Oldham,

OL2 8JB

South Chadderton School

Butterworth Lane

Chadderton

Oldham

OL9 8EA

England

I let you have failsworth , but unless all these places dont actually know were they are i'd say you were wrong.

Ah, I see, it's not THAT whitehall mandarin you bow to, it's the one who does the postal system designations.

You think that a postal address defines somewhere? Try looking at Rochdale, Bacup and Heywood postcodes. Or even Ashton.

The "Oldham" bit in all those above is just a reference to where the post is sorted.

Edited by real

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In that context the main stand should be demolished too, and we have a 2 sided stadium ?

the saddleworth school argument falls flat as when i started there in 1977 alot of the equipment still had WRCC stamped on them thats west riding county council part of yarkshire ! definatly not oldham ! can still remeber not getting fish fingers for my school dinners after the boundary changes in 1974 tight lancs gits

Meanwhile, I haven't advocated staying in a three-sided BP (or advocated anything, actually.)

Why not try advocating something, or even doing something? Lord knows I'm more than a bit negative about the way things have gone but at least I've realised that whinging anonymously on a message board ain't the answer,

people are worried that its gonna be outside what is defined as the oldham area, but from where i live i could drive 5 miles one direction and still be in oldham and around 1 mile the other way and be out of oldham,

thing is wether its in the area classed as oldham or not, its going to be accessible still, may not be the same direction or same bus but still going to be just as accessible,

its true we may have to travel a bit longer but the extra few pounds of petrol money is surely worth it?

also this might mean we could have to play on a different day poss sundays?

i think it can be a good thing as all the glory supporters who have watched city/united (whoever was top of premiership at the time) on the saturday, might be bored on the sunday and think "might go and watch the local side" as its not conflicting with their games

Meanwhile, I haven't advocated staying in a three-sided BP (or advocated anything, actually.)

Why not try advocating something, or even doing something? Lord knows I'm more than a bit negative about the way things have gone but at least I've realised that whinging anonymously on a message board ain't the answer,

As I've said many times before, why should it be down to the hard pressed supporter to 'do something' about the plight of the club when the club employs and pays well people to do this? I'm not claiming that 'whinging' on a messageboard solves anything. It is, however, one function of a mesageboard.

Supporters have enough on their plates and no power to do anything much.

Less to spend on stadium matienance? What are we currently having to pay to keep the stadium going that we wouldn't have to pay with a re-development?

Better facilities for fans? Yes there would be, but the core of 3000/4000 will continue to come with the facilities as they are, i cannot see much more than 1000/1500? more coming just because of the facilities?

More revenue streams? Surely will take a good few years to equal the cost that is required for the redevelopment

I still feel there's no need to build a new ground until we reach the championship but obviously it's going to take 3 years? So once we get there by the time its finished we might not even be there no more.

Stadium Maintenance costs the club a lot of money, with a brand-new stadium there is less maintenance costs because everything would be new and shouldn't need repairing.

Better facilities for me and you wouldn't mean too much, it's the more lucrative corporate stuff we need to build on which would give us a big boost in terms of finances.

The stadium costs are funded by the sale of the surrounding land for housing. The extra revenue streams will only add to the money coming in and it's money we're not getting now.

So by doing all this we get a new stadium, better facilities, more money coming in, less money going out.

The stadium is needed now, not if we ever get to the Championship, the stadium will help us to get into the Championship by being able to compete better financially.

If we stay as we are we are going nowhere but down!

I honestly don't see the problem with a groundshare. Even if its out of the borough of Oldham I aint too bothered. I support the team not the ground.

Lets say we moved to a brand new ground just off the M62 near Milnrow it would be closer to my house than BP is.

Real, to suggest Shaw and Chadderton aren't parts of Oldham is ridiculous

Stadium Maintenance costs the club a lot of money, with a brand-new stadium there is less maintenance costs because everything would be new and shouldn't need repairing.

Better facilities for me and you wouldn't mean too much, it's the more lucrative corporate stuff we need to build on which would give us a big boost in terms of finances.

The stadium costs are funded by the sale of the surrounding land for housing. The extra revenue streams will only add to the money coming in and it's money we're not getting now.

So by doing all this we get a new stadium, better facilities, more money coming in, less money going out.

The stadium is needed now, not if we ever get to the Championship, the stadium will help us to get into the Championship by being able to compete better financially.

If we stay as we are we are going nowhere but down!

I could'nt agre more, imo any ground share idea is a step back

What is wrong with what he said there? If Oldham Athletic moved out of town permanently then I'd stop supporting. I'd like to stay at BP, but can understand if we have to move ground. But if a new ground is not in Oldham/Royton/Chadderton/Failsworth/Saddleworth then they will no longer be representing Oldham, therefore no longer representing me. And as a result I'd stop going, and probably stop watching football....and I'm pretty sure I'm not on my own with that.

I'm in a weird one here Dave - I'm on record as not being the No.1 fan of the MK :censored:heads project, and I would be completely with you in giving up and starting again if the so-called solution was moving to an area that had nothing to do with Oldham. But as various people have said, it's not so cut and dried if you were only talking about a couple of miles in one way or another. Put simply, there aren't many people left who define themselves by their local council or postcode - we both go and stand beside people who consider themselves Mancs, or Gawbies, or Yorkshiremen, rather than Oldhamers (The preceeding examples explain why I have a bath after every game. :censored: Gawbies). I grew up just either side of the Royton/Thornham border, I consider myself a Roytoner, yet I say I am from Rochdale if I'm talking to someone who doesn't care about football, and there must be hundreds if not thousands of our fans who are Latics through and through but never cared about some line in the sand? It didn't fuss me when we moved a few hundred yards North, the pull of Spotland was far too weak...

Incidentally, the Wimbledon issue was heavily down to the Council - Wimbledon has become posh in the last couple of decades, and is certainly so now - hence the club were and in the shape of AFC are, still looking for solutions in other boroughs. There are really a lot of options in the points of principals we take. For me, the club moving as a franchise - no, never. Moving a few miles, why not. To another council? Sorted. Not Oldham in the address? A shame, but if I can get there and it's got a big friendly catchment area, I'll take it.

Out of the ground options currently being speculated over, this is the order of how strongly they appeal to me: -

1) Redevelop Boundary Park for our use only;

2) Redevelop Boundary Park for us and another local team;

3) Build a new ground for us only, within the Oldham area;

4) Build a new ground for us and another local team, within the Oldham area;

5) Build a new ground for us only, outside the Oldham area;

6) Build a new ground for us and another local team, outside the Oldham area;

7) Share a local team's ground.

From what I can gather, options 1 and 2 are looking less likely than I would have hoped (for sentimental reasons) but at least option 7 seems dead in the water, according to Simon Corney's LW interview.

In my opinion, the possibility of Latics playing outside the Oldham area is highly unlikely. There is no doubt in my mind that moving too far would lose us fans and TTA will understand this too. Out of the local clubs we could realistically share a new ground with (Bury, Rochdale and possibly Stockport), I'd say that financially, we would possess the loudest voice when choosing a location.

That leaves options 3 and 4 - both involving a new ground within the Oldham area.

Sentimentality aside, surely this is the best (and only) way forward for Oldham Athletic?

United playing in Trafford is completely different. When they moved to Trafford, football was in its infancy, whereas we have played in Oldham since 1895. There really is no comparison. And Horwich is part of Bolton.

Moving to Tameside, to me, would be no different than Wimbledon being moved to MK. If the people of Tameside want league football, then they can get off their arses and support Droylsden/Stalybridge/Curzon Ashton/Ashton United/Hyde United and hopefully one day they will get in the league. Why on earth would they support us if they moved there? Anyone who wants to support us in Tameside already does. Its not hard to get to BP, you just need to get the 409. Tameside is not the answer. What we need is a new ground, either at BP, or elsewhere in Oldham.

It makes me laugh that people think Tameside is somehow the answer. And that comes from someone who's lived there for the best part of 28 out of my 29yrs of life.

As stated above, there are several clubs littered around Tameside which has it's own small, but very committed support (in total probably a couple of thousand if ya add the clubs gates together.) Then there are Latics fans who travel to BP for games. And then there are hundreds and thousands of Dirty Reds and Blues all over the place, propping up bars and getting 201's down to Eastlands and laid on coaches and mini-buses from Pubs to Old Stretford etc etc etc. In essence, the Town of Oldham that is riddled by Scummers jumping up and down when the spotty one scored (or used to) etc in pubs and homes all over is no different whatsoever a handful of miles down the road. And in conclusion, piss off the core support any further and we'll be looking at Groundsharing with Chaddy FC etc than Bury and Dale. However...I don't think TTA are actually aiming to piss off the majority and Blitz has jumped in to put some meat on Corneys bones...sadly though, the Chron has got a couple of whiffs of a story (for once) and gone for the most negative, explosive angle it could have done. AGAIN. Bit like they did when they got involved over Ferney Fields back in 2005!

The one thing that is interesting that I've not time to trawl through and see if anyone else has commented on is Barry "I've got my eye on you 3" Owen...for someone so in with TTA, it seems this latest dialogue has sailed by him with absolute ease. How worrying!

Edited by boundaryblue80

The one thing that is interesting that I've not time to trawl through and see if anyone else has commented on is Barry "I've got my eye on you 3" Owen...for someone so in with TTA, it seems this latest dialogue has sailed by him with absolute ease. How worrying!

He hasn't been consulted becasue it hasn't been discussed in the boardroom.

If there was a firm proposal now being announced without Barry's knowledge, then it's time to start jumping on tables.

As it is, we have Corney and Blitz effectively floating ideas and possible scenarios for open discussion by fans. Whether this is to "test the water" for something they have in mind, or more a case of them talking openly about a wide range of possibilities for an unknown future doesn't really matter. If there's nothing concrete in mind then I'm quite happy for them to do this - it is a form of consultation. For some bloke in the supporters club (who I've never heard of) to say "we haven't been consulted" is pointless. Ideas have been thrown in to the open. Discuss them. Tell the club what you think. 400 posts on this thread are a superb start to the process of consultation if you ask me.

If TTA were saying "we're knocking down BP to sell off the land, and hopefully we'll find somewhere to play before we do it" then I'd be worried. All their ideas seem to be about finding ways to improve the current situation though.

As for the ground share, I read in to that a short term option for Stockport if their new owners were unable to negotatiate use of Edgeley Park with Sale Sharks. As a stream of income, it's a great idea. Doesn't look like it's going to happen, but I don't doubt somebody in Stockport made a phone call to somebody in Oldham - just in case. BP is better than Moss Rose for 5,000+ County fans every fortnight.

Personally I'd like to see some firm plans with the finance behind them. My preferred option - A 6,000 seater stand at BP to start with. But I'm more than open to a new ground shared or otherwise within Oldham, or within a couple of miles of the Oldham border. Moving to Heywood, Milnrow or Ashton shouldn't be ruled out. But I'd say somewhere like Prestwich or Littleborough is pushing it a little too far.

Edited by opinions4u

The town does rally round when the club gives it something to rally round. Look at the gates we used to get and the 30,000 that went to Wembley. There are few clubs whose crowds don't fall drastically when they tumble down the divisions.

Well that goes without saying doesn't it really, when it was popular and fashionable to do so the general public and I'm guessing the council as well were all over OAFC like a cheap suit. It needs a fresh new look on this; franchise? No. Re-branding? Definitely.

It makes me laugh that people think Tameside is somehow the answer. And that comes from someone who's lived there for the best part of 28 out of my 29yrs of life.

As stated above, there are several clubs littered around Tameside which has it's own small, but very committed support (in total probably a couple of thousand if ya add the clubs gates together.) Then there are Latics fans who travel to BP for games. And then there are hundreds and thousands of Dirty Reds and Blues all over the place, propping up bars and getting 201's down to Eastlands and laid on coaches and mini-buses from Pubs to Old Stretford etc etc etc. In essence, the Town of Oldham that is riddled by Scummers jumping up and down when the spotty one scored (or used to) etc in pubs and homes all over is no different whatsoever a handful of miles down the road. And in conclusion, piss off the core support any further and we'll be looking at Groundsharing with Chaddy FC etc than Bury and Dale. However...I don't think TTA are actually aiming to piss off the majority and Blitz has jumped in to put some meat on Corneys bones...sadly though, the Chron has got a couple of whiffs of a story (for once) and gone for the most negative, explosive angle it could have done. AGAIN. Bit like they did when they got involved over Ferney Fields back in 2005!

I dont think its 'the answer'

Definately not my preferred option (my own preferred option is a brand new stadium at a new site)

But if it was the option that was agreed on I would be up in arms burning effergies of TTA, just because it fell just outside Oldham.

In this case, I think 'the best option for the club' and 'the most popular option amongst the fans' could be two completely different things.

Edited by Lookers_Carl

That is a very good point.

Hasn't Barry Owen isolated himself anyway with the TTA and merely a token jesture?

Out of interest, and quite possibly unrelated, when are the next elections for post in the Trust due?

Edited by singe

Whilst TTA play lip service to the Trust and have be-friended Barry in the main they still see the trust of no consequence really deep down. Indeed the money the trust used to purchase the 3% they believed was the clubs anyway. In the grand scheme of things 3% vote means nothing.

As pointed out prior Blitz states should we ground share we would still be looking for a new site in the borough of Oldham.....but how long woulod we be looking? one year, two years or ten years?. Don't ask Barry currently cos he's not in the loop. Thats not a dig at Barry.

Edited by Lags

i dont believe this people,

are you really ready to give up on the club that easily?

im sure everything theyre doing is all above board with the clubs best interests at heart,

heres the shocking truth: the way things are going there arent going to be many clubs from the bottom two divisions surviving in the future unless they can come up with schemes to sort themselves out financially.

you would rather latics go down on a sinking ship than hop a board a brand new one shared with another club?

thing is i think TTA are still looking at the facts and figures and are nowhere near even considering anything yet, but it came out in the media so they decided to be honest with us and tell us exactly whats going on rather than have everyone think theyre plotting anything sinister, im sure they would have told us first before there was anything concrete

im sure everything theyre doing is all above board with the clubs best interests at heart,

heres the shocking truth: the way things are going there arent going to be many clubs from the bottom two divisions surviving in the future unless they can come up with schemes to sort themselves out financially.

you would rather latics go down on a sinking ship than hop a board a brand new one shared with another club?

thing is i think TTA are still looking at the facts and figures and are nowhere near even considering anything yet, but it came out in the media so they decided to be honest with us and tell us exactly whats going on rather than have everyone think theyre plotting anything sinister, im sure they would have told us first before there was anything concrete

About sums it up...

I don't understand the attachment with BP... Although the whole thing and thinking from people is typically latics... stuck in the past...

As for the trust... 3% is nothing... The trust are nothing... Everything lags said is right...

They haven't told us exactly what's going on. They've made some vague statements about 'looking at various options,' and one director has, to all intents and purposes, contradicted another in public.

I don't understand the attachment with BP.

i can see that, it only been our home for over a 100 years, where all our greatest memories and achievments happened.

its part of our history, Boundary park is the home of oldham athletic.

if we have to move to survive and compete then we have to move with the times.

but for a oldham fan to say that is just :omg::wacko:

i can see that, it only been our home for over a 100 years, where all our greatest memories and achievments happened.

its part of our history, Boundary park is the home of oldham athletic.

if we have to move to survive and compete then we have to move with the times.

but for a oldham fan to say that is just :omg::wacko:

I once had a bike I loved... Had so many great times on it... Over time it became knackered and uneconomical to maintain... Got a new bike now and the old one is a distant but loved memory...

Main Road...Highbury....Burden Park...etc etc etc...

Time to move out of the dark ages....or we can stay as we are and enjoy the successful we have had over the last 15 or so years...

Edited by oafc0000