Barry Owen on Attendances

Do you know what I hate, people who don't vote in general elections but still moan about the government.

Difference between a "general" election and a "closed" election....

General election you elect the party you support...

Closed election you join a party you support and elect a leader...

Your asking us to join a party we dont support...

Also some trust members claimed they did not get opportunity to vote... and from what I understand it was a one person/party system anyway...

Edited by oafc0000

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would bash the trust if like many others we gave a crap, but i know many fans without internet who dont even know what the trust is.

What needs to happen is the club, trust and supporters have a Ronnie Moore style meeting at the Rocky, give our opinions and make sure we are damn well heard!

it might go in one ear and out the other, but the club needs to acknowledge the fans have major concerns over more issues than just the stadium.

I am one of those fans who cant go often this season, for quite a few reasons, but the major one is i have fallen out of love with the club, and the only way i could be enticed back is by showing initiative.

There are loads of schools in Oldham that are not being utilised, free tickets are great but to really give kids a matchday experience why not make it fun.

I wont say anymore seeing as the club dont want outsiders telling them what they should do.

You expect a man, who has never been to Latics to pay £20, and they wonder why the fanbase is dwindling!

I would bash the trust if like many others we gave a crap, but i know many fans without internet who dont even know what the trust is.

What needs to happen is the club, trust and supporters have a Ronnie Moore style meeting at the Rocky, give our opinions and make sure we are damn well heard!

it might go in one ear and out the other, but the club needs to acknowledge the fans have major concerns over more issues than just the stadium.

I am one of those fans who cant go often this season, for quite a few reasons, but the major one is i have fallen out of love with the club, and the only way i could be enticed back is by showing initiative.

There are loads of schools in Oldham that are not being utilised, free tickets are great but to really give kids a matchday experience why not make it fun.

I wont say anymore seeing as the club dont want outsiders telling them what they should do.

You expect a man, who has never been to Latics to pay £20, and they wonder why the fanbase is dwindling!

To be honest Beardy I'm glad yer not going to many games after seeing you on Sky v MK Dons - there's no way you should be allowed out of the house in that monstrosity of a jacket! (The multicoloured effort) :sick01::sign0068: "My eyes, my beautiful eyes...."

Bad management - Shez's final season, spent with crap loan players all over the pitch and what appeared to be wide-spread indiscipline broke a few hearts around BP.

It is not true to state that ambition and success are the sole drivers for good attendances because we have finished towards the top of the table the last two years after flirting with promotion for most of last, and the year before being done out of a chance to challenge by injuries. Yet all we have seen is attandances fade.

If I had to pick one issue it would be club identity. I will pay £20 to get in although it is too much, but I want to see a team of Chrissy Taylors. Not ginger wingers but products of the local area who genuinely care. Or anyone who cares for that matter - I even liked 50p-head Garnett because he was with us for years and seemed to have the club at heart. We need to stop cutting 10 or so players out every summer and replacing them, we need guys who will be part of a club that builds towards success.

As for the money - I understand the pricing but I think that reducing the cost to £18 would be wise - suddenly you could go and have a pie and you feel like you are only spending £20 (even though you might actually spend £22 or £23), whereas in your mind if you pay £20 in and buy a pie you feel like you have paid £25 to £30 by the end and if you are like me that is a psychological factor.

Bad management - Shez's final season, spent with crap loan players all over the pitch and what appeared to be wide-spread indiscipline broke a few hearts around BP.

It is not true to state that ambition and success are the sole drivers for good attendances because we have finished towards the top of the table the last two years after flirting with promotion for most of last, and the year before being done out of a chance to challenge by injuries. Yet all we have seen is attandances fade.

If I had to pick one issue it would be club identity. I will pay £20 to get in although it is too much, but I want to see a team of Chrissy Taylors. Not ginger wingers but products of the local area who genuinely care. Or anyone who cares for that matter - I even liked 50p-head Garnett because he was with us for years and seemed to have the club at heart. We need to stop cutting 10 or so players out every summer and replacing them, we need guys who will be part of a club that builds towards success.

As for the money - I understand the pricing but I think that reducing the cost to £18 would be wise - suddenly you could go and have a pie and you feel like you are only spending £20 (even though you might actually spend £22 or £23), whereas in your mind if you pay £20 in and buy a pie you feel like you have paid £25 to £30 by the end and if you are like me that is a psychological factor.

Exactly we need some continuity with regards to the playing squad. Although with all these new signings some will inevitably not work out and we'll be back to square one again.

Edited by Butter

Ok guys and gals

The following statement in italics is from Barry. Barry went on holiday after saturdays game and has very limited internet access where he currently is. Apparently his story in the chron was meant to go out mid last week but due to some problem or another there, it didnt. Hence barry followed on the following statement to wardlelatic, who forwarded it onto me to put up on here.

First of all can I thank all fans who have posted some excellent opinions and suggestions on the thread.

I had no ulterior motive when speaking in the press and my only concern is the long term future of Oldham Athletic Football Club. That should not be seen as any indication that I do not have complete faith in our current owners who continue to stand by and support the club who might have thought that with hindsight they could have made a better and more sound investment.

They are not only owners but supporters and I have yet to see any greater enthusiasm at other clubs when meeting owners.

My article achieved what I set out to do and that was to obtain the views and opinions of fans. It is also the case that views of fans away from OWTB are also very valid and I wanted to encourage the larger debate through the press.

You will also be aware that Simon Blitz has visited and commented on this topic and I know like the other board members at the club that he takes careful note of what is being said.

I really do need to clear up a couple of points which I have previously chosen to ignore. A number of posters have suggested that in the past I have stated that I only take my own views into the board room. I refute ever making such claims and from the outset it would be quite foolish to state anyway even if it was true. If I have given such inferences I apologies’ and perhaps those who accuse me will point out the post that was made indicating this.

It is suggested that I am at some distance with the fans because I do not play any direct role in posting on the site any longer.

I don’t seem able to do right for wrong because many of you will remember that I was asked not to keep posting on the site as my input was “unhelpful”. In those days I also received a great deal of personal abuse and insults and indeed I was contacted personally by many members expressing their concerns at the treatment I was receiving. I therefore felt it in everyone’s interest that I ceased to have any direct input by posting regularly.

However I do log in to the site regularly to gauge opinion and views and it might upset a few to know that from these opinions I fight the corner of the fans on many issues within the boardroom.

On the issues of the Trust I must come forward in support of my colleagues who work tirelessly in the interest of the club they love. This is not a back slapping exercise but more to do with pointing out that contrary to opinion we do work as democratic body of people. We go forward as one but that is not to say that everyone agrees to some extent or another on every topic under discussion. That is a healthy position and I would be concerned if it was any other way.

In my opinion it is unfortunate that a minority of posters are blinded with negativity that is destructive to the club. Strangely a lot of these people admit to still having great interest in the club but have ceased to attend games for other reasons than finance.

I ceased to be upset long ago by personal comments and abuse towards the Trust and if people still feel inclined to such comments then I prefer I shoulder them as opposed to newer colleagues who do a great job in the fans interest.

As always I again extend the invitation to meet any individual or group of fans to discuss any issues within my remit.

Difference between a "general" election and a "closed" election....

General election you elect the party you support...

Closed election you join a party you support and elect a leader...

Your asking us to join a party we dont support...

Also some trust members claimed they did not get opportunity to vote... and from what I understand it was a one person/party system anyway...

I am a Trust member, and I live away from Oldham.

I get no news letter or any communication.

I was not informed of any vote for the Trust Chairman

I was not informed there was a 5 year election up for renewal

I was not informed of any postal system

It seems because only the Trust Directors attending voted.

An did any Trust Directors inform me they thery were going to vote.

And did we see any results of the elections posted?

And even the way they had voted.

There's certainly a transparency issue here, and a good deal away from the club.

I can tell you how I feel, it's no way to run a Trust. The clue s in the title. Trust.

There is a managemtn theory by Blake that manager with a high degree of focussing on making sure people are well looked after but not muhc on the output are defianed as Country Club managers, and basically they disappear when called into question, and you will find them in there office all the time in times of trouble.

I feel that it what has happened. Communication has dried up in the face of criticism (valid or not) on here and elsewhere.

Rather than come out fighting, come out with a clear strategy and define the roles spell clearly what everyone is doing.

Talk to us.

Edited by singe

Ok guys and gals

The following statement in italics is from Barry. Barry went on holiday after saturdays game and has very limited internet access where he currently is. Apparently his story in the chron was meant to go out mid last week but due to some problem or another there, it didnt. Hence barry followed on the following statement to wardlelatic, who forwarded it onto me to put up on here.

First of all can I thank all fans who have posted some excellent opinions and suggestions on the thread.

I had no ulterior motive when speaking in the press and my only concern is the long term future of Oldham Athletic Football Club. That should not be seen as any indication that I do not have complete faith in our current owners who continue to stand by and support the club who might have thought that with hindsight they could have made a better and more sound investment.

They are not only owners but supporters and I have yet to see any greater enthusiasm at other clubs when meeting owners.

My article achieved what I set out to do and that was to obtain the views and opinions of fans. It is also the case that views of fans away from OWTB are also very valid and I wanted to encourage the larger debate through the press.

You will also be aware that Simon Blitz has visited and commented on this topic and I know like the other board members at the club that he takes careful note of what is being said.

I really do need to clear up a couple of points which I have previously chosen to ignore. A number of posters have suggested that in the past I have stated that I only take my own views into the board room. I refute ever making such claims and from the outset it would be quite foolish to state anyway even if it was true. If I have given such inferences I apologies’ and perhaps those who accuse me will point out the post that was made indicating this.

It is suggested that I am at some distance with the fans because I do not play any direct role in posting on the site any longer.

I don’t seem able to do right for wrong because many of you will remember that I was asked not to keep posting on the site as my input was “unhelpful”. In those days I also received a great deal of personal abuse and insults and indeed I was contacted personally by many members expressing their concerns at the treatment I was receiving. I therefore felt it in everyone’s interest that I ceased to have any direct input by posting regularly.

However I do log in to the site regularly to gauge opinion and views and it might upset a few to know that from these opinions I fight the corner of the fans on many issues within the boardroom.

On the issues of the Trust I must come forward in support of my colleagues who work tirelessly in the interest of the club they love. This is not a back slapping exercise but more to do with pointing out that contrary to opinion we do work as democratic body of people. We go forward as one but that is not to say that everyone agrees to some extent or another on every topic under discussion. That is a healthy position and I would be concerned if it was any other way.

In my opinion it is unfortunate that a minority of posters are blinded with negativity that is destructive to the club. Strangely a lot of these people admit to still having great interest in the club but have ceased to attend games for other reasons than finance.

I ceased to be upset long ago by personal comments and abuse towards the Trust and if people still feel inclined to such comments then I prefer I shoulder them as opposed to newer colleagues who do a great job in the fans interest.

As always I again extend the invitation to meet any individual or group of fans to discuss any issues within my remit.

Right we have had the debate what action is going to happen from here?

Ok guys and gals

:ranting:

Just tried to get onto rivals.net to find it unavailable.... You know the place where Barry used to post a lot...

The second bolded section shows you up Barry.... So its people like me and Beardy who are destructive to the club... NO attempt to find out or understand why we are upset...no...you label us "blinded by negativity"....

Edited by oafc0000

Ok guys and gals

Instead of going on the defensive Barry, tell us what you are going to do about OUR concerns over the way the club and the Trust is being run. Typical bloody bog-standard reply, all you've posted there is how hard done by you and your exclusive chums are. Have you ever thought of being a politician? As for denying the bit about only taking your opinion into the boardroom that is ludicrous and you know it. Many of us remember your posts on JK and we challenged you at the time. I don't really want to call you a liar, as the proof is no longer available due to the demise of the old rivals.net, but if the cap fits...

Stop treating us like bloody idiots!

Edited by oafcprozac

I am a Trust member, and I live away from Oldham.

I get no news letter or any communication.

I was not informed of any vote for the Trust Chairman

I was not informed there was a 5 year election up for renewal

I was not informed of any postal system

It seems because only the Trust Directors attending voted.

An did any Trust Directors inform me they thery were going to vote.

And did we see any results of the elections posted?

And even the way they had voted.

There's certainly a transparency issue here, and a good deal away from the club.

I can tell you how I feel, it's no way to run a Trust. The clue s in the title. Trust.

There is a managemtn theory by Blake that manager with a high degree of focussing on making sure people are well looked after but not muhc on the output are defianed as Country Club managers, and basically they disappear when called into question, and you will find them in there office all the time in times of trouble.

I feel that it what has happened. Communication has dried up in the face of criticism (valid or not) on here and elsewhere.

Rather than come out fighting, come out with a clear strategy and define the roles spell clearly what everyone is doing.

Talk to us.

....your just blinded by negativity....

Instead of going on the defensive Barry, tell us what you are going to do about OUR concerns over the way the club and the Trust is being run. Typical bloody bog-standard reply, all you've posted there is how hard done by you and your exclusive chums are. Have you ever thought of being a politician? As for denying the bit about only taking your opinion into the boardroom that is ludicrous and you know it. Many of us remember your posts on JK and we challenged you at the time. I don't really want to call you a liar, as the proof is no longer available due to the demise of the old rivals.net, but if the cap fits...

Stop treating us like bloody idiots!

:applause1:

:applause1:

As a member of the board, surely Bazza already knows many of the reasons why the club are failing to attract people through the gates. In fact I know he does as many of the failings I've heard about have come from the trust, so why is he attempting to humour us? He knows what will help increase the crowds - namely a decent marketing budget and an incumbent that knows his arse from his elbow!

Simples....

As a member of the board, surely Bazza already knows many of the reasons why the club are failing to attract people through the gates. In fact I know he does as many of the failings I've heard about have come from the trust, so why is he attempting to humour us? He knows what will help increase the crowds - namely a decent marketing budget and an incumbent that knows his arse from his elbow!

Simples....

Why in deed....

After all the good suggestions, valid concerns and worries... His reply is self serving, defensive but most of all f***ing useless waffle...

:petesake:

Edited by oafc0000

"However I do log in to the site regularly to gauge opinion and views and it might upset a few to know that from these opinions I fight the corner of the fans on many issues within the boardroom."

like a large portion of fans who are absolutely against the proposed move to failsworth?

i've met just 3 people who are very happy indeed with this move,but for reasons i won't go into, i absolutely understand why....people i know, in the pubs before and after games, on travels to away games..the VAST majority plainly do not want it..."a move, yes, failsworth no" is the common judgement.

barry, you have stated to be "very happy with this" ..no let me rephrase that...you stated that the trust fully support this move.

yet i personally know members of the trust who have voiced their concerns over this.

so... the position of the trust isn't happy 100% is it?.

so, not only are you going against a large proportion of latics fans opinion, you aren't really representing, fighting the corner of the fans...are you?

"However I do log in to the site regularly to gauge opinion and views and it might upset a few to know that from these opinions I fight the corner of the fans on many issues within the boardroom."

like a large portion of fans who are absolutely against the proposed move to failsworth?

i've met just 3 people who are very happy indeed with this move,but for reasons i won't go into, i absolutely understand why....people i know, in the pubs before and after games, on travels to away games..the VAST majority plainly do not want it..."a move, yes, failsworth no" is the common judgement.

barry, you have stated to be "very happy with this" ..no let me rephrase that...you stated that the trust fully support this move.

yet i personally know members of the trust who have voiced their concerns over this.

so, not only are you going against a large proportion of latics fans opinion, you aren't really representing, fighting the corner of the fans...are you?

This is it exactly, i thought the trust were supposed to listen to our concerns, then go and raise them and finally supply some kind of feedback, not just bulldoze on regardless!

If so many fans have real concerns over failsworth as the chosen site...does this not set alarm bells ringing?

TBH Barry, im not blinded by negativity.

Im dissapointed at the lack of potential within the club!

Ive seen all these comments about get it right on the pitch and the club will look after itself, but i dont agree as its a total chicken and egg situation, we are stagnating and the only people who cant see this are the club, and its frustrating.

Failsworth is a bold move and personally my viewpoint is if we move it will kill the club, there are so many areas in Oldham that could be looked into further but unfortunately i dont have the resources to do so, a big one for me is the massive area between Sholver and Derker, that is a great area and you have a train track running right through it!

Of course so many other people will have other areas, but Failsworth must never happen!

Understandablly people will be against FAilsworth, I can even see a shift of position people moving against. I can even understand that there is a snowball effect. Obviously you speak to fans, but to say the VAST Majority do not want to move to FAilsworth is wrong, JP.

When announced my polls howed 90% were OK with the move. You may say it is only a poll, but it still represents more people than you have spoken to. The VAST Majority were from the OL & M postcodes. That may fall, but I am prepared to be a VAST majority are in fact in favour of the move.

I may even do a poll. It does not prove it, but 100's voted on the last, and statistically it is very relevant and cannot be discounted, but it only will be fair that it is re done after the plans are revealed.

Understandablly people will be against FAilsworth, I can even see a shift of position people moving against. I can even understand that there is a snowball effect. Obviously you speak to fans, but to say the VAST Majority do not want to move to FAilsworth is wrong, JP.

When announced my polls howed 90% were OK with the move. You may say it is only a poll, but it still represents more people than you have spoken to. The VAST Majority were from the OL & M postcodes. That may fall, but I am prepared to be a VAST majority are in fact in favour of the move.

I may even do a poll. It does not prove it, but 100's voted on the last, and statistically it is very relevant and cannot be discounted, but it only will be fair that it is re done after the plans are revealed.

it was actually in favour as NO

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=25360

very close, but not the vast majority, just to say every latics fan i speak to, who dont post on here are strongly against the move aswell

edit; the poll you are refering to doesnt answer the question of 'do you want the club to move to Failsworth', people are voting on the question of 'will moving to Failsworth affect you watching latics'

Edited by creepy

I think JP has a very good point with what he said. I am yet to speak to anyone at games, or in the pub before/after the game, that isn't against the move to Failsworth.

There was a poll on here, but is OWTB really representative of all the fans? I think the only was to find out whether or not the VAST majority of fans is for or against the move would be to do a poll at a home game. Even that wouldn't be totally accurate, but it would be the most accurate we could get I think.

I think JP has a very good point with what he said. I am yet to speak to anyone at games, or in the pub before/after the game, that isn't against the move to Failsworth.

There was a poll on here, but is OWTB really representative of all the fans? I think the only was to find out whether or not the VAST majority of fans is for or against the move would be to do a poll at a home game. Even that wouldn't be totally accurate, but it would be the most accurate we could get I think.

I do concur that would be the best way.

And it will be intersting to see the variation.

agree.

i know i few few faces on latics travels..we talk about these things, and no one barring the 3 persons i've already mentioned want it.

i'll twist this around...does barry/TTA actually think the vast majority WANT the move to failsworth...

he's in for a huge shock if he thinks so.

as for the poll...as above, it isn't a full representation of the fans view,but a small poll from about 5% of the regular home crowd,but i'll say this...i'll wager that some who voted yes in that poll have since thought it through more as more people here discuss it, and thought "mmm..something isn't right here after all".

the mood is changing more against it.

Edited by johnny punkster

it was actually in favour as NO

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=25360

very close, but not the vast majority, just to say every latics fan i speak to, who dont post on here are strongly against the move aswell

edit; the poll you are refering to doesnt answer the question of 'do you want the club to move to Failsworth', people are voting on the question of 'will moving to Failsworth affect you watching latics'

I know and I am confident in my poll because:

It did not start with "Do you think Latics shoudl move from it's spiritual home, BP" Which you have to agree was just a little biased.

Mine had 351 responses v 179.

I am not saying I am right, and certainly nothing like JP is wrong I acknowledge the increased anti Failsworth-ites, I just have an issue with the vast majority statement.

Another survey/poll showed something like 90% of people who responded live in OL & M postcodes, so 350 people,and roughly 90% from around OL & M, yest it has a very strong representation.