Barry Owen on Attendances

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

singe..

can i suggest, when you get up here for your next home game,or if you are at charlton tomorrow, to just gauge some opinions on it.a straight yes or no to the move to failsworth.

ask in the bars, at the ground etc like i have.

honestly,i'm very sure you'll easily come to the same conclusion as i.

a move is ok, its the failsworth issue that folk ain't wanting.

How about another poll to guage opinion again.

I'd like to get the question right, so also stop Yard Dog goint into one!

How about

What do you now think about the move to Failsworth.

Good move

Bad move

all for it, but what ever the result, you are only hitting a small minority of latics fans here.

not everyone has a computer etc.

How about

Good move

Bad move

It does need a simplified poll. Just a Yay, Nay, or Unconvinced. Choosing between these 3 options makes it easier.

I'm personally 100% behind the move to Failsworth.

How about

Good move

Bad move

I'm with JP here, i think most people agree a move is the only way forward if we can't re-develop where we are, but failsworth is a very poor choice. All my friends who support latics are of the same opinion.

This is a very important decision in the future of oldham athletic...it has to be the right one!

I think JP has a very good point with what he said. I am yet to speak to anyone at games, or in the pub before/after the game, that isn't against the move to Failsworth.

There was a poll on here, but is OWTB really representative of all the fans? I think the only was to find out whether or not the VAST majority of fans is for or against the move would be to do a poll at a home game. Even that wouldn't be totally accurate, but it would be the most accurate we could get I think.

we wish!

a poll at a home game, isnt in TTA best interests is it?

if Failsworth gets voted against then TTA will not 'bankroll' the club anymore, put us up for sale and they leave without making a profit, which is why they are here in the first place

its exactly the reason why Failsworth is being rushed through, and it stinks to high heaven

but its quite simple to tick yes or no at the turnstyles, isnt it funny how we havent been offered that option

"Andy covering tracks"

Fair enough. May I rephrase? If you edit as well Rummy then I think that will cover it?

I've had enough.

Q) Has there ever been concern raised in the Trust Boardroom that Barry may have expressed personal doubts about the commitment to the Club of TTA to people outside of the privacy of the club and Trust boardrooms?

Q) Has there been any discussion about TTA's motives since during Trust board meetings?

Q) Do any current Trust directors think Barry has aspirations to heading up the club himself?

Q) Have any Trust directors done a Peter Mandelson job on Barry's public utterances over the last 18 months or so - as if the problem was the style, rather than the content of what he said? Do all Trust directors know that it hasn't been Barry's voice in public statements but that of a shadowy figure in the background? And given that it is Barry's opinions that caused offence rather than his style, doesn't this mean that public statements from the Trust Chairman have actually been coming from someone who hasn't even been through the sham election process that we didn't see recently?

For the record, although I have no doubt that TTA are looking to make a profit, I actually trust them a lot more than I do the Trust as it stands. I like TTA. I spent 20 seconds doing business with Mr Blitz and came away counting my fingers, but that's because he is good at what he does. I challenge Barry to say that he is the fans' representative in the boardroom.

Edited by leeslover

The other parts of the post seemed highly relevant... Maybe it should be re-posted minus the offending comments?

Maybe we should think about what we say before we post or better still, sleep off the liquor. I ain't gonna debate it.

Can I just say that in nearly 30 years of being a fan I have never felt so distant from the club or its future. I attend most matches home and away with my old man. He is nearly 70 and does not have internet at home, his only source of info is the chron. Likewise I work over 70 hours per week, and I don't have time to keep up to date other than transfers and team issues. I would class us both as being good loyal supporters but I know nothing about the future of the club or the motives of the chairman. However, as time goes by I am more and more sceptical about the owners, this is for no good reason but I get the impression they are trying to get shut of us pretty quickly.

I would still watch the team in Failsworth, we have a 100 mile round trip anyway so the distance isn't a problem. I do know many older fans around me at the ground who wont follow the team down there. They wont be voting on a crap pointless online poll though as none of them have internet.

As for the trust I made a large donation to them (instead of buying a new car) when the club was in trouble. However, I cancelled my membership with them after meeting some of them, including Barry, at an away game at Barnsley a few years ago. They had no interest in listening to my genuine ideas and concerns, all they could talk about was how many free tickets they had been given and did I want one. I have no idea now what the trust represents, it certainly does not represent the loyal fan as none of the guys around me could tell you the first thing about them.

All the fighting on this thread is only going to make people like me feel even more like bystanders. I dont think I would ever stop watchng latics although over the last couple of years we have come close. When I cant make a latics game I watch non-league football near where I live, Harrogate Town or Farsley Celtic. It is incredible how different it feels watching these teams, there is good humour and banter with players and management. They want you to be there and you feel you are part of something.

However, as time goes by I am more and more sceptical about the owners, this is for no good reason but I get the impression they are trying to get shut of us pretty quickly.
It looks that way. To be fair to them, they've effectively said as much. But I think that should be put in context.

If they were bad owners they would transfer ownership of the Club to a holding company. The holding company would wind up the football club and shiny new houses would be built on BP and no Failsowrth move would happen.

I would still watch the team in Failsworth, we have a 100 mile round trip anyway so the distance isn't a problem. I do know many older fans around me at the ground who wont follow the team down there.
Even if the Club laid on free buses on matchdays? (They might need to in order to maintain support!).

They wont be voting on a crap pointless online poll though as none of them have internet.
I think we all know that polls on here should only be taken as an indicator of opinion of thosae voting. Not as a consensus. But well worded online polls do have value, if only in letting the powers that be understand concerns.

As for the trust I made a large donation to them (instead of buying a new car) when the club was in trouble. However, I cancelled my membership with them after meeting some of them, including Barry, at an away game at Barnsley a few years ago. They had no interest in listening to my genuine ideas and concerns, all they could talk about was how many free tickets they had been given and did I want one. I have no idea now what the trust represents, it certainly does not represent the loyal fan as none of the guys around me could tell you the first thing about them.
I only see the Trust as having value should the long term future of professional football in Oldham be threatened. I see little point in paying a fiver a year to maintain it. Your comment actually suggests that the Trust has the marketing skills of a lower league football club :grin: .

They want you to be there and you feel you are part of something.
When a director comes out and moans at people for not coming, it doesn't make them want to come back.

There are an awful lot of very sensible suggestions in this thread, many of which seem like a common sense approach to running a football club in the modern age.

As a side issue, I have to say it smarts a little to hear the Trust's main man, who is probably far more affluent than the average fan and gets free admission to games, labelling the club's support as disgraceful.

Barry makes a very valid point in all of this though!!!

"It is also the case that views of fans away from OWTB are also very valid and I wanted to encourage the larger debate through the press."

So do two things...

Have a Rochdale Road End forum...

Open up trust meetings to everyone...

...hey, what do I know, I am just blinded by negativity...

:petesake:

Edited by oafc0000

There is a bigger/and just as valid (if not a lot more) valid points of view outside of this board - that was the point that was being made.

erm yeah... I get that... and I am making a suggestion on how to get that view point registered...

How does Barry plan on hearing that wider message ? I have made two suggestions...

Edited by oafc0000

You'd turn up for a forum at the ground? You don't turn up for matches.

To be quite frank my opinion is registered on here every single day... They are after the wider view point of all these people without a computer...

I would suggest the best way of doing that is to have a forum in the Rochdale road end as a good way of doing that...

Moaning in the press is just that... If you want to hear peoples comments, speak to them, dont moan behind a paper which is a one way communication method...

Edited by oafc0000

LaticsPete... Your contribution lately has been to follow me from thread to thread highlighting that I dont go to the games at the moment.... I think people get it mate...

Can I suggest you put your efforts into working out why people like me (after 20 years + attendance) are choosing not to go at the moment and how that could be fixed...

...and people say I am the one blinded by negativity...

Edited by oafc0000

Whilst I have concerns regarding the Trust, I really would like them to psecifically address and concentrate on Marketing of the club. Volunteers keeping the database and sending out info. THat way the costs are keept down. ackey would be a great eprson to design what goes out, the Trust colleate nad work on the info. This way people not based in Oldham can help.

The problem is so simple and yet so difficult to solve.

Many of the younger generation in Oldham actually consider themsleves to be Mancunian. :petesake:

They don't care about Oldham and they don't care about Latics. If I go away with my mates they tell people they're from Manchester, I say I'm from Oldham and vehemently refute being a Manc, to their disgust. They embrace it and pretend to be Ian Brown.

Crucially, they therefore think it's perfectly acceptable to support United/City, plus they enjoy it for free!

I fear it will only get worse.

Sadly, it's the same everywhere.

Many of the younger generation of Birkenhead / Wirral are aspirational scousers, as they seem to think that label will provide them with extra kudos or urban "street cred".

Of course this attitude extends to football too, and those brought up as part of the "Sky Generation" will more than likely gravitate towards Liverpool or Everton, rather than supporting their local team.

Apologies if this has already been said, as I've not trawled through the majority of this thread, but I reckon clubs like Oldham & Tranmere have to position themselves very much as part of their local community, where fans can actually feel appreciated and actually feel part of the club, rather than merely being an anonymous customer, like at the big clubs. Let's face it, we can't compete in terms of the quality of football, but surely we can provide a more authentic matchday experience?

Unfortunately in your case (and I'm not gloating by the way as we have more than enough issues of our own at the moment), the problem I foresee for Oldham is retaining that local community feel if you do move to Failsworth, as the issue is not so much that it's a great distance away from your roots, but rather the direction - i.e. much nearer the city centre, and that could ultimately erode your fanbase further, the less committed of whom may be drawn to the delights of the big city.

Regrettably, like you, I do fear that despite our best efforts, the situation will only get worse.