. High collision rate though, which is a box ticked in my book - but ultimately too fast for me to watch. Don't like it much.

I have taken to NFL because of one or two similarities to Rugby League I suppose - the downs, plays, touchdowns, breaks, tackles, and the "arm wrestle" of territorial supremacy - so I found it easier to watch and get to grips with the rules - the tactics however are still something of an enigma, but I'm slowly getting there. It's starting to make sense.

I'm sure you can see there that I don't like the other major American team sports as much as I enjoy American Football - but I'm not saying they're all :censored:e in comparison, or indeed singling one out as the worst - that would be such a naive and immature statement to make...

I don't like rounders - it bores the pants off me, I've been dipping into the playoffs on NASN and I just don't get it. I know there are team tactics, but it looks like it's just batsman vs pitcher - I don't know how fans can get excited about it, I suppose the stats part of the sport is interesting, but really it's not for me this.

With basketball the quick end-to-end, high scores with not a lot in between kills the idea of any team tactics for me. Not a lot going on apart from "shooting hoops". Can't see the point, the players are individually very skilled - but I don't get this either.

Ice hockey. The only good thing about hockey is the fights, and even then it's all a bit clumsy. The "big hits" are big granted, but they would be skating at speed. I can never work out where the puck is, or why there are three parts to the game. High collision rate though, which is a box ticked in my book - but ultimately too fast for me to watch. Don't like it much.

I have taken to NFL because of one or two similarities to Rugby League I suppose - the downs, plays, touchdowns, breaks, tackles, and the "arm wrestle" of territorial supremacy - so I found it easier to watch and get to grips with the rules - the tactics however are still something of an enigma, but I'm slowly getting there. It's starting to make sense.

I'm sure you can see there that I don't like the other major American team sports as much as I enjoy American Football - but I'm not saying they're all :censored:e in comparison, or indeed singling one out as the worst - that would be such a naive and immature statement to make...

I find baseball mindnumbingly boring because it is just so slow paced and long winded, but when something exciting is happening I'd say it still edges American Football. I watched the end of the Super Bowl last year, which allegedly was very tense, and just didn't get the excitement. The last 'thirty seconds' took about fifteen minutes.

Ice hockey takes a while to get into, purely so you can 'get your eye in'. After a couple of games it's second nature to be able to spot the puck...and once you can do it, it's a very skillful and still physical game. To me it's the perfect mix of brain and brawn (Steve Howard must love it).

that would be such a naive and immature statement to make...

:ass3::grin:

It's doubtlessly the worst American sport...not a patch on the NHL (or the NBA for that matter).

bollox....

Basketball....oh look another basket.....oh look another basket...oh look another basket..... sport for people with no attention span....

Baseball....ever beent too a game ? I have...even the americans drink until they dont realise they are actually at a game...so dull....its like cricket for idiots....

NHL....good sport...

NFL...best of the bunch....anyone can beat anyone of there day....like are football....love the sport and by far the best american sport....

Edited by oafc0000

load of septic's in suits of armour going on and off a pitch every 30 seconds - that's no game - in my humble opinion that be!

You clearly know little about the game :)

Its funny how us brits laugh at the igorance of the americans while ourselfs being just as up are own arses :)

Those suits of armour actually end up causing more injuries than they actually stop...and thats a fact.... :) THe suit of armour only really protects people from dieing..... Also the only time people go on and off the pitch is when the offence / defence and special teams comes on which is about every two mins of game play which isnt really even two mins.... Next you will be telling me time outs are just for tv adverts :lol: Typical British igorance :)

Edited by oafc0000

Watching the game at Wembley for 5 minutes last night, it struck me how all the players sort of look like The Crazy Frog.

And it's a :censored:e game, but only because I cannot for one minute understand what's happening and simply can't gather any interest together to find out. Touchdown.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Im back from the USA :) Had a great time and the game between the Cowboys and Giants was brilliant!!!

As promised here is a bit of a review!! Click on photos to enlarge...

To get to the Medowlands from Manhattan you have to get a train and then a bus. Its a fixed $10 charge for the return journey. Good value for money really. Was a really good service and only took us about 30 mins.

dscf7310ya0.th.jpg

dscf7312lo6.th.jpg

dscf7314um9.th.jpg

As we pulled up to the stadium the site was amazing. Around giants stadium are what seems to be miles of car parking. There was thousands and thousands of people tailgating all over the place. For those who dont know, before a american football match the fans usually turn up about four hours before the game and have BBQs, play games, watch TV and pritty much just get blind stinking drunk. They call it tailgating. Its a amazing site and photos dont do it justice. You have to see it to believe it. Many fans travel long distances and there was lots of Winnebagos and they had satellite dishes on the roof and the fans had mounted huge plasma screens on the side of the truck so they and all the friends could kick back with a beer and bbq and watch the earlier games :) Allot of people would meet up with friends, and huge parties where ongoing all other the place.

dscf7317wr2.th.jpg

dscf7319fc2.th.jpg

dscf7327ni1.th.jpg

Its amazing...much better than cramming into a hot stuffy :censored:ty pub like we do... Everyone was :censored: face and having a good time. Lots of Cowboys fans around the place and not a policeman in sight as it wasnt required. Any "banter" was more mikey taking than nasty.

I kind of wished I had gate crashed one of the parties and went over and talked to people more. Instead I headed over to the "Practice Bubble". This is like the everyones welcome tailgate. Basically a area you can buy foor and beer. Here I got talking to two lovely american couples who had traveled from Kentucky to watch the Game. They where supporting the Cowboys. They where surprised to see two English people going to the game and wanted to know how it compares to a soccer game etc. Had a good chat. Anyway, next too where we was sat was the actual "Bubble" and this thing was brilliant. Its like a HUGE dome tent they had constructed. Inside the floor was made out field Astroturf turf and they had setup huge play areas for kids & adults to practice american football skills. Things like, you would practice receiving, the kids would run in a arc, someone would throw the ball and they would dive and catch it on a big blow bouncy castle type thing. Hard too explain, I have attached a photo but its not great. Anyway there was about 4 different games you could play and the kids where loving it. Also inside the bubble, Giants radio broadcasted from there and would do interviews with players and key staff which was cool. Also, it wouldnt be america without a number of stands set up by the sponsors :) But I got loads freestuff so I was happy. Oh yeah, the beer and food outside the stadium was about $4 or so.....

dscf7333tg2.th.jpg

We think about how to attract more kids to the games, well this place was brilliant and the kids loved it and its a million miles away from anything we offer at english football grounds.

We headed into the stadium now, got a program which was about $10. We set of in the wrong direction to our gate and had to walk the full length of the stadium twice because you could continue around because of the building of the new stadium next door....that was a real arse...giant stadium isnt small....

Finally got inside and got fully searched, metal detectors the lot. You have to take escalators too our level, we was on level 3. Came across my first food retailer and the I realised why people tailgate themselves too death nearly. Beer $8.25, Food ranged from $8-$12. Not cheap at all. Very few people actually bought beer once inside the stadium. Also, EVERYONES ID gets checked! A 60 year old guy in front of me got his ID checked for example. You can get beer up until the 3rd Quarter and your free to drink in the stands. I think i had about 3 or 4 beers during the game.

We found are seats quite easily and I was really happy with our view of the pitch. I had upgraded them so I would have a seat near the half way line (between the 30-30 yard markers). This is the best postion too watch American football from. We where on the upper most level because at Giants stadium the bottom level isnt a step viewing angle so when people stand up it can be hard to see if your not very tall so my wife would of struggled, getting tickets for the middle tier is very difficult... Anyway we had a perfect view!

dscf7336bg5.th.jpg

Game got underway and the Giants scored off there first drive which was a amazing start and really pumped the crowd up. Me and the wife where getting high fives left right and centre :)

People loved the fact two English people had come along for the game, abit of a novlety I suppose... The guy next too me saw I had just a giants top and no sweatshirt (although I had about three layers under my Giants top) he said you do know how could it gets here ? At the time, the sun was out and it was really nice. I said, Dont worry mate its not exactly warm where I come from either :) anyway ive got a backup, pointing down at my coat under my seat.... Later on, after the sun went down it was F**king freezing and he was right, but not as cold as BP can get :)

Edited by oafc0000

The rest of the game saw the Giants dominate the Cowboys and there where never really in it although they managed to keep the scores reasonably close until the 4th quarter I think....

dscf7344ii7.th.jpg

dscf7346ps8.th.jpg

dscf7348oq6.th.jpg

dscf7357ax5.th.jpg

dscf7367fw4.th.jpg

One great thing I found was, everyone pretty much sits down during the action! The only usually jump up after something good has happened and by that point the play is usually over. Before the next play begins everyone is sat back down. This was really cool and thoughtful because there was allot of people who werent really able to stand up etc, older people.

There was a cowboy fan with Romo (there QB) on his back not far from us who got quite alot of stick but most of it was funny rather than nasty. I only heard one bad comment and it was something a long "Oi Romo, your a :censored:ing homo"... He had kids with him and it was the only time during the day I thought I had heard something out of order.... The kids and wife had bought giants tops as well!! Kids obviously wanted to support the world champs :D but they where defo Cowboy fans!

dscf7383wn6.th.jpg

There is security available in the ground but I never once saw them coming up the steps to talk too anyone. Everyone policed themselves really well.

The game ended 35-14 in favour of the Giants who are now shaping up too be a real contenders this year. We had a great time and I cant wait too go back.

dscf7385fi2.th.jpg

Its a much more enjoyable day out than going to the football. So much more to do and you dont get treated like a naughty boy for wanting to chill out and have a beer. We shot ourselfs in the foot many years ago and we will never see anything like this in England and thats a real shame.

The only thing I think English football really beats american football is the atmosphere. The songs, the chanting, the knife edge moments... These all happen in american football but nothing like in a english soccer match. Just a pity the rest of the day couldnt be as much fun....

Defo doing it again!!!

GO BIG BLUE!!!!! :D

***had to split posts due to number of photos***

Hi All

Im back from the USA :) Had a great time and the game between the Cowboys and Giants was brilliant!!!

As promised here is a bit of a review!! Click on photos to enlarge...

To get to the Medowlands from Manhattan you have to get a train and then a bus. Its a fixed $10 charge for the return journey. Good value for money really. Was a really good service and only took us about 30 mins.

dscf7310ya0.th.jpg

dscf7312lo6.th.jpg

dscf7314um9.th.jpg

As we pulled up to the stadium the site was amazing. Around giants stadium are what seems to be miles of car parking. There was thousands and thousands of people tailgating all over the place. For those who dont know, before a american football match the fans usually turn up about four hours before the game and have BBQs, play games, watch TV and pritty much just get blind stinking drunk. They call it tailgating. Its a amazing site and photos dont do it justice. You have to see it to believe it. Many fans travel long distances and there was lots of Winnebagos and they had satellite dishes on the roof and the fans had mounted huge plasma screens on the side of the truck so they and all the friends could kick

back with a beer and bbq and watch the earlier games :) Allot of people would meet up with friends, and huge parties where ongoing all other the place.

dscf7317wr2.th.jpg

dscf7319fc2.th.jpg

dscf7327ni1.th.jpg

Its amazing...much better than cramming into a hot stuffy :censored:ty pub like we do... Everyone was :censored: face and having a good time. Lots of Cowboys fans around the place and not a policeman in sight as it wasnt required. Any "banter" was more mikey taking than nasty.

I kind of wished I had gate crashed one of the parties and went over and talked to people more. Instead I headed over to the "Practice Bubble". This is like the everyones welcome tailgate. Basically a area you can buy foor and beer. Here I got talking to two lovely american couples who had traveled from Kentucky to watch the Game. They where supporting the Cowboys. They where surprised to see two English people going to the game and wanted to know how it compares to a soccer game etc. Had a good chat. Anyway, next too where we was sat was the actual "Bubble" and this thing was brilliant. Its like a HUGE dome tent they had constructed. Inside the floor was made out field Astroturf turf and they had setup huge play areas for kids & adults to practice american football skills. Things like, you would practice receiving, the kids would run in a arc, someone would throw the ball and they would dive and catch it on a big blow bouncy castle type thing. Hard too explain, I have attached a photo but its not great. Anyway there was about 4 different games you could play and the kids where loving it. Also inside the bubble, Giants radio broadcasted from there and would do interviews with players and key staff which was cool. Also, it wouldnt be america without a number of stands set up by the sponsors :) But I got loads freestuff so I was happy. Oh yeah, the beer and food outside the stadium was about $4 or so.....

dscf7333tg2.th.jpg

We think about how to attract more kids to the games, well this place was brilliant and the kids loved it and its a million miles away from anything we offer at english football grounds.

We headed into the stadium now, got a program which was about $10. We set of in the wrong direction to our gate and had to walk the full length of the stadium twice because you could continue around because of the building of the new stadium next door....that was a real arse...giant stadium isnt small....

Finally got inside and got fully searched, metal detectors the lot. You have to take escalators too our level, we was on level 3. Came across my first food retailer and the I realised why people tailgate themselves too death nearly. Beer $8.25, Food ranged from $8-$12. Not cheap at all. Very few people actually bought beer once inside the stadium. Also, EVERYONES ID gets checked! A 60 year old guy in front of me got his ID checked for example. You can get beer up until the 3rd Quarter and your free to drink in the stands. I think i had about 3 or 4 beers during the game.

We found are seats quite easily and I was really happy with our view of the pitch. I had upgraded them so I would have a seat near the half way line (between the 30-30 yard markers). This is the best postion too watch American football from. We where on the upper most level because at Giants stadium the bottom level isnt a step viewing angle so when people stand up it can be hard to see if your not very tall so my wife would of struggled, getting tickets for the middle tier is very difficult... Anyway we had a perfect view!

dscf7336bg5.th.jpg

Game got underway and the Giants scored off there first drive which was a amazing start and really pumped the crowd up. Me and the wife where getting high fives left right and centre :)

People loved the fact two English people had come along for the game, abit of a novlety I suppose... The guy next too me saw I had just a giants top and no sweatshirt (although I had about three layers under my Giants top) he said you do know how could it gets here ? At the time, the sun was out and it was really nice. I said, Dont worry mate its not exactly warm where I come from either :) anyway ive got a backup, pointing down at my coat under my seat.... Later on, after the sun went down it was F**king freezing and he was right, but not as cold as BP can get :)

so jealous youve taken a live game in theUS mt, one of those penciilled in things i wouuld love to do - ideally at my team chicago, will happen one day, woulsd imagine the atmospere is electric, certainly got the gsme you took in, masssive gsme that one

Hey nice one. Tailgating over there is the real deal, the stuff down at Wembley is all a bit plastic by all accounts. Looks like you had a great time over there - I'd like to do something like that, down in Louisiana...

Yep, the Giants are shaping up now - good defensive game against the Steelers the other week (my AFC pick) and a NFC East win over the Cowboys sends out the right messages.

Titans (8-0) have thrown their hat into the ring, but I'm still sceptical, the Raiders (2-6) have self destructed, Mike Singletary pulled his kecks down to prove a point and gee up the niners (2-6), and Saints (4-4) were on a bye week - but we play our arch rivals the Dirty Birds tomorrow...

WHO DAT!

so jealous youve taken a live game in theUS mt, one of those penciilled in things i wouuld love to do - ideally at my team chicago, will happen one day, woulsd imagine the atmospere is electric, certainly got the gsme you took in, masssive gsme that one

We stayed in Chicago and we had a walk down to Soliders Field...I have some pics if you want too see....

All taken from outside the stadium though.... Its a lovly place!! You should go do it!!

Chicago is a great city as well!

These guys can help..they sorted out our holiday and everything was fantastic! http://www.sportstraveltours.com/

Edited by oafc0000

Titans (8-0) have thrown their hat into the ring, but I'm still sceptical, the Raiders (2-6) have self destructed, Mike Singletary pulled his kecks down to prove a point and gee up the niners (2-6), and Saints (4-4) were on a bye week - but we play our arch rivals the Dirty Birds tomorrow...

They self destructed about 5 years ago! Since they got to the Superbowl in 2002 they are 21-67....something seriously wrong in Oakland which looks like it has no chance of being sorted out any time soon.