Stam's no show

.... I have been informed that he was told by club officals that he didn't need to attend the meeting !! He's fumming :ranting: the club have seemingly now made a big deal that he was a no show :shock:

OB states:

Dutch central defender Stefan Stam failed to keep an appointment with new manager Dave Penney today and following talks with the players agent he has not been offered terms at Boundary Park.

Edited by Waterboy
Language - Wardlelatic

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say that that the last player I would expect not to turn up to a meeting would be Stam and was shocked to read that he hadn't turned up today.

Always the ultimate pro for me ..... he's been in the stands with the fans plenty of times and seems to always loved being at this club. Somethings not right <_<

I would say that that the last player I would expect not to turn up to a meeting would be Stam and was shocked to read these comments on the club site.

Always the ultimate pro for me ..... he's been in the stands with the fans plenty of times and seems to always loved being at this club.

If true, absolutely bang out of order AGAIN from the club

That's so underhand its untrue

Underhand would imply the club has gained from this which they haven't - so it's worse (which makes me dubious of waterboy's source).

Why wouldn't they just announce he wasn't being retained?

Edited by Stitch_KTF

Guest sheridans_world

Why would they make it public?? There's no need.

I'm a Stam fan and I for one hope they sort this out. Regardless of mix-up's if the player is wanted by the club then he should be retained.

from stefan to me on face book

was surprised to read the club have let you go ,but i wish you good luck in finding a new club and thanks for playing for latics ... best wishes bob

Stefan Stam

Today at 10:22pm

Thanks pal, but what's been said on the oldham website isn't true. They told me I didn't have to come back for the meeting yesterday. So I'm still in holland. Then they rang me to say I was released cause he's never seen me play. Not because I failed to meet an appointment with the new manager. Shame they're lying after I played 5 yrs for oldham...

Sent via Facebook Mobile

Bob Oafc Isaacs

Today at 10:25pm

sorry to hear that , can i quote you on the latics message board?

Where on the website does it say though that he had to come back for it, or that he was released because he didn't? There was a pre-arranged meeting, that clearly his agent was at. He would have articulated Stefan's contract requirements, and the club would have said they didn't want him full stop, or not on the terms to which his agent was willing to negotiate.

Whilst Stefan clearly isn't happy with how it has worked out, I'm not sure where the contradiction is between Stam's message to Bob and the club's article.

The club really does make a rod for its own back sometimes.

All the statement from the club needed to say is that Stam had been released.

Now we have all this unnecessary "no show" or "not required to show" stuff, the bottom line is Stam has left the club there is no need to cause all this bad feeling between Stam and the club.

Where on the website does it say though that he had to come back for it, or that he was released because he didn't? There was a pre-arranged meeting, that clearly his agent was at. He would have articulated Stefan's contract requirements, and the club would have said they didn't want him full stop, or not on the terms to which his agent was willing to negotiate.

Whilst Stefan clearly isn't happy with how it has worked out, I'm not sure where the contradiction is between Stam's message to Bob and the club's article.

The site certainly implies to me that he was expected at the meeting.

"Stam failed to keep an appointment"

"Stam, believed to be in Amsterdam at present, was a no show."

Stambo tells Bob that he was told that he need not attend.....that is the contradiction.

The site certainly implies to me that he was expected at the meeting.

"Stam failed to keep an appointment"

Well that will teach me to read the opening sentence of an article before commenting on the rest of it :wink:

I'm sure the truth lies somewhere in between...perhaps the meeting was optional, or the club wanted to keep him on but the wage demands were too high and the club weren't happy about it. I certainly think Stefan was released for footballing reasons, and not because he didn't turn up to the meeting.

I just think posting the "didn't turn up" message on the official site lacks class.

Whether true or not, the club should show a higher level of dignity and just say he's been released.

I couldn't agree more. Whatever has gone on, all that needs to be said is that his contract won't be renewed. No need to make a fool of a decent and honest feller, who's been with the club for a good few years, and potentially hamper his chance of getting a deal with another club.

Publicly embarrassing Stefan leaves a sour taste in the mouth and is symptomatic of what has gone on this season. We have been left with a shambles and there are deep rooted problems that go beyond the dressing room. Joe hinted at it when he said that things hadn't changed since his first spell and maybe that was not alltogether a good thing.

Hopefully in time Dave Penney will be a catalyst for change throughout the club.

Where does it say his agent was at BP? It says ''following talks with the players agent'' for all we know that could mean they spoke over the phone. Im not impressed with latics over the handling of this. Stefan comes across as an excellent pro and not for the first time the club feel the need to bad mouth a player who has left. Just say he has been released and good luck in the future, simple!!

Whatever has gone on between Latics and Stam shows that the club have learnt little about PR when it comes to things like this.

2 players left under Joe and for whatever reasons it has been kept quiet and private. (how it should be)

Yet before and after his short spell players have left under a cloud and badly handled by the club.

Perhaps we should get Joe in as our PR man !!!!