Hardy in Oldham pay cut warning

Erupt with outrage? Maybe a tad melodramatic, but please allow me to retort. There is no evidence to suggest Gannon would have been any better in this situation. You could've had Jose I'm The Special One Bob Paisley in charge, you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear.

And get this.

It's going to happen again next season.

I know it will happen again next year except we will go one better and go down. For the record, barring 4-5 i think we have a half decent squad in there, it is just how they are being managed that is the problem.

Fans: Go down with 'a point is better than none' DP, or 'we will give every team a game with passion commitment and try to play attacking football' with Gannon

I know my choice. Gannon has fight and passion in him, as you can see wherever he has been, not just at county and he is ambitious. Long term we can get promoted if everyone has the same mentality, just a shame we have a board and manager seemingly displaying the exact opposite.

You are right, Gannon may turn out to be able to not better what DP has done, but it is how the team goes about every game which is the main gripe this year, not so much the relegation scrap.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest that has been an open inviation for a long time. No one has any money to pee up the wall though.

They did get Mike Newton though.

Have you noticed how these statements come just as everyone is getting positive (e have survived) or excited (numerous important games seasons past)....

they always do,our club has this knack of kicking its fans in the teeth just when you think its getting better...

emotional blackmail at its fines....forget the fact the owners are worth 70 million..lets just hit the fans with the ....reduced budget means no star players meaning make do and mend

so midtable next season then....they might as well just hang the closed sign on the doors after charlton game

From BBC

Not sure what this means in the long term but it looks like we wont be signing any big names over the summer, or even afford someone like guy or flav.

Also would seem that we wouldnt be able to pay DP off so we're stuck with him over the summer.

(cant find this anywhere else but if i've missed it, delete this one)

Not the ideal way to boost season ticket sales. :(

But was anyone seriously expecting a larger wage budget given the average attendance has dropped by over 1000 from last season (in the region of 15-20 percent)??

At the end of the day, TTA's pockets aren't bottomless, and no doubt the recession will have hit them as well. Simon Corney has quoted in the chron a couple of times (see here) that TTA can subsidise crowds in the 5.5k-6k region, but not 4600 or lower.

I agree with you, I thought an increased budget was unlikely but possible. It's a possible solution to improve the team and increase money coming into the club. With the same budget you can say that Penney would be able get more value out of it from his first season in charge. Having a decreased budget as it sounds here makes things even harder.

Players out of contract such as Whittaker are going to be offered lower terms, it doesn't mean that they'll leave as Gregan came back on reduced terms but it will make it harder to sign them up.

I hope that TTA will still release money for signings should they be the right signings.

We're part of a visious circle, fans not attending games, budget cut, less fans attending, budget cut even further. Something has to give or it will get progressively worse and harder to compete.

What's going to give or shall we continue down this path?

I agree with you, I thought an increased budget was unlikely but possible. It's a possible solution to improve the team and increase money coming into the club. With the same budget you can say that Penney would be able get more value out of it from his first season in charge. Having a decreased budget as it sounds here makes things even harder.

Players out of contract such as Whittaker are going to be offered lower terms, it doesn't mean that they'll leave as Gregan came back on reduced terms but it will make it harder to sign them up.

I hope that TTA will still release money for signings should they be the right signings.

We're part of a visious circle, fans not attending games, budget cut, less fans attending, budget cut even further. Something has to give or it will get progressively worse and harder to compete.

What's going to give or shall we continue down this path?

I can't see it improving.

I for example used to hold a season ticket. I later just payed on the day and sat in the paddock. To be fair i went to the majority of games. This season i went to several games at the start of the season. I have been to norwich and exeter but stopped going all together. I went on sat for the first time in ages. To be honest i wasn't entertained to the point of actually being bored. If it was around £15 a game then i might attend but £20 is definitely not worth it! Sat in the sun in the rocky was the best bit. I'm sure there are plenty like me. I also know quite a few people who will not be renewing their season tickets next season. The club is in serious trouble with regards to losing fans.

Not the ideal way to boost season ticket sales. :(

Basically what we did at the end of 97/98 and Warnock walked, Stitch was appointed and we were left with a team of kids. This time we won't be so lucky and we'll go down next season. We're staring another 96/97 in the face, as Sharp said, keep chopping the tree will fall. The fans are pissed off enough with the way the club has been run over the last three or four years, this statement once the Chron get hold of it will be the straw that breaks the camel's back amongst our apathetic fanbase.

I've sent off my ST Form but I want to hear a lot more before I sign the agreement and return it back to the finance company...my loyalty used to be unconditional but if the owners isn't why should mine be?

Harsh reality of where we are at the moment. For me the attendances this season are a result of a number of factors:

- We have been struggling at the bottom of the table - with low scoring games and generally average at best performances (though I think we have improved since February onwards)

Whilst this is a big factor, its not the only one in my opinion.

- Every year we are in this division, we lose more fans. Long periods of pretty much zero success reduces crowds, so even with a mid-table ok football season crowds would have dropped.

- The stadium. The removal of the lookers stand was a factor - I know people who sat in there who have not come back. It also makes the whole ground feel depressing.

- Weather. We have had a number of games postponed, from weekends to mid-week. As a season ticket holder this has caused me to miss 3 or 4 games this season. Mid-week attendances are generally lower.

- Geography. The number of southern teams in the division means we get lower away gates, and possibly home gates as well.

Throwing money at the team doesn't guarantee success in the same way that reducing the budget doesn't guarantee failure. AH is using proper business sense in having the courage to balance the books for the long term benefit of the club. If the club was run by this board we'd be sacking managers left right and centre and be in administration.

If we combine the wages of lomax, parker, worthington, rowney, alessandra, colbeck and brill (IMO players who have contributed c*ck all on the pitch this season) we could use those wages to bring in two or three quality players.

Penney has to make the right signings and trim his squad.

That said, it is pretty obvious that there continues to be a culling of players in general from the Football league downwards (Prem still has its head in the sand). So that most other clubs will be in the same boat.

ie 10% might have to come off everyones budget, so it is not as bleak as some have suggested.

It aslo gives us a chance to pick up a bargain or two,.

Unlike most clubs we do have sensible backers, some have no money at all. you only have to look at Notts county and Portsmouth.

It's all beginning tounravel, and we must remeber the TTA have backed us for a very long time, and for a lot of money.

It has not worked yet.

But at least Penney has a bit of a record of the non league scene, and bringing through some youngsters.

I am not sure why AH had to say it, even though common sense says he is right.

My cynical hat says he is aiming at various players that negotiations have started with.

Who is on a contract till next season.

Gregan?

Edited by singe

dont think that this will make that much difference as all players are going to have to accept less or have no job

Myself and a few other posters on here will have no job in 8 weeks,I was going to renew my season ticket today, after that statement i may reconsider

Even IF we had a decent budget for players next season can you imagine the :censored:e that Penny would sign.

£60k for Colbeck beggars believe and maybe the TTA have said budget cuts so he doesn't sign anymore expensive dross.

The only way this club will move forward is getting more people through the gates. Penny has been extremely good at doing the opposite.

Poor performances , boring football , lowest scorers in the league , doesn't need a magician to work out why our average gates are down by 1000 .

All caused by PENNY , HE IS CR*P ,

get him out before he takes us down to league 2

Even IF we had a decent budget for players next season can you imagine the :censored:e that Penny would sign.

£60k for Colbeck beggars believe and maybe the TTA have said budget cuts so he doesn't sign anymore expensive dross.

The only way this club will move forward is getting more people through the gates. Penny has been extremely good at doing the opposite.

Poor performances , boring football , lowest scorers in the league , doesn't need a magician to work out why our average gates are down by 1000 .

Where do you suppose the money will come from to get rid of him?

I have no sympathy for the board whatsoever.

Unlike previous managers, no one really actively called for Shez's head prior to his sacking ( i agree he should have gone), i.e. they weren't actively pressurised by fans for him to be fired, they chose to do that of their own accord.

They then look at a cv, see 2 promotions and think 'ooh yep we'll get him and...oh look, we dont need to pay compo neither, great stuff!' - without, as per, looking beyond and underneath it to ascertain what kind of culture and character does the manager promote? passing football to get fans in? How was his success built on.....££££ not frees - here is the mistake.

Penney, for all his commendable effort, is limited to a league two mentality, sit deep and nick a goal. He hasnt made any effort to get into the psyche of the oldham fans, i.e. we dont really care what the results are, as long as we go for teams every game for 90mins with clear effort displayed, as was the case when shez first took over and we couldnt score, we still kept with the team because we could see that they were giving their all except scoring the goals.

The board have failed to do the above, appointed a manger who couldnt give two hoots about the paying fan and who plays the most negative football i think i have ever had the displeasure of watching. Saturday showed with Black that if we actually RUN at teams we may get somewhere.

The fans have rightly voted with their feet. We will not be continually fobbed off with crap every week for £20! I realise there is an eventual limit to what the owners can do, but if they are not prepared to invest in the team with the aim of getting promotion (no need to go wild spending wise, look at scunthorpe) then, really, why are they here???

Appoint crap, you get crap, product attractiveness falls = loss of revenue, nothing to do with the credit crunch in reality, although i agree £20 is too steep for the current dross on offer, a tiered pricing system would be a more sensible way to go ie set relative to the opposition/number of travelling fans expected/importance of fixtures etc.

If only they had waited 2 days and appointed Jim Gannon, we may be looking to the future in a more favourable light than we are now, or better still, sacked the incapable idiot (whitaker a CM playing on the LW says it all, goal or not) and appointed Gannon then. He would grab the club by the bollocks, get some ambition into the place from top to bottom and he has the added bonus of gettin non-league players to form exciting teams and bring in transfer revenues in the process, ala stockport.

You reap what you sow Alan and board, not a good outlook now is it....

If only we were as financially sound as Stockport.... :huh:

Unfortunately the way DP set out his team to play this season (last few games excepted) has mostly contributed to the drop in attendances and consequently revenue coming into the club - and now we have a dilemma - we cannot afford to get rid of him so we are stuck with the hope that he has turned a corner and next season will be better...

The only way out of this financial noose is for a sudden influx of cash from an unexpected source - so for feck's sake Harry get Micah Richards signed ! :ranting:

QUOTE (shefflatic @ Apr 26 2010, 17:02 PM)

Penney, for all his commendable effort, is limited to a league two mentality, sit deep and nick a goal. He hasnt made any effort to get into the psyche of the oldham fans, i.e. we dont really care what the results are, as long as we go for teams every game for 90mins with clear effort displayed,

Thats not my psyche at all. How many times do people say "I want to win ugly?" - Winning football attracts fans.

QUOTE (shefflatic @ Apr 26 2010, 17:02 PM)

Penney, for all his commendable effort, is limited to a league two mentality, sit deep and nick a goal. He hasnt made any effort to get into the psyche of the oldham fans, i.e. we dont really care what the results are, as long as we go for teams every game for 90mins with clear effort displayed,

Thats not my psyche at all. How many times do people say "I want to win ugly?" - Winning football attracts fans.

Too many times it's looked like they were trying to 'draw ugly'.