The Tommy Wright Interview [merged]

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm starting to get worried now.

Not only are several posters agreeing with CJ, I'm even finding myself in agreement with him.

What the hell is going on?

I think the mods need to take a long hard look at this thread as quite clearly something is not right. :moderator:

Cheers,

Harry

Frame that one too. It's the truth of the matter.

That's CJ agreeing with my post, but I didn't get where I am today by agreeing with people who agree with me, especially if called CJ. B)

Hey, now I know how Barack Obama feels.

Just call me Saint Corporal of the Jones...

I notioced a very erudite and articulate post from opinions4u the other day, too.

the world is certainly a changin'..!

Edited by singe

Am I missing the point here? Some talk of the playing staff needing to be "professional" yeah I couldn't agree more, but owners and CE's should show a modicum of professionalism too, instead of posting a video online that was more Beavis and Butthead, than Managing Director and Chief Exec.

I don't think meself that TW is whinging or whining about being bollocked as such its way they have chose to do it. Shez, TW and others have been in the game long enough to accept a dressing down for what it is. If employees in TTA's other business are not performing do they get a public bollocking, or do TTA call in the department head to get the hair drier treatment who then passes it on, in private to the errant worker. Just because its football and SC is passionate like a fan it doesn't make the actions right, the feature was ill thought out embarrassing and simply made the club look foolish in its unprofessionalism. It stikes me that successful football clubs don't look like that.

So SC your passion for the club is brilliant, your cash keeps the club alive and long may you be here. You have every right to say what you think, but say it inside the 4 walls eh? Lee Hughes for example did need a slaughtering for the silly yellow card, he more than anybody else knew he was wrong, we as fans knew he was a tit, you were furious, fine just have a pop in private, we don't need to know.**

Some things are better left in house, so with respect in matters like this shove a donut in yer gob Simon.

** Well I suppose some do, the sad hollow eyed saps who seem to thrive on the merest morsel of gossip eminating from BP, those who feel the need to know the ins and outs of a cats arse at BP on a hourly basis.

... we don't need to know.**

** Well I suppose some do, the sad hollow eyed saps who seem to thrive on the merest morsel of gossip eminating from BP, those who feel the need to know the ins and outs of a cats arse at BP on a hourly basis.

This was not an interview given to the media. It was for digestion by those to whom you refer i.e., those who put extra money into the club by subscribing to Latics World, which I don't because I'm not a true super fan.

P.S. Chaddy had better watch out that the cat doesn't get him!

Am I missing the point here? Some talk of the playing staff needing to be "professional" yeah I couldn't agree more, but owners and CE's should show a modicum of professionalism too, instead of posting a video online that was more Beavis and Butthead, than Managing Director and Chief Exec.

I don't think meself that TW is whinging or whining about being bollocked as such its way they have chose to do it. Shez, TW and others have been in the game long enough to accept a dressing down for what it is. If employees in TTA's other business are not performing do they get a public bollocking, or do TTA call in the department head to get the hair drier treatment who then passes it on, in private to the errant worker. Just because its football and SC is passionate like a fan it doesn't make the actions right, the feature was ill thought out embarrassing and simply made the club look foolish in its unprofessionalism. It stikes me that successful football clubs don't look like that.

So SC your passion for the club is brilliant, your cash keeps the club alive and long may you be here. You have every right to say what you think, but say it inside the 4 walls eh? Lee Hughes for example did need a slaughtering for the silly yellow card, he more than anybody else knew he was wrong, we as fans knew he was a tit, you were furious, fine just have a pop in private, we don't need to know.**

Some things are better left in house, so with respect in matters like this shove a donut in yer gob Simon.

Agree 100% :applause1:

Edited by GlossopLatic

I can't see how anybody can agree with the actions of Simon Corney.

I actually cringed whilst listening to his interview on Latics World, it was truly unprofessional and not needed in the slightest.

If he had problem with Shez’s preparation for the Yeovil game, then why did he not mention it to him? Ask him to explain what he was doing and why, after all he is the boss and has the right to know what his employee's approach to the job is. If he didn't like what he heard from Sheriden then he could ask him to reproach his preparations or sack him, its that simple really. If he noticed it before the game then he is not doing his job of pulling his staff when needed.

Could somebody also inform me of the football qualifications that Simon Corney holds as well? I didn't realise he was a UEFA qualified coach. In all seriousness what does he know about match preparation? If he's so knowledgeable then he should take the hot seat and see if our league position improves, which I highly doubt it would.

In my place of work, if my boss has a problem with me or the job that I am doing, then I am pulled into the office, asked to explain myself, then told what is expected of me in the future and warned as to my future conduct and punished (I'm in the military). This approach should have been taken with Gregan and Hughes. If my boss would have taken the same approach as Mr Corney then I would have him hung out to dry. It is not on and out of order to publicly slate them.

I appreciate everything the three amigos have done for Latics. Without them I would not have a club to support. This latest episode has left a bad taste in my mouth though. Simon Corney and Alan Hardy know what they did was wrong and that is why the video has now been pulled from Latics World. You can have passion and pride, but do not let your emotions run your mouth, especially in public. Something did need to be done, but the way they went about it was completely wrong.

In future, could Mr Corney also try and look like a Managing Director when giving 'interviews'. Wearing a tie and jacket never hurt anybody. Try standing up instead of sitting down with your arms folded and always turn your phone off, that’s just plain, rude.

If my boss would have taken the same approach as Mr Corney then I would have him hung out to dry. It is not on and out of order to publicly slate them.

Really? You wouldn't have lasted too long in a fair few places I've worked in. I've never seen anyone beaten up by a drunken boss, but I've seen senior people torn down big style in front of entire floors of staff, and it tends to flow downwards. I'm not saying it's the right way to go, but for that to upset Tommy and Shez so much is like a star player crying because he doesn't get the nicest seat in the dressing room. Responsibility, pressure.

Really? You wouldn't have lasted too long in a fair few places I've worked in. I've never seen anyone beaten up by a drunken boss, but I've seen senior people torn down big style in front of entire floors of staff, and it tends to flow downwards. I'm not saying it's the right way to go, but for that to upset Tommy and Shez so much is like a star player crying because he doesn't get the nicest seat in the dressing room. Responsibility, pressure.

Perhaps the legendary Taggart should be consulted for advice on how to avoid future conflict.

I'm in the Airforce and believe me the days of tearing people a new a-hole in public are well and truly over, simply because it is counter productive. People get upset that they have been embaressed in public. This leads to people going sick/not trying/doing worse. If I get torn a new one, it happens in an office away from my fellow peers.

Try to look at it in this context. If a Commanding Officer (Simon Corney) slates his Sgt and Corporal (John sheriden and Tommy Wright) in front of all his troops (the players) then his troops will lose confidence with the Sgt and will not be battle ready (matchday). If on the other hand the Sgt tells the CO that he's out of order for what he said then his troops will feel like somebody is sticking up for them and will want to repay the faith shown and not let him down.

What Tommy Wright said was also unproffesional, however, due to everything that had already gone on it was necessary. At the end of the day he had a right to stick up for himself and the players.

I'm in the Airforce and believe me the days of tearing people a new a-hole in public are well and truly over, simply because it is counter productive. People get upset that they have been embaressed in public. This leads to people going sick/not trying/doing worse. If I get torn a new one, it happens in an office away from my fellow peers.

Try to look at it in this context. If a Commanding Officer (Simon Corney) slates his Sgt and Corporal (John sheriden and Tommy Wright) in front of all his troops (the players) then his troops will lose confidence with the Sgt and will not be battle ready (matchday). If on the other hand the Sgt tells the CO that he's out of order for what he said then his troops will feel like somebody is sticking up for them and will want to repay the faith shown and not let him down.

What Tommy Wright said was also unproffesional, however, due to everything that had already gone on it was necessary. At the end of the day he had a right to stick up for himself and the players.

Maybe it's one of those ironies of the current age that traditional employment relationships are stronger in the private sector than in the Forces, where I suppose you might have thought they'd have survived longest. I've certainly seen a lot of it myself, including as a motivational tool for me, at which it was far worse than useless, I don't work hard because my boss asks me to - but I have seen it where it was beneficial as well in other areas of the business, where teams of people to be honest knew they could be slack because that was the model set by their immediate managers.

Maybe it's one of those ironies of the current age that traditional employment relationships are stronger in the private sector than in the Forces, where I suppose you might have thought they'd have survived longest. I've certainly seen a lot of it myself, including as a motivational tool for me, at which it was far worse than useless, I don't work hard because my boss asks me to - but I have seen it where it was beneficial as well in other areas of the business, where teams of people to be honest knew they could be slack because that was the model set by their immediate managers.

I wouldn't say employment relationships are stronger in the private sector then in the Forces, especially given the current state of the British private sector at the moment. We are currently engaged in two conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan, for that to work with any chance of sucsess you have to have good working relationships. This can only be achieved with respect being shown to all people regardless of rank. As the Navy recruitment advert says "The team works". The same principle should be be applied to Athletic. It starts from the top and Mr Corney (being an bussinessman) should know that. To be honest, this episode wouldn't have bothered me so much if he had already had words with Shez/Gregan/Hughes and nothing had been done about it, then fine, show to us (the public) that you have already vented your frustrations with the said individuals but nothing had changed and that was the reason for the public outburst. Don't on the other hand just come out moaning and ridiculing the manager and players when you have not addressed the situation with the staff.

I wouldn't say employment relationships are stronger in the private sector then in the Forces, especially given the current state of the British private sector at the moment. We are currently engaged in two conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan, for that to work with any chance of sucsess you have to have good working relationships. This can only be achieved with respect being shown to all people regardless of rank. As the Navy recruitment advert says "The team works". The same principle should be be applied to Athletic. It starts from the top and Mr Corney (being an bussinessman) should know that. To be honest, this episode wouldn't have bothered me so much if he had already had words with Shez/Gregan/Hughes and nothing had been done about it, then fine, show to us (the public) that you have already vented your frustrations with the said individuals but nothing had changed and that was the reason for the public outburst. Don't on the other hand just come out moaning and ridiculing the manager and players when you have not addressed the situation with the staff.

To use your example though - what when the team just doesn't work? What if the unit is taking it easy as a whole, if they don't care enough? OK, in your line of work it might cost lives, in football it costs points, but on the other hand maybe there are some footballers who don't care. Letting them know that the manager is in line might not bother them - but it might if they see that players who act the tosser (Ricketts, ...erm I'll say no more) get shipped as well. Not saying it's right, but it's a common way of doing it.

To use your example though - what when the team just doesn't work? What if the unit is taking it easy as a whole, if they don't care enough? OK, in your line of work it might cost lives, in football it costs points, but on the other hand maybe there are some footballers who don't care. Letting them know that the manager is in line might not bother them - but it might if they see that players who act the tosser (Ricketts, ...erm I'll say no more) get shipped as well. Not saying it's right, but it's a common way of doing it.

We are 7th though, not bottom. A complete over reaction. If he see's the manager not pulling his weight, then pull him on it, warn him of his future and if he feels its right then get rid of him. If he see the players not pulling their weight then inform the manager to pull them, if he doesn't or they don't respond then do it yourself. I am pretty sure he didn't drag Hughes into his office and say "Look here, your daft antics on the pitch could ultimatley cost us £20, 000. Now pull your finger out and start acting like the professional footballer you are paid as, otherwise you will find yourself looking for another club". Instead Hughes found out about Simon Corneys views via Latics World, without any prior warning.

If the team doesn't work, it is ultimatley the owners fault for employing the wrong personel, like I said in my previous post, it starts from the top.

Didn't Ricketts get let go for punching Chris Taylor, in which case thats gross misconduct and in any other proffesion he would have been fired and the correct decision was made. Just like it was whe Redfearn punched Milligan in training and he was a good player for us unlike Ricketts.

We are 7th though, not bottom. A complete over reaction. If he see's the manager not pulling his weight, then pull him on it, warn him of his future and if he feels its right then get rid of him. If he see the players not pulling their weight then inform the manager to pull them, if he doesn't or they don't respond then do it yourself. I am pretty sure he didn't drag Hughes into his office and say "Look here, your daft antics on the pitch could ultimatley cost us £20, 000. Now pull your finger out and start acting like the professional footballer you are paid as, otherwise you will find yourself looking for another club". Instead Hughes found out about Simon Corneys views via Latics World, without any prior warning.

If the team doesn't work, it is ultimatley the owners fault for employing the wrong personel, like I said in my previous post, it starts from the top.

Didn't Ricketts get let go for punching Chris Taylor, in which case thats gross misconduct and in any other proffesion he would have been fired and the correct decision was made. Just like it was whe Redfearn punched Milligan in training and he was a good player for us unlike Ricketts.

Have some people thought about the possibility that Corney might have already tried saying in private the kind of things he said in the interview without any discernible improvement in attitude and performance? That it might have been the only way he could think of to concentrate certain minds? That some people at the club are spitting out dummies actually says more about them than Corney?

As already said, reading between the lines it seems like he might be sick of seeing money spent on players who don't have the bottle to see the job through. Last season was big disappointment given the squad we had, while the throwing away of our best promotion opportunity in nearly two decades the season before was nothing short of a disgrace, small squad or not.

Now we have a bigger squad, and quite possibly the strongest we'll see at BP while we remain at this level. We might only be seventh but we were top not long ago. This squad was assembled at considerable cost, with promotion in mind (as most on here seemed to agree pre-season). After the last six or seven weeks, the great start and raised hopes, perhaps Corney and co. fear the season going the same way as so many others, due to apathy and certain players not really wanting to take a step up and move out of their comfort zone. Perhaps the penny has finally dropped that, especially as we slip into recession, the Oldham public won't regularly attend in break-even numbers or better unless the club looks serious about making something of itself again.

Edited by Corporal_Jones

Corp - stop winding me up and posting things I agree with. It's playing havoc with my delicate mental equilibrium.

Simon Corney will have thought about the wisdom of giving the interview beforehand . I give him credit for being a succesful man, and presumably one who employs different tactics for different situations. A public outburst, hometruths, then internal meetings to move things forward and on - and leaving nobody in any uncertainty about what's expected.

Have some people thought about the possibility that Corney might have already tried saying in private the kind of things he said in the interview without any discernible improvement in attitude and performance? That it might have been the only way he could think of to concentrate certain minds? That some people at the club are spitting out dummies actually says more about them than Corney?

As already said, reading between the lines it seems like he might be sick of seeing money spent on players who don't have the bottle to see the job through. Last season was big disappointment given the squad we had, while the throwing away of our best promotion opportunity in nearly two decades the season before was nothing short of a disgrace, small squad or not.

Now we have a bigger squad, and quite possibly the strongest we'll see at BP while we remain at this level. We might only be seventh but we were top not long ago. This squad was assembled at considerable cost, with promotion in mind (as most on here seemed to agree pre-season). After the last six or seven weeks, the great start and raised hopes, perhaps Corney and co. fear the season going the same way as so many others, due to apathy and certain players not really wanting to take a step up and move out of their comfort zone. Perhaps the penny has finally dropped that, especially as we slip into recession, the Oldham public won't regularly attend in break-even numbers or better unless the club looks serious about making something of itself again.

My goodness. I agree. Again!